Masters Competition Cancelled

Started by Keyser soze, August 22, 2010, 11:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser soze

There are generally about 15 county teams which take part in this competition. It is for players of 40+ years who don't necessarily need to have beeen former county players, though there are many former well known players taking part, including all-ireland winning captains and all-stars. The purpose of the Masters is to provide players with a platform to play games in an environment with their peers [so we won't be doing some old-school tricks on the cubs  ;)] in a competitive environment.

The Masters for me represents everything that is good about the GAA, people going out in a spirit of comradeship to play a game they love, training and working hard to get a wee bit better every week, meeting old friends or people you only met on the pitch in the past and becoming good mates with them, telling yarns about each other and players you played with and against, getting to play in a good competitive match with people of your own vintage, going for a beer with friend and foe afterwards and having a great evening's craic. I can truthfully, and i know i speak for many of my fellow players, say that this has been as enjoyable a GAA  experience as I've had in my long involvement in the sport.

We have just been informed by Croke Park that this competition, which has been running very successfully for a number of years, will not be taking place this year as they are not prepared to sanction it. There does not appear to be a definitive answer as to why CP are refusing to sanction this competition but some of the theories [in the absence of any official correspondence on the matter from CP] are that the paid officials in CP are too lazy to administer this competition, that they don't want to provide insurance for this [a sum of a less than e5000], or that it in some way contravenes GAA policy or ethos. Over the past 2 years this competition has been treated disgracefully. Last year it had been half completed before CP pulled the plug. It was then reinstated at the end of the summer and didn't finish until November. This year we had been training since start of June only to be informed last week, after a protracted series of meetings which went on for 3 months, that the competition would definitely not take place. I'm sure there were many other teams in a similar position.

Perhaps somebody could provide a clear explanation as to why this competition has been jettisoned, it provided enjoyment for many gaels in the [whatever comes after] twilight of their careers who just enjoyed playing gaelic football.

magpie seanie

That's disgraceful but nothing surprises me with those pricks in Croke Park. Really annoys the f**k out of me when I hear the likes of Cooney and Duffy paying lip service to "the grass roots" - they simply do not give a f**k about anything that doesn't further their own selfish ends.

Hardy

Why not go ahead and play it anyway? Make a weekend out of it like the Kilmacud sevens. I'm sure some club would be happy to host it.

passedit

Quote from: Hardy on August 22, 2010, 07:05:13 PM
Why not go ahead and play it anyway? Make a weekend out of it like the Kilmacud sevens. I'm sure some club would be happy to host it.

Can't do that without official sanction Hardy. I hear there's a meeting this week to look at playing it outside the auspices of the GAA, using council pitches. A non starter for the Northern teams I'd say.
Don't Panic

Hardy

Quote from: passedit on August 22, 2010, 07:09:05 PM

Can't do that without official sanction Hardy. I hear there's a meeting this week to look at playing it outside the auspices of the GAA, using council pitches. A non starter for the Northern teams I'd say.

That's what I meant, passedit - have an unofficial championship. Collect a few bob for a trophy, etc. I don't imagine the fact it's an official competition is the essence of it for those participating. Why let HQ deprive them of the sport? I know there might be insurance issues, etc. but feck that.

haze

Quote from: Keyser soze on August 22, 2010, 11:02:15 AM

Perhaps somebody could provide a clear explanation as to why this competition has been jettisoned, it provided enjoyment for many gaels in the [whatever comes after] twilight of their careers who just enjoyed playing gaelic football.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/masters-anger-as-gaa-tells-golden-oldies-to-call-it-a-day-2260929.html

I read about this about 4 weeks ago in the Indo. Apparently the competition is being taken "too seriously" by competing teams... you couldnt make that up

passedit

Quote from: Hardy on August 22, 2010, 07:15:13 PM

That's what I meant, passedit - have an unofficial championship. Collect a few bob for a trophy, etc. I don't imagine the fact it's an official competition is the essence of it for those participating. Why let HQ deprive them of the sport? I know there might be insurance issues, etc. but feck that.

Biggest issue is the pitches hardy, can't see any club letting them have the use without CP sanction.
Don't Panic

Norf Tyrone

Tis a joke alright. I read this 3 or 4 weeks back in the Gaelic Life, with the official reason being that players are now catered for via social football!

Madness.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Never beat the deeler

Ridiculous decision by Croke Park. I know plenty men who enjoyed playing well into their forties, and I know there were proud Mayomen carrying that trophy home last year,

Article from Mayo news:
http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10585:mayo-over-40s-captain-demands-answers&catid=14&Itemid=100008
Hasta la victoria siempre

Buckass

The spokesperson also stressed the popularity of the recreational game and concluded by saying that this was, ‘the best way forward for our Association, if we are to serve the huge number of older members of our Association that are interested in playing hurling and football, and not just a small elite, that wish to play at inter-county level.’
Mudder a gawd, these must be the same spin doctors Bertie had in to explain the winnings on the horse.
On that argument, the inter/county should be done away with at all levels. Sure isn't there club minor/u-21 and senior to provide for 'the huge number that are interested in playing hurling and football, and not just a small elite, that wish to play at inter-county level'.
The association should be doing its best to support these players, many of whom who have given years to the GAA in their counties at club and, some, at county level. Isn't pulling in the bobs so they pull the plug.

fearglasmor

Its symptomatic of the times we live in where adults dont want to grow up and try to extend their youth long after it has passed. I'd rather see 40 somethings devote their time to administering, coaching and managing in their clubs than endlessly trying to re live their youth.

Less of the selfish and more of the selfless please.

Keyser soze

When the competition originally started it was run on an unofficial basis for the first couple of years but CP then insisited that it had to be sanctioned for insurance purposes etc only to then withdraw their approval after a few seasons. It does appear that the raison d'etre for this is to facilitate the introduction of recreational gaa. At least it wasn't combat burnout.  ;)

As regards being elitist many of the lads who i've played with and against never played county football, indeed i can think of a couple who i cannot remember even playing senior club. On the other hand somethe guys are still playing competitively and indeed have won senior championship medals whilst playing for the masters.

Many clubs now have over 35's who play wee tournaments. These players do this for the enjoyment of running out onto a pitch and kicking a ball about. A lot of these people are heavily involved in club activities at all levels, their playing activities has no impact on their gaa involvement. I want to have the CHOICE to continue to do this through a successfully established competition, if others feel i should act my age and retire that's up to them.

Mike Sheehy

slightly off topic but I just saw a pilot for a tv show here. There were two college basketball teams that played a controversial game 10 years ago that went down to the wire.  So they have them in training to play each other again 10 years later. Thought it was a great idea (and I fooking hate reality TV). Maybe that would be a way for the masters to get a run out again.

Mayo v Meath 1996 anyone....  :D

haranguerer

Quote from: Keyser soze on August 22, 2010, 11:02:15 AM
This year we had been training since start of June only to be informed last week, after a protracted series of meetings which went on for 3 months, that the competition would definitely not take place. I'm sure there were many other teams in a similar position.

I certainly think Croke Park should back it, but its hard to argue with their point about it being taken too seriously...

Bogball XV

Quote from: passedit on August 22, 2010, 07:29:37 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 22, 2010, 07:15:13 PM

Biggest issue is the pitches hardy, can't see any club letting them have the use without CP sanction.
I'm sure there's plenty of rugby clubs that'd be happy to host them - I think having a weekend for it would be a great idea, sort of like the sigerson, have the last eight come up for it and play the quarters, semis and finals of a weekend.