Ulster Championship 2021

Started by J70, June 21, 2021, 12:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

It happens in every club.

When the county sees a bit of success then the membership numbers increase.

If you havent time to be an active member of your club then you should be way down the pecking order for a ticket

Franko

Quote from: Taylor on July 27, 2021, 08:46:19 AM

If you haven't time to be an active member of your club then you should be way down the pecking order for a ticket

Does indeed.

In fairness, in my own club, it couldn't be done fairer.  Every member who wants a ticket turns up and puts their name into a hat.  Active or not.

They are drawn out and that's it.

The Bleating Bennys of this world who just can't find the time to take anything to do with the running of the club ALWAYS manage to crawl out from under their rocks on this night.

Taylor

Quote from: Franko on July 27, 2021, 08:55:15 AM

If you haven't time to be an active member of your club then you should be way down the pecking order for a ticket

Does indeed.

In fairness, in my own club, it couldn't be done fairer.  Every member who wants a ticket turns up and puts their name into a hat.  Active or not.

The Bleating Bennys of this world who just can't find the time to take anything to do with the running of the club ALWAYS manage to crawl out from under their rocks on this night.

I wouldnt call that fair Franko.

So the person who doesnt darken the door of the club but just pays membership to get a ticket for a county game has the same chance as the volunteer who is at the club 5/6 nights a week?

Managers/coaches/volunteers/lotto sellers etc should all get priority.

NoN active members should only get tickets if there are any left over IMHO

Milltown Row2

Does indeed.

It is the fairest way of doing it without stepping on toes as they are all members and without their paid up membership we'd struggle. Of course we all know of that person or 6 that are flat out doing stuff at the club or for the club but you have to have it just so.

Years ago we had a Sec that would have travelled the length of the country to get the club as many tickets as possible, 9 times out of 10 he'd have collected the required amount of tickets, they were handed out on a Thursday night before the All Ireland weekend, you'd have turned up not knowing for starters whether you were getting one! The tension was through the roof! When the envelope was handed over the table it was ripped open to see where your seats were!  Brilliant days.

The live draw we have now on the clubs facebook page is the best way and no complaints, no doubt the sponsors get theirs, that's fine.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

I'd agree Taylor.

If an executive committee of a club doesn't tilt the balance of ticket distribution in favour of active volunteers, then they aren't acting in a club's best interests.

An inactive club member throwing the toys out of the pram is no big deal.

trailer

Quote from: BennyCake on July 23, 2021, 06:01:02 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 23, 2021, 11:38:48 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 22, 2021, 06:13:20 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 22, 2021, 05:37:32 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 22, 2021, 01:54:43 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 22, 2021, 01:05:15 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 21, 2021, 10:35:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 21, 2021, 10:16:53 PM
Should tickets not go through the clubs? Club members should get the jump on tickets before the bandwagon support

Many club members don't go near a game all year until there's a final.

There's also plenty of balloons running up and down the country 'supporting' their county, who wouldn't lift a finger to help their local club.

You know the type - young fella always has the most up to date strip, been at every McKenna Cup match since the big snow of 47 but the only players he could name on the club team are the 2 boys playing for the county.

I know who I'd rather give a ticket to.

What about the club members who never go to a county game? Have they any more right to a county ticket than a predominantly county supporter?

I know of lots of people who don't really have much association with their local club, for a number of reasons. A lot of clubs are clannish, two or three families running the show, looking after themselves. It's hard to feel involved if you weren't a top player or don't come from a local footballing dynasty. Or maybe your kids don't play, so you're less likely to stay involved.

Firstly, I'd always prioritise the members of the association over the non-members.

Lets face it - a county match is a nice day out, but it's not exactly work and it does little to help the association other than the price of the ticket (which in our example is a moot point - as the tickets will be sold anyway).

Someone who coaches the kids teams, washes the jerseys, turns up at club fundraisers, takes a job on the committee etc is IMO far more crucial to the GAA than some Nigel who only follows the county team

And should be treated as such when tickets are being allocated - no matter how many times said Nigel has seen the county team play this year

So there should be a pecking order when it comes to AI tickets?

