Division one 2021

Started by tonto1888, December 14, 2020, 07:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 13, 2021, 09:19:02 PM
Quote from: straightred on June 13, 2021, 08:57:44 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 13, 2021, 08:44:31 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 13, 2021, 08:11:01 PM
Pathetic stuff on two accounts, first of all Galway left so many easy scores behind them and then showed zero game management in the closing stages. Time and time again Galway waltzed in on the Monaghan goal, Tierney and Kelly had good goal opportunities in the first half as did Heaney who missed an open net in the 2nd half along with Finnerty hand passing ac0rss the goal to nobody. All Galway's scores were relatively routine whilst Monaghan mainly McCarron kicked some brilliant difficult scores. Finnerty missed a chance in both halves from about 25 metres out in front of the posts as did Walsh who must have dropped 4 or 5 shots into Beggan's hands and had his worst game in a long time.

As for the game management, the goal is a farce; The defender in question isn't good enough and we all know that, the way he got caught in possession in his own half in extra time another example of why he's not upto it. Time and time again Beggan managed to get his kick away despite Galway having a man extra for about 20 minutes of that second half. I can barely remember Galway making any sort of tactical foul to slow Monaghan up, happy to allow them waltz up the pitch for 80 metre without a hand laid on them. Tierney played well and caused Monaghan a lot of problems and Sweeney certainly made an impact and Paul Kelly seems to have that knack of been in the right place at the right time for a goal opportunity.
Tierney was good today and showed what he has in the locker, a shame his shot from 45 didn't go in. Even his low shot that Beggan saved in the first half was the correct thing to do he didn't just throw a leg at it, outstanding save down low from a top keeper.

In truth we've been in freefall since the resumption of matches last October, only 1 win in 7 matches tells the tale. I'm scratching my head at the sideline every game at this stage but even at that, a lot of players just didn't play well either. Galway don't have the squad to be without Comer and John Daly but there was enough out there to get a result today, no idea how Shane Walsh was shortlisted for MOTM by Burns, one of his worst games in a long time.
It would have been a brilliant opportunist goal but Gough is probably delighted he missed. I thought he blew for a monaghan mark and then let the galway player wrestle the ball from him. Even if it was a free for galway then it was taken at least 10 yards from were it should have been. My Irish isn't good enough to know what the commentators thought.

I'm under the impression the referee blows the whistle anytime the mark is available and its up to the player to claim it by putting his hand up which he didn't do in this case.
That's certainly the case in club games that I've been involved in anyway.

straightred

Quote from: Main Street on June 13, 2021, 09:23:35 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 13, 2021, 09:19:02 PM
Quote from: straightred on June 13, 2021, 08:57:44 PM
Pathetic stuff on two accounts, first of all Galway left so many easy scores behind them and then showed zero game management in the closing stages. Time and time again Galway waltzed in on the Monaghan goal, Tierney and Kelly had good goal opportunities in the first half as did Heaney who missed an open net in the 2nd half along with Finnerty hand passing ac0rss the goal to nobody. All Galway's scores were relatively routine whilst Monaghan mainly McCarron kicked some brilliant difficult scores. Finnerty missed a chance in both halves from about 25 metres out in front of the posts as did Walsh who must have dropped 4 or 5 shots into Beggan's hands and had his worst game in a long time.

As for the game management, the goal is a farce; The defender in question isn't good enough and we all know that, the way he got caught in possession in his own half in extra time another example of why he's not upto it. Time and time again Beggan managed to get his kick away despite Galway having a man extra for about 20 minutes of that second half. I can barely remember Galway making any sort of tactical foul to slow Monaghan up, happy to allow them waltz up the pitch for 80 metre without a hand laid on them. Tierney played well and caused Monaghan a lot of problems and Sweeney certainly made an impact and Paul Kelly seems to have that knack of been in the right place at the right time for a goal opportunity.
Tierney was good today and showed what he has in the locker, a shame his shot from 45 didn't go in. Even his low shot that Beggan saved in the first half was the correct thing to do he didn't just throw a leg at it, outstanding save down low from a top keeper.

In truth we've been in freefall since the resumption of matches last October, only 1 win in 7 matches tells the tale. I'm scratching my head at the sideline every game at this stage but even at that, a lot of players just didn't play well either. Galway don't have the squad to be without Comer and John Daly but there was enough out there to get a result today, no idea how Shane Walsh was shortlisted for MOTM by Burns, one of his worst games in a long time.
It would have been a brilliant opportunist goal but Gough is probably delighted he missed. I thought he blew for a monaghan mark and then let the galway player wrestle the ball from him. Even if it was a free for galway then it was taken at least 10 yards from were it should have been. My Irish isn't good enough to know what the commentators thought.

I'm under the impression the referee blows the whistle anytime the mark is available and its up to the player to claim it by putting his hand up which he didn't do in this case.
That's exactly what happened. The Galway player was tuned in.
OK . that makes sense

macker15

Quote from: seafoid on June 13, 2021, 08:49:30 PM
It's a pity that Monaghan team didn't get to an all Ireland final and win it. They might have in another time with Dublin treated like any other county.

