DICK v WOOLY

Started by trailer, July 24, 2018, 09:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

I see Parkinson and Clerkin are having a go at each other on social meeja. Wooly called his recent article a bag of shite essentially.
"So after mistakenly reading Dick Clerkin's piece I now know his son's name is Cailean, who is now going to games, he sat at the game with his father Hugo and met his mother Mary after the game.
Christ almighty"

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/i-met-conor-mcmanus-mother-afterwards-and-all-i-could-do-was-give-her-a-hug-with-tears-almost-in-my-eyes-37143735.html

Clerkin
"So I believe Colm Parkinson read my column today.. that's nice. He must hate that its his job to read and listen to me every week, whereas I thankfully never have to read or listen to him, for any reason....ever!! (🎤dropped)"

Parkinson
"Hi Dick,
I know you don't listen but I'm just enquiring if you could contribute to a new Monday slot on the podcast called 'my family day at the game' ....I think there would be huge national interest.
We'll mention Sky for you too"

Under Lights

Fair play to both men making good €€€€€€€ out of medicore playing careers. I enjoy Wooly's podcast. All this sort of stuff, controversy and wumming is just part of the media game. See talkSPORT for the blueprint to that.

SpeculativeEffort

This controversy just needs a hashtag...
Lets get #woolydick trending 😂

Itchy

I have to say I think Clerkin is a wind bag, and "Wooly" isnt far behind him.

The Subbie

Wolly survives on the click bait - he works for Joe.ie whose entire purpose is 'content ' creation , I do like his podcast but Joe.ie is lowest common denominator stuff really
Dick is firmly angling for an establishment role either in Gaa circles , media circles or if you believe some rumours flying round once upon a time a tilt at Leinster house as a FF candidate- this to me speaks volumes about Dick.
Dick throws out his musings on Twitter and rarely if ever engages with any normal people apart from the sad sacks that agree with him but if a media type reply's Dick will engage at length, very transparent by Dicky
Wolly does engage with people and does act a bit of a p***k at times but at least he engages with all comers
I think secretly Dick might just envy Colm's blue verified tick !!

Esmarelda

The most important outcome is that they got a thread started about them.

weareros

Quote from: Under Lights on July 24, 2018, 09:41:59 AM
Fair play to both men making good €€€€€€€ out of medicore playing careers. I enjoy Wooly's podcast. All this sort of stuff, controversy and wumming is just part of the media game. See talkSPORT for the blueprint to that.

Or Trump when running for President. He had two or three fights going on at any one time, including The Pope. It was a masterclass in free marketing as every outlet, social and trad media, gave it Oxygen.

screenexile

I don't get the fascination with Wooly at all. . . a lad who was a fairly decent footballer but who fucked about too much so never really made it.

He was giving out about some lad he'd never heard of from Derry taking his spot on ateam out in America. . . yeah Crossan played in an All Ireland Semi Final he's not exactly a nobody!! He has this opinion that he was somehow a great player only for this and only for falling out with the manager etc.

His comment about the Oaks interfering with coverage of the super 8s was stupidity and rightly called as such!!

Dick Clerkin is a tube as well!

JoG2

Quote from: screenexile on July 24, 2018, 12:08:30 PM
I don't get the fascination with Wooly at all. . . a lad who was a fairly decent footballer but who fucked about too much so never really made it.

He was giving out about some lad he'd never heard of from Derry taking his spot on ateam out in America. . . yeah Crossan played in an All Ireland Semi Final he's not exactly a nobody!! He has this opinion that he was somehow a great player only for this and only for falling out with the manager etc.

His comment about the Oaks interfering with coverage of the super 8s was stupidity and rightly called as such!!

Wonder was that the year Crossan won North American footballer of the year??

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: screenexile on July 24, 2018, 12:08:30 PM

Parkinson has a tendency to sneer and look down his nose at others which is very offputting. Take a quick look through his twitter replies to people questioning his proposed 'tweaks' to the playing rules and his reponses are all a variation on WTF would you know. Then he also sneers at pundits like McGuiness or other pundits and journalists that he claims try to overanalyse the game or 'use too many big words'

Dinny Breen

Parkinson is Sunday World,  Dick is Ireland's Own.
#newbridgeornowhere

Maiden1

Parkinson's twitter page has a pinned tweet on top.

This is a good talk about online shaming. It looks like if you're on the side of the mob you can tweet any abuse you like and you get a free pass. Twitter has become a nasty toxic place, make a mistake and you're destroyed. https://ted.com/talks/jon_ronson_what_happens_when_online_shaming_spirals_out_of_control?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=tedspread ... via @TEDTalks

https://twitter.com/Woolberto

On 1 hand he has a pinned link about online shaming and toxic tweets and with the other he throws Clerkin under a bus with a toxic tweet.

There are no proofs, only opinions.

Jinxy

We need less Woolies & Dicks, and more Wards and Moyleses.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thejuice

We need John Cullinane.

To be fair I like Colms podcast and I think Cian Ward is great on it especially. Never heard anything Dick does so can't comment but to be honest I don't care enough to pick a side in this particular squabble in a cyber-teacup
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

yellowcard

Wooly can be entertaining but he is tabloid attention seeking. He is a bit of a free spirit and can be good craic at times but I wouldn't be taking him too serious.

Dick is not entertaining and takes himself a bit too serious. I don't really know how he has managed to get as much media work but he csertainly knows how to play the establishment.