Tommy Walsh - Kerry

Started by Jinxy, July 02, 2011, 10:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

How many GAA people went to Rules?
How many got past Rookie stage?
How many Professionals came back?

If the GAA started saying don't go to AFL or you'll come back wrecked - they'd soon find themselves being sued.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

omaghjoe

Well I wasn't thinking quite like that, more a before and after type thing. But you are right investigating another sport could leave the GAA in a precarious position. Dont know about getting sued tho but it might end strain relations with the AFL enough to put the Compromise rules to an end once and for all, so that might be a positive.

Anyway maybe a bit of investigative journalism might be a better way of shedding a bit of light of the darker side of Aussie rules. It would at least makes lads aware of whats at stake.

I know one thing, pretending there is not an issue is no way to go. There maybe an issue and young lads headed off there should have a right to know.

DuffleKing

Quote from: omaghjoe on April 30, 2016, 12:19:19 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on April 29, 2016, 10:55:13 PM
You want the GAA to investigate injuries former GAA players pick up playing another sport?? :o
It would help give existing players and potential future stars a better picture of what they are getting into by partaking in that sport. You'll be waiting a while for the AFL to give themselves a bad name and put off potential players.

Should the gaa similarly produce a document outlining the dangers of playing soccer, rugby, judo, drink, women, etc?

rrhf

Certainly there's a few could do with the women document.

Rossfan

That seems to be his point alright :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

Most of the lads that go over are well-educated and surrounded by good people here who can advise them on the bigger picture.
It's ultimately their decision, however, and that's the way it should be.
Some will go, find it's not for them, and come home pretty quickly.
Some will go, give it a lash, pick up a few injuries and come home.
Some will go, give it a lash and just not make the cut and come home.
Some will go, give it a lash, make the cut and get to live as a pro sportsman for a few years.
Such is life.
The numbers that do go over are but a drop in the ocean.
No need for the GAA to get involved in any of it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jinxy

The Tommy Walsh that went to Australia would be a serious addition to this Kerry team.
The Tommy Walsh that came back from Australia would be little or no addition to this Kerry team.

Jinxy

Hopefully.
He won't get back the pace he lost though.

Ethan Tremblay

Just in line with the earlier topic, I see Kevin Dyas has picked up another injury...
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on May 05, 2016, 10:07:12 AM
Hopefully.

Big helfers don't need much pace. The pace thing is being overplayed. I'd be more worried about his agility and ability to change directions.

rosnarun

Quote from: Syferus on May 05, 2016, 01:05:30 PM
Hopefully.

Big helfers don't need much pace. The pace thing is being overplayed. I'd be more worried about his agility and ability to change directions.
I think youll find pace and ability to think quickly are the main difference between a intercounty player and a good club player 
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Unlaoised

Colm Begely went for a good few years but came back and with out setting the world alight he certainly has been a decent servant to Laois

He was away for 5 years and came back in 2010 he has been a consistent performer for both Laois and DCU and also Parnells in dublin...

He has just rejoined his home club in Stradbally and will be a welcome addition I think he is still only 29
LAOIS ABÚ

heffo

Quote from: Syferus on May 05, 2016, 01:05:30 PM
Hopefully.

Have you not been watching IC Football for the last five years?

Jinxy

Just had a look at some of the aussie rules forums.
I think Mayo folk should probably give up on the idea of Hanley coming back to play for them at some point.
Sounds like he's struggling badly with chronic injury.
He's still playing every week but he's not half the player he was.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on May 28, 2016, 12:50:41 PM
Just had a look at some of the aussie rules forums.
I think Mayo folk should probably give up on the idea of Hanley coming back to play for them at some point.
Sounds like he's struggling badly with chronic injury.
He's still playing every week but he's not half the player he was.

You could nearly be talking about either Hanley. He signed a contract that keeps him in Brisbane 'till 2019 recently so I wouldn't believe everything you read.

http://www.the42.ie/pearce-hanely-afl-2718894-Apr2016/