Tommy Walsh - Kerry

Started by Jinxy, July 02, 2011, 10:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcarrier

How they all did...

QuoteAUSTRALIAN RULES : TOMMY WALSH said that playing his first AFL match was "worth the wait" after he scored two goals as Sydney Swans trounced Melbourne Demons 138-37 in Saturday's round eight game. Walsh is in his third season Down Under, having spent the first two with St Kilda before joining the Swans in the off-season.

He had to be patient as Sydney got off to a brilliant start to the current campaign, but a combination of injuries and losing their last two games saw the 24-year-old given this opportunity. He took it well, using his size and strength effectively to accumulate 14 possessions, 10 of them in contests. He also claimed six marks and for good measure, made four tackles.

Wearing the number 17 jersey made famous in Sydney by his former Kerry team-mate Tadhg Kennelly, Walsh kicked his first goal from five yards in the second quarter. His second arrived in the third quarter after a powerful mark under pressure.

Kennelly was commentating on the game and predicted a bright future for the Tralee man, even if his introduction to top flight Aussie rules was a gentle one.

Melbourne were so poor that Kennelly said their former star player and president, the late Jim Stynes "would be turning in his grave" but that will not detract from the occasion as far as Walsh is concerned.

"Was it worth the wait? Yeah it was" he said afterwards. "It was special being my first game and everything, but the most important thing was we won the game."

Coach John Longmire was also pleased: "I thought he improved as the game went," he said. "There were a couple of really strong efforts he was able to do in our forward line."

Of the other Irish in action, Pearce Hanley clocked up a brilliant 29 touches as Brisbane trounced GWS by 92 points. The Ballaghaderreen man took 10 marks and won seven one-percenters.

Martin Clarke was effective as Collingwood emerged successful from the repeat of last year's Grand Final, two late goals seeing off Geelong. It was a weekend to forget for Zach Tuohy, though, as he managed just eight disposals as Carlton were thumped by Adelaide 124-55.

AZOffaly

WTF is a 'one percenter'?

ExiledGael

Great to see him impressing but Melbourne obviously brutal. There's a mark about two thirds into that clip that is the best piece of AFL action I've ever seen. Thanks for posting that.

Keane

lol at the likes of Jinxy telling him to come home after being out there about twenty minutes.

Jinxy

Em, it's his 3rd year out there and this was his first game.
I'll wait till he plays a couple of games against decent teams before I change my mind.
I'd have scored against that crowd they played at the weekend.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Whishtup

That was some mark-probably the best I've seen.  Think he was a good height before he got the leverage off yer man's back.  It's at 1:57. 

Keane

Quote from: Jinxy on May 21, 2012, 07:31:33 PM
Em, it's his 3rd year out there and this was his first game.
I'll wait till he plays a couple of games against decent teams before I change my mind.
I'd have scored against that crowd they played at the weekend.

It's the START of his third year playing a game he never played amongst squads of people who have played all their lives training in fully professional setups - in many cases with one another - who are strangers to him. He's also moved to the other side of the world away from most of the people he knows. Expecting someone to stroll into a team under those circumstances is moronic, as evidenced by the number of guys who have crashed and burned in the last couple of years after being thrown in at the deep end.

Two full years is a fairly minimal timeframe for a player for a player to adjust to an entirely new sport and way of life if you're looking for a sensible approach that gives a guy a chance at longevity and doesn't just chew them up for a few games, or even a couple of seasons, before spitting them back to where they came from.

Syferus

Sure he'd never come home, he might have to play Donie again.. not saying Kerry are about to be dumped out into Round 1, or anything. But I am.

Keane

It's amazing how the scouts never tried to bring Donie over.

Tommy keeps his place for this weekend's game anyway:

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/136777/default.aspx

Syferus

Quote from: Keane on May 24, 2012, 10:47:26 AM
It's amazing how the scouts never tried to bring Donie over.

Tommy keeps his place for this weekend's game anyway:

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/136777/default.aspx

Planes aren't able to transport that much talent yet, and Donie's not too fond of boats.

omagh_gael

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Mike Sheehy

omagh_gael

Came across the match report and prefixed it with the briefest of comment and you managed to infer that im a spiteful nordie. Grow up. I'm delighted that the fella is doing good for himself, appears to be a decent spud. Plus, it means that if we meet Kerry later in the year it's one less danger man for the McMahon's to put in their back pockets.