Stephen Cluxton

Started by Tommo2, September 18, 2011, 05:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

There's a shot of him on the news at 6 cracking a smile as he ran back towards his goal after the free. Some people are not very demonstrative.

Denn Forever

Saw him heading down the Tunnel with some of the Kerry lads.  Job well done.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Oak Leafer

I was not for any minute having a go at his footballing ability nor his deservance of a medal...however i still can't fathom how any team player wouldn't want to celebrate with his team-mates.

ONeill

Cluxton and McGeeney are Live at the Apollo next year.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

irunthev

Quote from: clarshack on September 18, 2011, 05:53:27 PM
cant mind if he has went out to australia to play in the compromise rules but surely if he's claustraphobic he'll not get on a plane?

He refused to go to Oz previously as he doesn't like flying. That's why he has been absent from so many test series.

To be a good keeper you have to be a bit nuts. Cluxton is easily the best... Therefore the nuttiest as well. I say that with authority as a former keeper.

muppet

I recall Cluxton walking off the pitch after the 2006 semi-final with an arm around Conor Mortimer.

Despite the obvious bitter disappointment he still went to congratulate his Sigerson team-mate. He may have known some of the Kerry lads and wanted to commiserate.
MWWSI 2017

ross matt

He's a fiercely driven individual who has carried huge responsibility on his shoulders (particularly this year with the frees etc). He is after nailing the winning score in the last minute of an AI final and reached the pinnacle of his career as a result. He's entitled to celebrate in any way he wants. Always comes across as a bit different so his reaction at the end today was consistent with him. Delighted for him.

Orangemac

Quote from: SHEEDY on September 18, 2011, 07:07:55 PM
delighted for cluxton and alan brogan. fully deserved after years of being nearly men.
+1. 2 stalwarts who deserve this day. Although Cluxton didn't have his best day in terms of kickouts, there was a 5 min spell in the 2nd half where Kerry must have won 5 or 6 in a row, a couple kicked straight to Kerry players.

Louth Exile

Quote from: Orangemac on September 18, 2011, 09:40:24 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on September 18, 2011, 07:07:55 PM
delighted for cluxton and alan brogan. fully deserved after years of being nearly men.
+1. 2 stalwarts who deserve this day. Although Cluxton didn't have his best day in terms of kickouts, there was a 5 min spell in the 2nd half where Kerry must have won 5 or 6 in a row, a couple kicked straight to Kerry players.
+2 I thought that barring that period he had a good game. He has set such high standards from his kickouts that we all notice when they don't go to plan. Its not as if its the first time he has went straight down the tunnell. Have you seen the players bar? He probably just wanted to get in for a free (and well deserved) beer  ;)
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

imtommygunn

I doubt there's ever been a keeper who's been more influential on a team.

His kickouts have been instrumental in Dublin winning this. They weren't as good today mind.

Also thought it strange he didn't go up the steps. Wonder will he be on sunday game tonight.

lenny

Delighted that Dublin won. I love their brand of football and they have been involved in some great games in the last few years. However does anybody else think that the current trend of getting keepers up to take frees and 45s has to be looked at by the GAA authorities. When you consider how long it takes each time for the keeper to make his way up the pitch to take the free it wastes a lot of time. If an outfield player took the same amount of time over a free the ball would be hopped.

Jinxy

The best goalkeeper in the history of gaelic football.
If he wants to get away quickly to watch X-Factor that's his business.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Louth Exile

Quote from: lenny on September 18, 2011, 09:54:38 PM
Delighted that Dublin won. I love their brand of football and they have been involved in some great games in the last few years. However does anybody else think that the current trend of getting keepers up to take frees and 45s has to be looked at by the GAA authorities. When you consider how long it takes each time for the keeper to make his way up the pitch to take the free it wastes a lot of time. If an outfield player took the same amount of time over a free the ball would be hopped.

Straight answer - No!

Has a keeper ever won the player of the year?! He has to be in the running surely?
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Denn Forever

Just looking at the Sunday Game there.  I was 1 minute from the time the foul was given when the ball went over.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

imtommygunn

Definitely doesn't like the spotlight - not looking too comfortable!