All Ireland Club Senior Semi-Finals

Started by armaghranger12, February 13, 2012, 02:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Really looking forward to the Crokes v Cross game. It could and probably will be of a better standard than many inter county games. Real contrast in styles between the 2 teams aswell, although both can mix it up a bit too. I was impressed with Cross in the Ballinderry game in particular..didn't panic even when the comeback was mounted and still kicked on to win the game. I think they will try to slow Crokes down on the ball and get the ball to Jamie Clarke first and foremost themselves. I don't know who Cross will put on Gooch (along with covering in front of him I'm guessing) but neither of the Crokes corner backs are top class, so Clarke could cause some difficulty for them if a lot of ball is going in.
Bookies have Cross 4/7 basis and I may have to back Crokes for sheer potential value as it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they kncoked in a few goals which proved match-winners. Overall though, all things considered, I think Cross will possibly come through by 1-3 points.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

regal

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on February 14, 2012, 09:55:25 AM
Really looking forward to the Crokes v Cross game. It could and probably will be of a better standard than many inter county games. Real contrast in styles between the 2 teams aswell, although both can mix it up a bit too. I was impressed with Cross in the Ballinderry game in particular..didn't panic even when the comeback was mounted and still kicked on to win the game. I think they will try to slow Crokes down on the ball and get the ball to Jamie Clarke first and foremost themselves. I don't know who Cross will put on Gooch (along with covering in front of him I'm guessing) but neither of the Crokes corner backs are top class, so Clarke could cause some difficulty for them if a lot of ball is going in.
Bookies have Cross 4/7 basis and I may have to back Crokes for sheer potential value as it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they kncoked in a few goals which proved match-winners. Overall though, all things considered, I think Cross will possibly come through by 1-3 points.

I don't think Cross will alter their tactics because of gooch. They will go man to man in defense whilst trying to limit the ball going into him. James morgan is an exceptional talent and will hopefully start on gooch. Does the gooch spend much time in the half forwards for his club?

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: regal on February 14, 2012, 10:09:19 AM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on February 14, 2012, 09:55:25 AM

I don't think Cross will alter their tactics because of gooch. They will go man to man in defense whilst trying to limit the ball going into him. James morgan is an exceptional talent and will hopefully start on gooch. Does the gooch spend much time in the half forwards for his club?

They can vary it and bring him out yeah...O'Leary and Doolin are natural corner-forwards aswell, so they don't mind that...and whatever about County level, but O'Leary is a potential match winner at this level. Gooch has a great understanding with him. Its all very well saying you'll stick with man to man and limit the ball coming in, but if Gooch is left 1 on 1, it means trouble so i would expect there to be a Cross man outside him at least 75% of the time he makes his first turn, if you know what i mean.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

rrhf

Did the Crokes manage to get a seperate area for their supporters or what way did that pan out?

armaghranger12

You must not spend much time watching Cross play. I have been watching them for many a year and I can't remember a game where they played with a sweeper and I don't think that they will change for this game and rightly so.  They will go man to man and if the defenders are not fit to do the job they were giving they will be taking off and a new defender in. I agree that O'Leary is a potential match winner but if the Cross midfielders and half Forwards put the pressure on their player like they have done all during Ulster and Last year the ball going into them players will be poor.

At the other end do the Crokes have good enough defenders to look after Clarke and Mc Conville?   

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghranger12 on February 14, 2012, 10:30:40 AM
You must not spend much time watching Cross play. I have been watching them for many a year and I can't remember a game where they played with a sweeper and I don't think that they will change for this game and rightly so.  They will go man to man and if the defenders are not fit to do the job they were giving they will be taking off and a new defender in. I agree that O'Leary is a potential match winner but if the Cross midfielders and half Forwards put the pressure on their player like they have done all during Ulster and Last year the ball going into them players will be poor.

At the other end do the Crokes have good enough defenders to look after Clarke and Mc Conville?

Hasn't been too many defenders that have managed Clarke. So picking up McConville who i think links up a lot of play is the main man to mark.

It's who has best prepared over the break that usually wins. Cross have been doing it right for so many years they will be properly prepared no matter what BC1 says here. If Crokes have prepared properly and geared their training around playing Cross and trying to work on their weakness (Ha Cross having weaknesses) then they might have a shot. If they are bullish to think 'we'll concentrate on our game' then they will get beat.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

How many All Irelands have Cross won, and how many Ulsters?

Edit, just went to their website to check. 5 and 8 respectively. That's a fair strike rate coming out of Ulster in fairness. I remember Portlaoise beat them, who else beat them?

armaghniac

I think Cross' have only been beaten in the AI series by Leinster teams. Portlaoise ( a surprise perhaps) and the Dublin mega clubs Kilmacud and Vincents. Time for Munster to strike a blow!
This game has several of the best forwards in Ireland on show, it should be great to watch. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

sheamy

TG4 have changed what they originally announced. Cross game is live now. Good stuff.

[Correction: It was the GAA press release which was wrong. TG4 were consistent]

Jinxy

I look forward to an in-depth gaaboard analysis of every single incident in the Cross-Crokes game.
Please support your conclusions with blurry photographs and slow-motion youtube clips.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

I might go and bring a camcorder. I'll have it focussed on poor Gooch. I expect to have to rate it '18' for extreme violence and, possibly, intimate scenes.

DuffleKing

Cross have regularly employed francie as a sweeper in latter years. In tony mc / gon's first year in charge they used this tactic in virtually every championship game

sheamy

Quote from: Jinxy on February 14, 2012, 12:18:54 PM
I look forward to an in-depth gaaboard analysis of every single incident in the Cross-Crokes game.
Please support your conclusions with blurry photographs and slow-motion youtube clips.

not forgetting the motto 'he who edits and uploads [to youtube] fastest, wins...'

'Mmmmm, Cross by 5 methinks'

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 14, 2012, 12:25:37 PM
I might go and bring a camcorder. I'll have it focussed on poor Gooch. I expect to have to rate it '18' for extreme violence and, possibly, intimate scenes.

Do really think Gooch will stoop that low, I alwasy thought he'd focus generally on his football.

We used a sweeper last year in a number of games but not once this year.  It is very much man for man and players have their own job to do. 

Canalman

They played a sweeper against KC last year in the AISF. 2 sweepers even after the sending off of Nolan.