Laois Senior Hurling Championship 2021

Started by SCFC, August 29, 2021, 11:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ottoman

Quote from: Tintin84 on October 11, 2021, 12:14:08 AM
Depressing to see the negativey  towards Rosenallis today and overall throughout the year in both hurling and football, They are the only senior dual club in the county, and should possibly be in a county semi final if they took their chances. I don't believe the crap RE were only in 1st 2nd gear. If the ref had any balls today ge should of let the last puck out happen instead of blowing up just after Rosenallis get the goal.

This is a club thats putting it up against the likes of the 2nd favourite team in RE in hurling championship and probably 3rd best team in football Championship O'Dempseys and their only training a quarter of what the non dual clubs are training and still there competing at the highest level. Fair play to the club and management of both sectors.

What?? Rosenallis are a credit to the county...what negativity was there here about them today?

blueandwhite1

I think that most people are impressed by what Rosenallis have achieved but they need a few more good hurlers to be able to break into the top 4. Maybe with the impressive underage structures they can make it happen and good luck to them. The hurling community is small in Laois and we need more competitive clubs like Rosenallis. However, Rathdowney Errill were fairly horrendous yesterday compared with what they can be and I believe any one of Camross, C/B or B/K would have beaten them comprehensively on that performance. Rosenallis never really looked like they were going to do anything until the last two or three minutes.

Robbo

Senior:
Think Camross will beat Borris/Kil if its a close one. I think Borris have better forwards but this camross team are improving and will fancy the battle.

Ballacolla have never done back-to-back and i dont think they will this year. Rathdowney will be missing Mark Kav but they'll be well up for this and I think if it's a battle; they have more in them and will want it more. They wont give Dunphy or Maher any space. That'll win it for them.

Premier Intermediate:
Very confident Ballyfin will win. Power and pace in the middle and scorers up front. I think this will be the only one-sided game of the weekend.

The other game could be close. Hard to call. I thought Portlaoise would win but I've heard rumours of injuries and maybe that might unsettle things. Ill go with Cha to get Ballnakill over the line.

Hope the two first teams win the junior finals. No offence to the second teams. Think trumera will but pickas could be in trouble if the ballyroan footballers release all their players to hurl with Abbyleix.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Don't see R/E beating C/B at all, they haven't looked good at all since the opening round against Camross and obviously have injuries to key players. C/B by 5.

The other semi is a really difficult one to call. Camross have improved with every game they've played and I'd give the slight nod to them. Camross by 1 or 2, wouldn't be surprised if extra time is required.

Portlaoise and Ballyfin to win the Premier Intermediate semi's, haven't been too impressed with Ballinakill this year and Camross clearly the weakest of the four left. Trumera to edge C/B in the Intermediate final this evening.

ottoman

Quote from: Robbo on October 22, 2021, 10:42:49 AM
Senior:
Think Camross will beat Borris/Kil if its a close one. I think Borris have better forwards but this camross team are improving and will fancy the battle.

Ballacolla have never done back-to-back and i dont think they will this year. Rathdowney will be missing Mark Kav but they'll be well up for this and I think if it's a battle; they have more in them and will want it more. They wont give Dunphy or Maher any space. That'll win it for them.

Premier Intermediate:
Very confident Ballyfin will win. Power and pace in the middle and scorers up front. I think this will be the only one-sided game of the weekend.

The other game could be close. Hard to call. I thought Portlaoise would win but I've heard rumours of injuries and maybe that might unsettle things. Ill go with Cha to get Ballnakill over the line.

Hope the two first teams win the junior finals. No offence to the second teams. Think trumera will but pickas could be in trouble if the ballyroan footballers release all their players to hurl with Abbyleix.

God I don't know where that confidence in RE has come from, I though they have been very poor for most of this year. Think CB will win it by 4or5...

I agree on the other game, Camross are slowly getting back into it the last few weeks and I think they will beat BK this weekend and win the final in 2 weeks!! You heard it here first....haha

Laois man

Great win for Trumrea I have a feeling it could be a bad weekend for Cbolla.

Robbo

Quote from: Laois man on October 22, 2021, 10:07:16 PM
Great win for Trumrea I have a feeling it could be a bad weekend for Cbolla.

I think so too.

