“The Chickens Came Home to Roost”

Started by ziggysego, July 10, 2009, 01:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: thebandit on July 10, 2009, 09:51:31 AM
Where would the 5% go if it was given to them?

How much would be eaten up in "administrative costs?"

They have to cover Dessies wages somehow without eating into the contributions from the poor hard-pressed inter-County players. ::)

ONeill

Oh Jaysus, what a load of whimsical bollox.

This is the same ofwanbelief that made a hoopla a year ago and then disappeared - no protests, no voice - and celebrated Tyrone's win, celebrated the same players who quietly received the grants that they attempted to rally against. Then they jump on Cooney's bandwagon with the same old romantic nonsense. I can't believe they mention washing jerseys again... Please don't think you or anyone else had any influence in Cooney's admirably strong statement.

What Cooney has rightly recognised is this - the GPA are correct in what they are trying to achieve/address but they will do it on the GAA's terms. Dessie is a poor figure head for a player body and if I was an inter-county player I'd be calling for a more palatable leader who is willing to adhere to the ethos of our Games as well as work in the best interests of our players.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: ONeill on July 10, 2009, 12:33:20 PM

This is the same ofwanbelief that made a hoopla a year ago and then disappeared - no protests, no voice - and celebrated Tyrone's win, celebrated the same players who quietly received the grants that they attempted to rally against. Then they jump on Cooney's bandwagon with the same old romantic nonsense. I can't believe they mention washing jerseys again... Please don't think you or anyone else had any influence in Cooney's admirably strong statement.

What Cooney has rightly recognised is this - the GPA are correct in what they are trying to achieve/address but they will do it on the GAA's terms. Dessie is a poor figure head for a player body and if I was an inter-county player I'd be calling for a more palatable leader who is willing to adhere to the ethos of our Games as well as work in the best interests of our players.

What is it they are trying to achieve...apart from taking some massive steps backwards in recent weeks?  What the GPA (whatever it is) need to realise is what anyone with an ounce of PR nous can see staring them in the face.  Dessie and Donal Og are the two most divisive figures in gaelic games at the moment and they should f**k up for a week or two
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

sizzler

In fairness O'neill the article makes a number of relevant points that need answered. What I would like to know, among other things, is who qualifies to be a member of the GPA? Are you only eligible if you ar a current county squad member? Will this limit the squad numbers? Are past players eligible to be members? How many years do we go back? Where is it going to end? The "Of one voice" brigade are at least raising these issues and others, and I for one am glad someone is asking questions.

Great Article by the way Ziggy.

ziggysego

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on July 10, 2009, 11:26:22 AM
Is the statement not from "Of One Belief"??  I'd say Mark Conway had a hand in this!

Correct QMP.
Testing Accessibility

heffo

This is the same ofwanbelief that made a hoopla a year ago and then disappeared - no protests, no voice - and celebrated Tyrone's win, celebrated the same players who quietly received the grants that they attempted to rally against. Then they jump on Cooney's bandwagon with the same old romantic nonsense.

Cmon O'Neill - do your homework

They disbanded last year after failing in their efforts (as far as the DRA) to prevent the grants to IC players. They'd exhausted all the means within the GAA to prevent them and failed.

They've released a well thought out statement in response to the GPA's demand for millions this week.

Unlike Cooney who has full time professionals to write his press releases, they're volunteers who possibly don't have the same amount of spare time to prepare detailed responses to the GPA..

orangeman

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on July 10, 2009, 01:00:33 PM

What is it they are trying to achieve...apart from taking some massive steps backwards in recent weeks?  What the GPA (whatever it is) need to realise is what anyone with an ounce of PR nous can see staring them in the face.  Dessie and Donal Og are the two most divisive figures in gaelic games at the moment and they should f**k up for a week or two

It would be better all round if they were replaced totally - that picture of Dessie and Donal at the most recent press conference had most people seething.

The GPA weould do well to appoint new, more diplomatic, more media savy representatives.

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on July 10, 2009, 01:58:55 PM

It would be better all round if they were replaced totally - that picture of Dessie and Donal at the most recent press conference had most people seething.

The GPA weould do well to appoint new, more diplomatic, more media savy representatives.

I agree 100% - their presence riles too many people.

The GPA have senior articulate, media savvy guys in top positions (who didn't play IC) - I don't see why they aren't used more..

behind the wire

Quote from: orangeman on July 10, 2009, 01:58:55 PM

I think you are right there orangeman.

i dont think anyone has any difficulty with the presence of a player welfare body that looks after player needs such as insurance, injury schemes or even help with employment. I think this is what fergal mccusker etc had envisaged when setting up the organisation.

the main issue that general GAA members appear to have with the GPA is that they are an unelected bunch purporting to represent what is a tiny elite band of GAA member and have basically burst into OUR association and began making all sorts of demands. It appears to me that Dessie and Donal Og will not be happy until 1) pay for play of some kind is introduced. 2) they get a good strike of some sort.
They try to make it look as if they are working for 'player welfare' simply to attempt to justify their actions.

For the reasons outlined above and because of the GPA leaderships general demeanour and the way they go about their business i do not believe that they will ever be able to garnish enough support from general gaa members or be able to perform any sort of reconciliation with the gaa.
***This is not even taking into account the excellent points bud made earlier in the thread regarding their business plan and lack of accountability etc.

In respect of the article posted by ziggy i think it is an excellent peice and addresses many important issues.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

INDIANA

Because they see themselves as the cash generators for the organisation they believe the balance of power exists with them. Ie through using strikes etc. Now if a strike was called- I would never go to watch Dublin again as long as any of the strikers were involved. But i'm not so sure everybody else would. Thats what they are banking on. Has the majority of the Gaa membership got the bottle to see this through to the end? The GPA believe they don't. And that is where this battle will be won and lost.

Aughafad

Very good article in todays Gaelic life by Declan bogue regarding the GPA. He brings up one issue I've always wondered about, how can ex-players still be members of the GPA and how can a body that is all about player welfare stop any player joining as in the cork hurlers brought in during the latest strike?

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on July 10, 2009, 02:25:21 PM
Because they see themselves as the cash generators for the organisation they believe the balance of power exists with them. Ie through using strikes etc. Now if a strike was called- I would never go to watch Dublin again as long as any of the strikers were involved. But i'm not so sure everybody else would. Thats what they are banking on. Has the majority of the Gaa membership got the bottle to see this through to the end? The GPA believe they don't. And that is where this battle will be won and lost.

I think this is where th GPA are coming from - the GPA who allegedly were involved to some degree in the Cork strikes have seen that they can over throw the GAA county boards. Ok this last Cork strike took longer to resolve than they thought. But the GPA are sure that they can win the hearts and minds of most people by going on strike in the middle of the gaa season. Historically the GPA have realised that there's no point in starting any of these threats in October - April  - low / closed season for the GAA. So they're turning up the heat in July - high season for the GAA.

The day they go on strike, they're finished.

So I hope they DO press the nuclear button.

highorlow

QuoteThe day they go on strike, they're finished.

So I hope they DO press the nuclear button

I would be of the same belief. If they strike they are finished, and whatever small public opinion that's left in their favour at this stage would be gone.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on July 10, 2009, 02:30:30 PM
I think this is where th GPA are coming from - the GPA who allegedly were involved to some degree in the Cork strikes have seen that they can over throw the GAA county boards. Ok this last Cork strike took longer to resolve than they thought. But the GPA are sure that they can win the hearts and minds of most people by going on strike in the middle of the gaa season. Historically the GPA have realised that there's no point in starting any of these threats in October - April  - low / closed season for the GAA. So they're turning up the heat in July - high season for the GAA.

The day they go on strike, they're finished.

So I hope they DO press the nuclear button.

Which threats are you referring to that only started in the summer? did the cork strike not start in the autumn?

rosnarun

any thruth in the rumour Of one belief are looking for 2% of CLG income in order to keep alive the amateur spirit of CLG
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere