Stephen Cluxton

Started by Tommo2, September 18, 2011, 05:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommysmith

Quote from: deiseach on September 19, 2011, 08:23:00 AM
Quote from: muppet on September 18, 2011, 11:27:17 PM
Mayo had a free tis year (Cillian O'Connor) disallowed for taking too long which was measured at 45 seconds (I think). That free didn't matter but the inconsistency is maddening.

I'd completely agree with that. I'm mystified as to why the ref didn't play extra time, especially seeing as he was aware with his gesticulations to Cluxton as he ran up the field that there was time being wasted. The only thing I can think of is that referees are told to only implement injury time in units of one minute and he didn't feel the extra delay due to the goalie taking the free was sufficient to add a full minute. If this is the case, it's still daft. However, I don't buy the idea that the ref whistled up when he did to ensure Dublin won or that he was somehow influenced by the Hill.

He does seem to referee alot of Dublin games and and in my opinion seems to lean towards them in 50-50 calls. 

moysider

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 19, 2011, 08:33:42 AM
Quote from: moysider on September 19, 2011, 12:34:25 AM
Quote from: ONeill on September 19, 2011, 12:26:26 AM
Stop watch from what point until when?

Time allowed for free to be taken.  If they are going for the posts. Watch stopped for those frees. Say 1 min to get free off . Sounds like rugby but so what. That today was a joke.

So is this idea in the rule book or do you think the ref should make up rules on the spot

No, not in rule book, but at the moment the refs seem to be making things up as they go. You get a ref throwing up a ball for time wasting in one game and no action taken in another.

here comes 6

this tread is about Cluxton NOT the referee or anybody else

tommysmith

Quote from: here comes 6 on September 19, 2011, 09:50:27 AM

What you getting wound up about?

boojangles

Quote from: tommysmith on September 19, 2011, 08:46:57 AM
Mayo had a free tis year (Cillian O'Connor) disallowed for taking too long which was measured at 45 seconds (I think). That free didn't matter but the inconsistency is maddening.

I'd completely agree with that. I'm mystified as to why the ref didn't play extra time, especially seeing as he was aware with his gesticulations to Cluxton as he ran up the field that there was time being wasted. The only thing I can think of is that referees are told to only implement injury time in units of one minute and he didn't feel the extra delay due to the goalie taking the free was sufficient to add a full minute. If this is the case, it's still daft. However, I don't buy the idea that the ref whistled up when he did to ensure Dublin won or that he was somehow influenced by the Hill.

He does seem to referee alot of Dublin games and and in my opinion seems to lean towards them in 50-50 calls.

Were you at the Dublin-Tyrone match this year Tommy?

tommysmith

Quote from: boojangles on September 19, 2011, 10:52:09 AM

No were you?

boojangles

Quote from: tommysmith on September 19, 2011, 11:20:21 AM
Quote from: boojangles on September 19, 2011, 10:52:09 AM

No were you?

I was Tommy. If you were at that game there is no way you would say he has gives the Dubs most 50-50s. The Dublin crowd were booing him on at least 6 occasions. Some decisions he gave that day against Dublin left me scratching my head. Just ask the Tyrone posters.

In Cavan I never liked Joe as a referee and have good reason to but I'd stand up for him yesterday. Over the whole game I felt that things evened out.

tommysmith

I didnt see that game so i cannot comment on it, its just my opinion anyway.

Applesisapples

All the debate about the time over the free is missing the point, with 4 minutes to go Kerry had the game sewn up and couldn't close it out. Even when the Dubs equalised they wasted opportunities to get back in front. So fair play to Cluxton and the Dubs. It's nice to see a different name on the trophy.

INDIANA

Quote from: tommysmith on September 19, 2011, 11:35:42 AM
I didnt see that game so i cannot comment on it, its just my opinion anyway.

No argument about the best keeper in the country.

Balls of steel.

deiseach

Getting back to Cluxton, Colm Keys said in today's Indo that Cluxton 'lists "not speaking to the media" as the best advice he has ever received in his personal profile on the Dublin website'. Can't find that, but it sounds plausible

mckieran

QuoteOver the whole game I felt that things evened out.

Just because things "evened" out does not mean the ref did a good job.....

INDIANA

Quote from: deiseach on September 19, 2011, 12:46:55 PM

Getting back to Cluxton, Colm Keys said in today's Indo that Cluxton 'lists "not speaking to the media" as the best advice he has ever received in his personal profile on the Dublin website'. Can't find that, but it sounds plausible

quiet lad. Doesnt speak to the media. Keeps to himself. One of the best keepers of all time in my view. Better then O Leary IMO.

Doogie Browser

It was a real hollywood ending, all year it has been thrown at the Dubs that their 3rd/4th etc highest scorer as the Championship went on was their keeper and that this would count against them, for him to then step up at that stage with the associated pressure and knock it over was sensational.  Delighted for him.

deiseach

Quote from: mckieran on September 19, 2011, 12:50:59 PM
QuoteOver the whole game I felt that things evened out.

Just because things "evened" out does not mean the ref did a good job.....

Good point. Kerry could plausibly claim that the reason things 'evened out' was because the ref could hardly do anything but give frees to Kerry between the 40th and 60th minute when Dublin were in full retreat. It is to the very great credit of Kerry folk that I'm not seeing anything along those lines from them. Okay, I'm going to lie down now . . .