GAA Discussion > Laois

Laois Senior Football Championship 2020

<< < (2/33) > >>

Ballyroan Abbey:
Couple of our main players are missing for a combination of reasons, i've heard Rosenallis are in a simular situation which is a pity as i fancied them to go well enough, if it was a normal year you would imagine the 2 Arles's are getting precariously close to the drop

portlaoisekid:
Lots of word around about players missing but its such a strange time that nothing is unexpected.

At the end of the day lads have to make the correct call for themselves, if they sit it out for a few months they can play next year and stay safe in the mean time.

Countyminor:
Here's a list of 5 things that I would like to see happen this championship:

1. The relegation of one of Arles clubs - Just so I can sneer a good old-fashioned I told you so in their direction, to be honest. I have no time for their small-minded, parish loyalties trump what's good for our players and county mentality. Ideally both clubs would suffer the trapdoor fate but, as this unfortunately an impossibility, I'd still smugly settle to see one go (preferably Killeen). A very realistic possibility given both teams have a median age of about 47. This is nothing personal. Both clubs have great people involved and fantastic player commitment but they continue to hurt themselves and Laois so...

2. Stradbally struggle - This one speaks for itself. A club that fluked their way to a poor championship a few years ago and who seem quite content to just trot along as a run of the mill club, resting on former glories as being historically the second football club in the county after Portlaoise, while offering nothing other really than comic relief when they fall to a supposedly hurling club such as Ballyfin. Not entirely specific to Stradbally; could easily slap The Heath etc in there.

3. Rosenallis & Ballyfin go far - Hopefully neither club lose any of their key men. Two well run clubs thriving at both codes (a relative rarity in the country) and especially in Ballyfin's case, playing a nice brand of football. Take notes Stradbally, Mountmellick and co.

4. Portlaoise 2 - The debate of Portlaoise having a second club needs to be reignited as a necessity. The current club are cash-strapped as we all well know and, whether anyone actually wants to admit it, they tend to fish exclusively in certain parts of the town. A second club could be easily based on the Mountrath Road at the current Portlaoise College site, with the school used as a potential feeder, and serve a part of town that is not only neglected by Portlaoise, but by the county as a whole.

5. Credible challenge to Portlaoise - Only Port can realistically do this (although they might be a little preoccupied if you know what I am saying...) Nevertheless, Port have a good team and are well capable of challenging Portlaoise.

Anyways that's some of my thoughts, would be interested in hearing others.

SCFC:

--- Quote from: Countyminor on July 08, 2020, 07:29:11 PM ---
1. The relegation of one of Arles clubs - Just so I can sneer a good old-fashioned I told you so in their direction, to be honest. I have no time for their small-minded, parish loyalties trump what's good for our players and county mentality. Ideally both clubs would suffer the trapdoor fate but, as this unfortunately an impossibility, I'd still smugly settle to see one go (preferably Killeen).......

This is nothing personal.

--- End quote ---

It doesn't come across as "nothing personal"!!

Junior Ex Laoistalk:
Laois GAA set to stream games live as crowd restrictions force their hand

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2020/07/23/laois-gaa-set-to-stream-games-live-as-crowd-restrictions-force-their-hand/?fbclid=IwAR0auJRsELeuqdHFkt3bPSv2sIaiBc73hTizVn3w92cvHkqCZr-UlySE5AE

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version