One club member who helps out with the u-10's is more entitled to a ticket than one who cuts the grass? Surely contributing to the club via membership or lotto is important too, even if they don't participate in club activities as such. Not everyone has the time, knowledge or experience  to coach or sit as secretary/treasurer etc.

Also, you do have the time.  You have exactly the same amount of time available as everyone else.

You choose not to allot that time to actively participating in the GAA.

So the GAA chooses not to allot you a ticket for big games.

Couldn't be fairer.

How could you make a case for the opposite?

It's not the GAA who allocates tickets though. It's through the clubs. And once it goes to clubs, it's anything goes. We all know that. If you're the secretary's nephew, treasurer's mistress, you'll get a ticket. You can make an argument that those who coach, wash jerseies etc are more entitled to tickets, but there's nothing in the GAA constitution/rules stating any of that.

So, you might have a person who is a club member but live in the next town, works abnormal hours or has caring responsibilities etc, and he's no hope of getting a ticket? Well, what is that person going to do in that case? Maybe they'll take their £25 annual fee and keep it in their pocket. Or when the lads come round asking for lotto or selling tickets for the big club draw/dinner, they'll be told to get stuffed?

You're that whinging **** that every club has. Points out all the flaws but ask him to brush the changing rooms or volunteer and you'd run a mile. GAA would be far better off without your sorts.

Franko

Quote from: Taylor on July 27, 2021, 09:25:27 AM

Does indeed.

I wouldnt call that fair Franko.

So the person who doesnt darken the door of the club but just pays membership to get a ticket for a county game has the same chance as the volunteer who is at the club 5/6 nights a week?

Managers/coaches/volunteers/lotto sellers etc should all get priority.

NoN active members should only get tickets if there are any left over IMHO

Fair is probably the wrong word.

But it's the only way to do it without someone making the subjective decision as to who is more active than the other.

Most of our membership are OK with it as this is the way it has been and they've gotten on board with it.

Most of the Bennys of this world are too ashamed to turn up, but there are always the same few who'll make their way to the club and brazenly throw their name in the hat.

Despite never having darkened the door of the place since the last ticket draw.  (apart from possibly dropping the kids off for some free childcare)

We do reserve a couple of our allocation for our principal sponsor though.

trailer

Tickets out this am. Glad I am a paid up member of my club.

Taylor

Quote from: trailer on July 27, 2021, 09:51:00 AM
Tickets out this am. Glad I am a paid up member of my club.

Paid up ACTIVE member trailer

BennyCake

Quote from: Franko on July 27, 2021, 08:41:30 AM
Should tickets not go through the clubs? Club members should get the jump on tickets before the bandwagon support

There's also plenty of balloons running up and down the country 'supporting' their county, who wouldn't lift a finger to help their local club.

You know the type - young fella always has the most up to date strip, been at every McKenna Cup match since the big snow of 47 but the only players he could name on the club team are the 2 boys playing for the county.

What about the club members who never go to a county game? Have they any more right to a county ticket than a predominantly county supporter?

I know of lots of people who don't really have much association with their local club, for a number of reasons. A lot of clubs are clannish, two or three families running the show, looking after themselves. It's hard to feel involved if you weren't a top player or don't come from a local footballing dynasty. Or maybe your kids don't play, so you're less likely to stay involved.

Firstly, I'd always prioritise the members of the association over the non-members.

Lets face it - a county match is a nice day out, but it's not exactly work and it does little to help the association other than the price of the ticket (which in our example is a moot point - as the tickets will be sold anyway).

Someone who coaches the kids teams, washes the jerseys, turns up at club fundraisers, takes a job on the committee etc is IMO far more crucial to the GAA than some Nigel who only follows the county team

And should be treated as such when tickets are being allocated - no matter how many times said Nigel has seen the county team play this year

One club member who helps out with the u-10's is more entitled to a ticket than one who cuts the grass? Surely contributing to the club via membership or lotto is important too, even if they don't participate in club activities as such. Not everyone has the time, knowledge or experience  to coach or sit as secretary/treasurer etc.

Also, you do have the time.  You have exactly the same amount of time available as everyone else.

Couldn't be fairer.