Monaghan could never beat Tyrone on Croke Park let alone Dublin, mayo or kerry

Maroon Manc

Collectively Galway did more than enough to win that match but looking at individual performances there's not too many who stood out, Molloy was the only one of the halfbacks to make any impression going forward; Seen a lot of Silke since his debut in 2015 and he's not stood out at this level whilst McHugh seems a nice player but if we're serious about challenging then he shouldn't be in the team. Sean Kelly as usual caused the opposition problems with his running and time and time again but haven't seen anything from Mulkerrins to suggest he's comfortable at this level, I think he's protected by the defensive system. He was an outstanding minor but looks far too one paced for me and doesn't offer when in possession.

Lets see what the championship brings although I've very little optimism.

galwayman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 13, 2021, 10:07:39 PM

Collectively Galway did more than enough to win that match but looking at individual performances there's not too many who stood out, Molloy was the only one of the halfbacks to make any impression going forward; Seen a lot of Silke since his debut in 2015 and he's not stood out at this level whilst McHugh seems a nice player but if we're serious about challenging then he shouldn't be in the team. Sean Kelly as usual caused the opposition problems with his running and time and time again but haven't seen anything from Mulkerrins to suggest he's comfortable at this level, I think he's protected by the defensive system. He was an outstanding minor but looks far too one paced for me and doesn't offer when in possession.

Can't disagree with any of that. Mulkerrins isn't a great man marking defender and offers little going forward. If our first sub in the half backs is Johnny Duane that's not a good sign.
Cathal Sweeney on the other hand is a very promising player.

SouthDublinBro

It's a pity that Monaghan team didn't get to an all Ireland final and win it. They might have in another time with Dublin treated like any other county.

::) Monaghan of the past 10 years were just a side set up to win Ulster. Not equipped to deal with anything beyond that stage.

An Fhairche Abu

Same boat here, have to support whatever happens but really not seeing where some massive transformation will come from at the minute, the results don't lie.
PJ didn't speak to the media afterwards either, a really, really poor look, I know this is a backbreaking loss but have to front up and own it, you're the man in charge.

JoG2

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on June 13, 2021, 10:55:17 PM

::) Monaghan of the past 10 years were just a side set up to win Ulster. Not equipped to deal with anything beyond that stage.

Are you StPatsAbu in disguise? Maybe Monaghan are short a few hectares in land mass as 60k population won't cut the mustard

Tubberman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 13, 2021, 11:07:42 PM

Same boat here, have to support whatever happens but really not seeing where some massive transformation will come from at the minute, the results don't lie.
PJ didn't speak to the media afterwards either, a really, really poor look, I know this is a backbreaking loss but have to front up and own it, you're the man in charge.

He looked absolutely crushed at final whistle which is understandable,  but as you said, he's the manager and it's his job to come out and represent his team and defend them.
Having said that, i think ye might be a bit hard on him/the team.  They should have won that match, and i still think they may well win Connacht. They lost their nerve in final minutes of last year's connacht final and again today which must be a worry but they did a lot right up to then.
They wouldnt have a hope against Dublin in a semi final but sure there's very few, if any, that would.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on June 13, 2021, 06:47:38 PM
The split into 2×4 was arseways. Galway aren't the second worst team in D1. Neither are Monaghan.

It was the same in the hurling. The standard in Galway's pool was far higher than in the other one.

If the footballers are any good they will be ar ais arís next year.
Who is worse than them? Because Armagh beat Monaghan in the league and beat them well in our last championship meeting and would probably be favourites vs Galway. Agree thought the split league is a disgrace.

Solo_run

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 14, 2021, 01:19:12 AM
The split into 2×4 was arseways. Galway aren't the second worst team in D1. Neither are Monaghan.

It was the same in the hurling. The standard in Galway's pool was far higher than in the other one.

Who is worse than them? Because Armagh beat Monaghan in the league and beat them well in our last championship meeting and would probably be favourites vs Galway. Agree thought the split league is a disgrace.

Weirdly enough Armagh are the only team to have beat Monaghan this year

balladmaker

Most improved team over last 12 months is Armagh ... well worth Div 1 retention.

APM

Quote from: Solo_run on June 14, 2021, 01:23:14 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 14, 2021, 01:19:12 AM

Weirdly enough Armagh are the only team to have beat Monaghan this year

Agree with that.  Roscommon definitely deserved to go down on the basis of having lost every game.
If Galway aren't the second worst team in Division 1, and it's not Monaghan, who is?

Galway should have no excuses.  Should have beaten Monaghan yesterday in normal time.   

An Fhairche Abu

Galway went down and on the results we deserved to go down, there's absolutely no basis for saying we weren't the 2nd worst team in Division one this year, it just doesn't stack up looking at the performances and results. The last thing we need is more wishful thinking because we are seeing way too much of that from the sideline at the minute, you can't magic your way to success.
Pointless blaming the structures (although they were mental) as an excuse, fact is we are a Division Two team again.

Only thing that Galway needed to do in this strange league setup was to avoid relegation, that did not happen.

blanketattack

I don't agree with the decision to have joint winners - it should be like the Ryder Cup, if it's a draw the current holders should retain it.