Started by ross4life, October 19, 2010, 01:44:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: muppet on October 19, 2010, 03:17:58 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 19, 2010, 02:47:06 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 19, 2010, 01:26:51 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 19, 2010, 12:17:30 PM
Some kicks.

He missed a rake of scoreable frees for Mary's Cahirciveen in the Junior Final on Sunday though.

He did indeed. Were you down at it DH? They still had too much for Dromid. Declan needs a rest.

Was listening in on the wireless AZ. Poor enough fare according to anyone I've talked to since.

I wonder will the greatest player of his generation be tempted into making a comeback for a shot at the Munster title?

I'd say at 73 poor old Mick O'Connell is probably better off in the stand.

Mick O'Connell is a Valentia man. Why would he want to tog out for their rivals from the mainland?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 19, 2010, 02:10:53 PM
Does he contribute much from play though?

Much like the criticism our own Maurice Sheridan in his day
grand lad Maurice , but did more from playin copper face jacks than he ever did on the pitch.

I hate to see Sheehan playing for kerry when I side against them - as I think he is superb from placed ball and does score/create from play too.
He does seem to go to pieces after getting a bit of rough treatment though. Still a fine player imo.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 19, 2010, 03:32:43 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 19, 2010, 03:17:58 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 19, 2010, 02:47:06 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 19, 2010, 01:26:51 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 19, 2010, 12:17:30 PM
Some kicks.

He missed a rake of scoreable frees for Mary's Cahirciveen in the Junior Final on Sunday though.

He did indeed. Were you down at it DH? They still had too much for Dromid. Declan needs a rest.

Was listening in on the wireless AZ. Poor enough fare according to anyone I've talked to since.

I wonder will the greatest player of his generation be tempted into making a comeback for a shot at the Munster title?

I'd say at 73 poor old Mick O'Connell is probably better off in the stand.

Mick O'Connell is a Valentia man. Why would he want to tog out for their rivals from the mainland?

I was at a wedding down there on Saturday, and Maurice was at it. I was chatting him, but I don't think he's ready for a comeback, I think he was harshly treated there last year and he threw his hat at it.

Jinxy

I've often kicked frees from further out, against the wind and up a hill.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ross4life

Quote from: Jinxy on October 19, 2010, 05:57:40 PM

Yes but how wide were they?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: ross4life on October 19, 2010, 06:00:29 PM

How wide can a point be   ???
Hasta la victoria siempre

ross4life

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on October 19, 2010, 06:03:50 PM

Depends, are we talking International Rules again?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ONeill

Some effin height he gets on those.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 19, 2010, 02:10:53 PM
Does he contribute much from play though?

Much like the criticism our own Maurice Sheridan in his day
If he was lining out in a Mayo jersey would you care?  70 yards out, maybe more for the second one and the height he got with both was phenomenal
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on October 19, 2010, 06:03:50 PM

he said he kicked them, not that he scored them  ;)

Gold

Saw those kicks on that website last week --awesome height and length.

As someone else said though Vaughan's kicking is unreal too. I was in Parnell Park one night 2 years ago and he kicked a few from well outsie the 50 right on the sideline high over the bar --i dont like him from open play but i was left speechless --he did it not once, but twice without the aid of a wind on a still, dark evening.

Awesome skill to have.

The importance of a free taker cannot be overstated. It's the difference between winning and losing championship games as i'm sure we all know.

Men like Galvin, Vaughan and Oisin are like golddust
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

REDCOL

Dont be surprised to see Sheehan in goals for Kerry next year, he played underage goalie and it is a position they are struggling in.

ross4life

Quote from: Gold on October 19, 2010, 10:24:50 PM
Saw those kicks on that website last week --awesome height and length.

As someone else said though Vaughan's kicking is unreal too. I was in Parnell Park one night 2 years ago and he kicked a few from well outsie the 50 right on the sideline high over the bar --i dont like him from open play but i was left speechless --he did it not once, but twice without the aid of a wind on a still, dark evening.

Awesome skill to have.

The importance of a free taker cannot be overstated. It's the difference between winning and losing championship games as i'm sure we all know.

Men like Galvin, Vaughan and Oisin are like golddust

Yep i have been saying that for some time! O'Connor v Dublin, Goulding v Down & Shine v Sligo are prime example's this year

Zapatista

Great stuff. Really glad I seen that, thanks for posting it.

Sionnach

Quote from: REDCOL on October 19, 2010, 10:27:16 PM
Dont be surprised to see Sheehan in goals for Kerry next year, he played underage goalie and it is a position they are struggling in.

Diarmuid Murphy was certainly a loss this year, a problem exacerbated by the fact neither of the two second-choice 'keepers who might have been seen as candidates to replace him in recent years, Ger Reidy and Kieran Cremin, were available this year. However IMO the problems with Brendan Kealy as number 1 were exaggerated.

Due to the situation he is a young goalkeeper who was parachuted in for his first season. He is an excellent shot-stopper but certainly has work to do on high balls and distribution with both seeming shaky at times during the year. The latter two faults were exaggerated at times in my opinion though. For instance, people pointed to the goal scored by Goulding of Cork with the high ball - in fact Kealy secured the ball only to be dispossessed illegally by pulling the ball from his grasp. Again, an example which was given for distribution was Galvin of Limerick scoring after dispossessing Séamus Scanlon from a short kick-out. I would say this one was more Scanlon's fault than Kealy's.  The goalkeeping position is not the area of strength it was for Kerry, but their situation isn't as quite parlous as some have made out.