Hamas attack Israel & subsequent genocide

Started by bennydorano, October 07, 2023, 09:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser soze

Quote from: armaghniac on December 14, 2023, 03:38:36 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on December 14, 2023, 09:24:01 AMIts the definition of genocide ffs.

It is not. Isreal has the arms to kill everyone in Gaza if they wanted to.
The analogy I used before was, this is analogous to the invasion of Poland, when many Poles were killed, but is not analogous to the holocaust, which actually was genocide. 

That's rubbish mate.

Israel is carpet bombing a densely packed city and refugee camps. It is analogous to the Warsaw ghetto except that even the Nazis didn't try to complete level that from the air with 2 ton bombs or go in with tanks or bomb schools and hospitals.

They are assassinating doctors, intellectuals and journalists. They have murdered many multiples of babies to combatants.

And if you don't believe me a quick google search will show you multiple members of the Israeli cabinet and army telling you that that's exactly what they are doing.

Snapchap

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 14, 2023, 09:24:01 AMIts the definition of genocide ffs.

The analogy I used before was, this is analogous to the invasion of Poland, when many Poles were killed, but is not analogous to the holocaust, which actually was genocide. 

As they saying goes, when someone shows you who they are, believe them. When Giora Eiland, the head of Israel's National Security Council openly says that their plan is to make sure that "Gaza will become a place where no human beings can exist" then you are clutching at straws to say they are not committing genocide for a start. 

But then consider that he also stated Israel's hope that "Severe epidemics in the south of the Gaza strip will bring victory closer and reduce casualties among IDF soldiers" - which already sounds bad enough until you stand back and realise that this is PRECISELY the plan Israel seems to be implenting before the world's eyes. It has insisted the entire civilian population of Gaza, the majority of whom are children (with already weakened immune systems), cram themselves into an area smaller than Heathrow airport and forces them to co-exist in that overpopulated space with no clean water and no access to healthcare facilities as 80% of Gaza's hospitals are no longer functioning.

So I'd suggest dropping the weasel words. This is attempted genocide.

Itchy

You should run for election in the US, you'd be a shoe in. Intentional targeting of civilians, hospitals, schools, places of worship. Cutting off fuel, water, food supplies. IS GENOCIDE.

seafoid

Trauma means Israel and Russia don't have history. They have myths.  They are paranoid, led by sociopaths and so easy to manipulate. Israel is now an out of control liability.  I remember the Judge Goldstone controversy a decade ago. Prominent Zionists like Dershowitz said the Jewish family could deal with the fallout. Zionism now is a cancer at the heart of Judaism. Someone has to stop them.

armaghniac

Quote from: Itchy on December 14, 2023, 04:26:45 PM

You should run for election in the US, you'd be a shoe in. Intentional targeting of civilians, hospitals, schools, places of worship. Cutting off fuel, water, food supplies. IS GENOCIDE.

The US electorate seems quite stupid, I can't see them voting for me. Genocide is a particular thing, the conduct of military operations regardless of civilians may well be a crime, but still not genocide.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on December 14, 2023, 05:41:18 PM

The US electorate seems quite stupid, I can't see them voting for me. Genocide is a particular thing, the conduct of military operations regardless of civilians may well be a crime, but still not genocide.
It is not a war. It is a turkey shoot. It is not proportionate. It is driven by biblical vengeance outside the laws of war. Of course it is genocide.

JoG2

Quote from: seafoid on December 14, 2023, 06:06:07 PM

It is not a war. It is a turkey shoot. It is not proportionate. It is driven by biblical vengeance outside the laws of war. Of course it is genocide.

Opposium totalis... Internet is full of them

Itchy

I don't want to get into a ridiculous debate but this is the United nations definition...

In 1948, the United Nations Genocide Convention defined genocide as any of five "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group". These five acts were: killing members of the group, causing them serious bodily or mental harm, imposing living conditions intended to destroy the group, preventing births, and forcibly transferring children out of the group. Victims are targeted because of their real or perceived membership of a group, not randomly.

Now I'm sorry again but you are either on the wind up or just looking to argue about this for the sake of it.

armaghniac

Quote from: Itchy on December 14, 2023, 07:53:04 PM

I don't want to get into a ridiculous debate but this is the United nations definition...

In 1948, the United Nations Genocide Convention defined genocide as any of five "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group". These five acts were: killing members of the group, causing them serious bodily or mental harm, imposing living conditions intended to destroy the group, preventing births, and forcibly transferring children out of the group. Victims are targeted because of their real or perceived membership of a group, not randomly.

I am not on the wind up or arguing for the sake of it. Ukraine is actively trying to kill a certain group of Russians, notably those occupying its territory, but I do not think this is genocide. Nor do I think that the Allied invasion of Germany was genocide, although killed members of the group and imposed poor living conditions on others.

Wildweasel74

Got to remember those who make this definition. Carpet bombed Dresden,  :( with incendiary bombs creating a fire storm in WW2.

LeoMc

They don't need to kill everyone in Gaza to make it genocide. Destroying the infrastructure and driving the population out makes in genocide.

theskull1

Armaghniac has been provided and appears have ignored 2 post defining 1944 and 1948 definitions of what is considered genocide... but he thinks it isn't so everyone should just go with his opinion  :o
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

PadraicHenryPearse

from the river to the see Palestine will be free is apparently a call for genocide.

intifada is  call for genocide

calling amd marching for a ceasefire is a call for genocide

actual calls for genocide by Israeli government and acts of genocide aren't genocide!!

armaghniac

Quote from: theskull1 on December 14, 2023, 11:05:24 PMArmaghniac has been provided and appears have ignored 2 post defining 1944 and 1948 definitions of what is considered genocide... but he thinks it isn't so everyone should just go with his opinion  :o

I am more persuaded by LeoMc's post, as there is a clear intention to damage a large proportion of infrastructure.

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on December 14, 2023, 11:54:25 PMfrom the river to the see Palestine will be free is apparently a call for genocide.

The river to the see proposal seems to involve removing Israelis, so that meets the definition of a call for genocide, but not the act.

Intifada is a an "act committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group", so is a genocide by your definition. I would argue that it is not. 

Calling for a ceasefire is clearly not genocide, and no reasonable person claims it is.

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: armaghniac on December 15, 2023, 12:04:25 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on December 14, 2023, 11:05:24 PMArmaghniac has been provided and appears have ignored 2 post defining 1944 and 1948 definitions of what is considered genocide... but he thinks it isn't so everyone should just go with his opinion  :o

I am more persuaded by LeoMc's post, as there is a clear intention to damage a large proportion of infrastructure.

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on December 14, 2023, 11:54:25 PMfrom the river to the see Palestine will be free is apparently a call for genocide.

The river to the see proposal seems to involve removing Israelis, so that meets the definition of a call for genocide, but not the act.

Intifada is a an "act committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group", so is a genocide by your definition. I would argue that it is not. 

Calling for a ceasefire is clearly not genocide, and no reasonable person claims it is.

nowhere in the river to the sea chant is a call for the genocide of Israeli, nowhere. calling for something to be free does not mean something else has to die.

that's not my definition of genocide and not the meaning of intifada, intifada means uprising, resistence and civil disobedience.