Wee James Is The New Down Manager

Started by Cúig huaire, July 28, 2009, 11:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: imagine on July 29, 2009, 10:01:51 AM
Quote from: thebandit on July 29, 2009, 09:35:45 AM
Aidan O'Rourke, he has intercounty managerial experience.

Where and when did  he gain that experience?

McKenna Cup
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: imagine on July 29, 2009, 10:41:43 AM
Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on July 29, 2009, 10:29:37 AM
The Down County Board have excelled yet again - 'be careful what you wish for' springs to mind here.
In my opinion Ross Carr should have been given one final year - whoever takes over as manager of Down will have to deal with the same pool of players, the same 'jobs for the boys' county board and the same negativity from down fans, who only 5/6 games ago were praising the down team, as the next best thing...
When Down beat Tyrone last year, i was one of the Tyrone fans who had a niggling feeling that Micky Harte had run his course - there were more exaggerated views than this towards Micky and as the season progressed, with poor performances against Wastmeath adn Mayo, the number of people calling for his removal increased - how wrong the average fan is....

Same as now - I have never managed a team at any level, but by the sounds of the Down fans here, they are all fairly experienced with team/man/player/ego management.

I am sad to see Carr go - and whilst the 'who's next' campiagn continues at a pace, I hope that he will be remembered for his on-field and off-field contribution to your county

Can you please go and comment on matters Tyrone or in your new home county?
I rest my case
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

swagger

the county needs a manger that the players will run through brick walls for. Providing he's up for it, give the job to pete mc grath. Lets face it, if he cant do something we may pack it in and support the hurlers full time!
riiiiiiiiiite

niveaformen

The problem with Down supporters is that we think we have a God given right to be challengers for the All-Ireland, but it's time to wake up and smell the coffee. The players just aren't up to standard at the minute.
With regards to a new manager, think it has to be someone from outside the county, not Pete.

Fear Boirche

I think they'll try and exhaust all the possibilities within the county before looking outside.
Think Mark Turley is worth a shout, he knows the best the talent that's coming through in the county having been involved in developlment squads and minor set-up for a good few years.

Peoples' reservations with Pete McGrath may be based on the fact that the game has moved on considerably since he won the All-Ireland in 91 and 94, but he has shown with his success with the U21 that those fears are unfounded.

Would love to see Pete get it with maybe Wee James as his number two (if that's possible!)

lfdown2

cant be Pete lost the dressing room last time round with a number of players that are still there and is outdated training and tactical-wise, yes done great work with the U21's however anyone can see the difference in U21 and Senior football-senior football is not a case of trying to outscore the opposition.

honestly would like someone from outside the county, Down may not have the top players in Ireland but there is a decent base of players there who if drilled in a system of play could take a few scalps.

drici

Ballyholland wins the Galway Plate at 16/1.

5 Sams

Quote from: drici on July 29, 2009, 04:32:55 PM
Ballyholland wins the Galway Plate at 16/1.

...AND i'M PROBABLY THE ONLY DICKHEAD FROM BALLYHOLLAND THAT WASN'T ON IT :'( :'(
The Aristocrat Years

Dubh driocht

Mark Turley my arse .
NaomhBridabu has got it exactly right.

Mid Down Gael

Mark Turley would be a disaster.

niveaformen

Quote from: imagine on July 29, 2009, 07:55:48 PM
Quote from: Dubh driocht on July 29, 2009, 07:24:40 PM
Mark Turley my arse .
NaomhBridabu has got it exactly right.

What exactly has Tyrone/Antrim St Brigids abu got right? 
Ross was voted by a 4 to 1 majority  which in another thread you called mob-rule.
The vote last night was done I'm led to believe by secret ballot where people are free to vote without worrying who
sees them or otherwise.
   It's that secret that we are going to have a job seeing how are rep voted but his vote hardly was the making or breaking of Ross
Mark Turley would be better than Ross.

The fact that Mark Turley would make a good senior manager is laughable :D

Bitta-Banter

Turley?Wouldnt last too long

I'd go for Brian McIvor if he's interested

The Worker

Id like to see wee James given the job, he done a great job with Queens, done well with St. Galls and seems to be doing ok, with ballinderry at present! 

Orior

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on July 29, 2009, 07:26:42 PM
Mark Turley would be a disaster.

His CV says that he managed Down minors to all-ireland success. Are you saying thats easy and anyone could have done it?

What else does he need to have achieved?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

DownFanatic

I think Im one of the few who is sad to see Ross leave.

By and large we had the best players from the county on the panel this year (cue Mid Down Gael's Kilcoo under - representation rant). However, we have what we have. Apart from Luke Howard and Aidan Carr we dont have any other top notch Senior Intercounty standard defenders. We have decent enough midfield and forward options but only three or four of these players showed any type of form this year.

We can critiscise Ross for implementing wrong tactics or for that matter not using tactics at all. But, at the end of the day there is only so much you can get out of tactics if you don't have the quality of player for them to be successful.

The way forward for Down I think is to abandon our outdated and unbridled all out attack system. We need to get ugly. We need a defensive system which reeks of negativity but one which will provide a solid platform. We have the attackers capable of winning games but once we sort out our achilles heel (our defence) we will be well on to road to recovery. The next new manager will need to unearth a few more intelligent defenders capable of playing to an effective system.

Who that manager is, I don't know. Personally, I would of give Ross another year with a capable right hand man and Tally in training the team again.

The usual names will be bandied about and the usual ex players and that will be talked about but the one man Id like to see in the reckoning is PJ Magee. PJ seems to be a manager that plays to his strengths. Any time Ive watched any of his teams they always seem to be tactically aware, confident on the ball and astute enough to react to in game situations.

PJ has vast experience and success in Down circles, not only at club level but colleges level as well. He is well respected and a man who I think can turn this once proud county in to a new force.