Ogie

I think Clough Ballacolla will beat Rathdowney Errill tomorrow they seem to be hurling confidently & settled into their game plan, only issue is whether they've been tested enough in the last three games if Hennessey & Walsh in particular are out it gives RE a chance but without kavangh & mcginley  might struggle to get a big enough score, need Paddy Purcell to be outstanding for the hour

And where had all the confidence in Camross come from ? They've beaten the worst two teams in the Senior Championship, Borris Kilcotton beat them by 8 the last day without Joe Campion & Stephen Phelan
I do expect it to be a lot closer but I'd expect a BK win, surprised bookies & media all going with Camross.

Robbo

Have to admit I was impressed with ballinakill today. They were def the best team on show and have improved since their first game. Probably the favourites to go back senior now.

Ballyfin never really got into ther stride and didn't manage the conditions well. camross were the better team at times but some of their discipline let them down. Some achievement to have a 2nd team that good after seniors using 24/25 players.

Keyser Söze

As far as I know l, the bookies have Rathdowney & Borris favourites and I think they are correct on both counts!

I'd question the basis for the reports of the Camross improvement.
When you bring Abbeyleix & Castletown's performances against The Harps & Clough Ballacolla into the picture it really doesn't look like a big improvement.
They have changed along the way this year, have they improved?
If so, have they improved significantly?
I don't think so. It'll be a tight game though. From what I hear, the Borris camp has settled a bit again. Things certainly weren't good for a while.
I'd fancy them by 5 or 6 points.

More conflicted on the other one. The Harps & Castletown put in a showing for 30 minutes each. Other than that it has been a procession for Clough Ballacolla.
Even with injuries, I think Rathdowney Errill have more effective players to bring in and that might make the difference.
It's a bit of a coin toss, but RE always appear that bit more measured in their use of the ball. Clough Ballacolla to me tend to be more direct. Will trying to keep the ball in current conditions (both underfoot and over head) be the key or the rock to perish on? I think it'll be the way to another county final for Rathdowney Errill.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Keyser Söze

How wrong I was.
Very poor from Rathdowney Errill, who will be disappointed with themselves.
Had a good view of the sending off incident. No arguments. He had to go.

Credit to Ballacolla.  That took serious digging in.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Robbo

Credit to Ballacolla but Rathdowney need to have a hard look at themselves. If the wind was anywhere near as strong as Saturday evening then playing a sweeper in the 1 half cost them. The sending-off was cancelled out by the wind after that. Ballacolla fought like lions, got a few soft frees and deserved the win. Robbie whelan brilliant again.

I missed a good chunk of the borris game but they were miles better than camross. Loads of scoring options and very tight at the back. Matthew Whelan deserves one more championship at least. He cleaned Keenan and I think he'll be very important in the final.

Hard final to call. A November final will be a lot different to one in August. Especially on that pitch.

ottoman

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 24, 2021, 06:04:40 PM
How wrong I was.
Very poor from Rathdowney Errill, who will be disappointed with themselves.
Had a good view of the sending off incident. No arguments. He had to go.

Credit to Ballacolla.  That took serious digging in.

The only thing I found odd about the situation was I don't think he even carded the Rathdowney player for his initial strike in the incidence, I think the card went to the number 7. I thought it was going to be 2 straight reds....I said earlier on the forum that I didn't think RE would win as they haven't impressed me at all this year and it was the case again. So many of their top players seem off it, I know they rallied late and got the 2 goals but if CB had won't it by 7or8 nobody would have complained and that's not a good sign considering they played against 14 for the entire 2nd half.

Ballygowen

Any predictions for Sunday's games? Winners? First goal scores? Man of the matches?

Hopefully two good games. I'm going to go with Ballinakill by 4 & Borris Kilcotten by 2. B/K coming in as underdogs and I think they have a surprise for C/B.
Premier Intermediate, I just think Ballinakill have a bit too much for Ballyfinn, think they'll lead most of the game and win by 4.

First goal scores – Willie Dunphy & Cha
Man of Matches – PJ Scully & Cha

Silkyskillssunshinee

C/B are motoring very well for the last while and I don't see them being beaten Sunday. B/K will obviously be very fired up to avenge last year's result but I think C/B are the more balanced outfit overall. C/B by 3.

Ballinakill put in their best performance of the championship against Portlaoise the last day. The extra game against Clonaslee seems to have pushed them on a bit and I think they'll have plenty to spare over Ballyfin. Ballinakill by 6.