It's not the GAA who allocates tickets though. It's through the clubs. And once it goes to clubs, it's anything goes. We all know that. If you're the secretary's nephew, treasurer's mistress, you'll get a ticket. You can make an argument that those who coach, wash jerseies etc are more entitled to tickets, but there's nothing in the GAA constitution/rules stating any of that.

So, you might have a person who is a club member but live in the next town, works abnormal hours or has caring responsibilities etc, and he's no hope of getting a ticket? Well, what is that person going to do in that case? Maybe they'll take their £25 annual fee and keep it in their pocket. Or when the lads come round asking for lotto or selling tickets for the big club draw/dinner, they'll be told to get stuffed?

The GAA IS the clubs.  This is a pet hate of mine - everyone thinks 'the GAA' is a bunch of suits in Dublin.  The GAA is all of us (well, those of us who are not too tight to dip into our pockets for the measly membership fee).

There's nothing anywhere in the constitution about tickets.  Irrelevant comment.

Club members should always have a better chance of getting a ticket than non-members.

As for said person in your little example (shall we call him Bleating Benny?)

It's unfortunate for him that all the pressures of these caring responsibilities and abnormal work hours just happen to disappear on the day there's a big county game on?  Into the car, off to Dublin, not a problem.

But there's just NO WAY he'd have the time to do the gate at a club league game.

Poor Benny can't catch a break.

My local club has a lot of members scattered throughout the place. Next town/village and further. Lack of housing/employment can dictate where a lot of your members/players reside. Some  are paid up members to support the club, attend games/functions when they can, subscribe to lotto etc. The previous post is not my situation but a mixture of many I know, and don't belittle those who are in difficult  family/work/financial situations. We all would like to do our bit but it's not always possible.

Anyway, One of my points was where do you draw the line re: tickets? Does the man who lines the pitch get priority over the man who sweeps out the changing rooms? I've seen good club people shafted or humiliated when it comes to tickets. Members who put in years of service to lose out on a ticket when it's obvious the neighbour/nephew/drinking buddy etc of the treasurer/secretary have all been sorted with them. Is that fair?

I'm not disagreeing that active members get priority, but it doesn't always work out that way. And because of the nature of how clubs are run, there'll always be many who are unfairly treated.

BennyCake

Quote from: Franko on July 27, 2021, 08:32:22 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 23, 2021, 05:47:48 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 23, 2021, 11:34:58 AM

Yes, there absolutely should.

Active GAA Members and Key Sponsors
\/
Non-Active GAA Members
\/
Nigels

What about the mate/brother/sister/child of the club treasurer/secretary? Where do they come in?

They should fit exactly into the same hierarchy.

And where is that?

Milltown Row2

This is daft, any club that's not doing an open draw is not doing in fairly, its very simple, put the names into a hat and if members don't put their names in then they are not involved. Tickets should be allocated fairly, and if not as a member you bring that up at the next agm, there is no reason why the body of the members wouldn't agree with it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: trailer on July 27, 2021, 09:48:33 AM

Couldn't be fairer.

You're that whinging **** that every club has. Points out all the flaws but ask him to brush the changing rooms or volunteer and you'd run a mile. GAA would be far better off without your sorts.

;D Did I say that was my situation?

But, as MR2 said:

It is the fairest way of doing it without stepping on toes as they are all members and without their paid up membership we'd struggle.

trailer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 27, 2021, 11:34:03 AM
This is daft, any club that's not doing an open draw is not doing in fairly, its very simple, put the names into a hat and if members don't put their names in then they are not involved. Tickets should be allocated fairly, and if not as a member you bring that up at the next agm, there is no reason why the body of the members wouldn't agree with it

There are not to many games that you even need to do that for. Maybe an AIF, maybe. Certainly it would only exist in Dublin. Most other counties would have piles of tickets for games including AIF. I never had a bother getting tickets for the AIF and had spares for those not paid up members.

trueblue1234

You tend to find many clubs do an open draw, and by and large most people get sorted. If an active member didn't get tickets through the draw, the club generally makes an effort to source one for them via other routes. If they're not an active member then they're usually on their own. Seems to work well in our club. It's rare an active member hasn't been looked after. But the draw is done fairly with any paid up members.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit