Stephen Cluxton

Started by Tommo2, September 18, 2011, 05:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 18, 2011, 10:05:26 PM
Just looking at the Sunday Game there.  I was 1 minute from the time the foul was given when the ball went over.

No, it was longer than one minute--Sunday game cut out a fair  bit (including the shot of the Ref waving for Cluxton to hurry up)

Ref was gonna let play on till Kerry got a shot but shit them when the Dubs fans started booing and he immedietely blew the final whistle
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

deiseach

Quote from: Gold on September 18, 2011, 10:17:40 PM
No, it was longer than one minute--Sunday game cut out a fair  bit (including the shot of the Ref waving for Cluxton to hurry up)

The free was awarded at 70:50. Cluxton took the free at 71:51. So you're right, it was longer than a minute

Ref was gonna let play on till Kerry got a shot but shit them when the Dubs fans started booing and he immedietely blew the final whistle

Yes, that's exactly what happened

Gold

1 minute, 1 minute 1 seconds or more--it doesnt matter --the ref should've  made sure that that lost time was made up.

I dont care who won and was delighted for Cluxton to win but as i said in the Boxing Thread last week after McCloskey's ropey win--i like fair play and correct calls and think that at least a further minute should've been played.

How many kicks did Cluxton attempt in 2nd half?

His kicks, coupled with Dec O'Sullivan's injury and substitutions all equated to more than 2 mins injury time
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Orior

Quote from: stephenite on September 18, 2011, 06:00:41 PM
From kicking Oisin (I think?) in the hole and having his kick out strategy derided over the years, I have t say that I'm delighted for the guy, he's around a hell of a long time and deserves his All Ireland medal.

Looking back on that incident now with my rose tinted glasses, I think Oisin deserved it.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ONeill

Quote from: deiseach on September 18, 2011, 10:36:32 PM

The free was awarded at 70:50. Cluxton took the free at 71:51. So you're right, it was longer than a minute

Yea but hold on. Let's go through all free kicks and see how long they take. I'd imagine 30 seconds on average from time of award to sailing wide.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

ONeill do you teach Physics or English?

Just wondering like.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on September 18, 2011, 11:24:30 PM

Yea but hold on. Let's go through all free kicks and see how long they take. I'd imagine 30 seconds on average from time of award to sailing wide.

Mayo had a free tis year (Cillian O'Connor) disallowed for taking too long which was measured at 45 seconds (I think). That free didn't matter but the inconsistency is maddening.
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Quote from: Orior on September 18, 2011, 11:26:46 PM

Just wondering like.

Psychology.

Orior

Quote from: ONeill on September 18, 2011, 11:30:03 PM
Quote from: Orior on September 18, 2011, 11:26:46 PM

Just wondering like.

Psychology.

Well jack it in, and take up journalism. You've missed your vocation!

moysider

Quote from: muppet on September 18, 2011, 11:27:17 PM
Quote from: ONeill on September 18, 2011, 11:24:30 PM

Mayo had a free tis year (Cillian O'Connor) disallowed for taking too long which was measured at 45 seconds (I think). That free didn't matter but the inconsistency is maddening.

That free mattered very much at the time Muppet as you know well. They all do. I ve been thinking about that all evening and I m not happy with selective interpretations by refs. McQuillan made an empty gesture to try and get Cluxton to hurry up - at no stage did he break even into a jog - he strolled - McQ should have thrown up that ball or stopped watch. He did neither.

In fairness Cluxton did a great job. You have to use what your given. Why is the added time announced and why is time shown on the screen - and why any f**king screen at all. I d hope that a keeper of mine would do the same, and Cluxton did run down the clock with his stroll up the field. It s a no brainer. The free is a gimmie and at worst a wide and replay. Even if Ref pulled him for time wasting it would probably have been a draw. Ref bottled it but fair play to Cluxton for calling his bluff and nailing it. He did it.

ONeill

Stop watch from what point until when?

moysider

Quote from: ONeill on September 19, 2011, 12:26:26 AM

Time allowed for free to be taken.  If they are going for the posts. Watch stopped for those frees. Say 1 min to get free off . Sounds like rugby but so what. That today was a joke.

deiseach

Quote from: muppet on September 18, 2011, 11:27:17 PM

I'd completely agree with that. I'm mystified as to why the ref didn't play extra time, especially seeing as he was aware with his gesticulations to Cluxton as he ran up the field that there was time being wasted. The only thing I can think of is that referees are told to only implement injury time in units of one minute and he didn't feel the extra delay due to the goalie taking the free was sufficient to add a full minute. If this is the case, it's still daft. However, I don't buy the idea that the ref whistled up when he did to ensure Dublin won or that he was somehow influenced by the Hill.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: moysider on September 19, 2011, 12:34:25 AM
Quote from: ONeill on September 19, 2011, 12:26:26 AM

Time allowed for free to be taken.  If they are going for the posts. Watch stopped for those frees. Say 1 min to get free off . Sounds like rugby but so what. That today was a joke.

So is this idea in the rule book or do you think the ref should make up rules on the spot

nrico2006

Glad to see Cluxton hit the winner, seems a likeable fella who is one of the major reasons why Dublin won the All Ireland. 

As for those knocking the length of time it took from the foul to the free being hit, I bet you if you analysed most frees (that are not 20 yards in front of goal) that it takes the guts of a minute for them to be hit from the time the whistle is blew.  I would be more interested in seeing how much time that whinging bollox Donaghy wastes running around torturing referees or pushing boys in the back.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'