GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Have to say, as someone who supported the Sky deal, their coverage (or lack of) has been pretty appalling so far. For any sports broadcaster to get simple things like what competition and sport Kilkenny & Offaly are competing in is shocking, but for one the size of Sky smacks of a broadcasting corporation who don't give a flying.

I'm not sure what I expected from them but I expected a level of professionalism at least.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on June 04, 2014, 04:04:22 PM
Have to say, as someone who supported the Sky deal, their coverage (or lack of) has been pretty appalling so far. For any sports broadcaster to get simple things like what competition and sport Kilkenny & Offaly are competing in is shocking, but for one the size of Sky smacks of a broadcasting corporation who don't give a flying.

I'm not sure what I expected from them but I expected a level of professionalism at least.

They did a nice ad sure.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on June 04, 2014, 04:04:22 PM

Same as that. I thought they'd be leading in with 'teasers' on their news channel, like the Down Tyrone one. That was a perfect little teaser for the games. Then nothing. Nothing from two exciting hurling matches, despite a hurling game being their first one live. Nothing from any of the provincial football championships. Very disappointing unless they really raise their game when they start showing them.

Banter Panther

I'm like your good selves, I was very excited when I heard Sky would be getting involved in GAA coverage. Sky have been outstanding, and that's not a word I use lightly, in covering whatever sport they get behind. They rejuvenated football beyond belief, turned the unsexiest sport of them all (darts) into absolute theatre, their coverage of cricket, golf, rugby, ANYTHING, is top notch.

While we can only really judge them on their actual broadcasts, I'm building myself for a bit of a fall right now. First of all, Rachel Wyse aside I don't think their team is anything special (and I mention Rachel Wyse as a lady that I think has genuine ability) and while this Kilkenny-Offaly Connacht football thing is small, it is nonetheless a very embarrassing mistake. Kilkenny couldn't kick a football out of their f**king way!

Here's hoping I'm wrong.
'Donegal are a footballing superbug, with no obvious cure' - Joe Brolly 2013

muppet

At least they spelt Connacht right.

They probably can't understand how, nearly 5 weeks into the Connacht Championship, we have played a grand total of three matches.
MWWSI 2017

Banter Panther

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 04, 2014, 08:30:27 PM
A bit better.

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/9337726/gaa-to-make-debut-on-sky-sports
A lot better. That's exactly the kind of enthusiasm you expect from Sky, selling the game. As regard the Black card, he spoke eloquently. I've always liked the guy, it's easy to criticise somebody just because they weren't GAA players themselves, but give him a chance. On that evidence, he won't be half bad.

muppet

Quote from: Banter Panther on June 04, 2014, 10:35:01 PM
A bit better.

A lot better. That's exactly the kind of enthusiasm you expect from Sky, selling the game. As regard the Black card, he spoke eloquently. I've always liked the guy, it's easy to criticise somebody just because they weren't GAA players themselves, but give him a chance. On that evidence, he won't be half bad.

Yes it is better, but you you really have to jump straight into the controversy du jour before you have even broadcast a match?

Show some epic footage of the two teams, historical rivalry or whatever.
MWWSI 2017

BennyHarp

Fair play - Carney did a decent job there.
That was never a square ball!!

Banter Panther

Quote from: muppet on June 04, 2014, 10:36:48 PM
A bit better.

Yes it is better, but you you really have to jump straight into the controversy du jour before you have even broadcast a match?

They could have done that with the hurling, considering that it is a hurling match that they're broadcasting on Saturday, but you're nit-picking a bit. Sky have no reputation for being negative about the sports they broadcast. If anything, Carney was being positive in relation to the black card and its impact. Whether you like it or not, the black card is the big issue in GAA right now. You're not not going to talk about it.

muppet

Quote from: Banter Panther on June 04, 2014, 10:43:28 PM
A bit better.

They could have done that with the hurling, considering that it is a hurling match that they're broadcasting on Saturday, but you're nit-picking a bit. Sky have no reputation for being negative about the sports they broadcast. If anything, Carney was being positive in relation to the black card and its impact. Whether you like it or not, the black card is the big issue in GAA right now. You're not not going to talk about it.

MWWSI 2017

Banter Panther

Quote from: muppet on June 04, 2014, 10:46:23 PM
Quote from: Banter Panther on June 04, 2014, 10:43:28 PM
A bit better.

You don't.

GalwayBayBoy

GAA highlights show starts next Wednesday on Sky Sports 3 at 11pm.

AZOffaly

Zulu

Thought he wasn't too bad and it's a reasonable piece.