blow for "Our Wee Country"

Started by Lecale2, July 30, 2010, 02:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Does this mean that McShane can play for the North.

The Watcher Pat

There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

magickingdom

from the bbc:

"Fifa rules include a clause allowing players to change nationality once before they play a senior competitive match if they were born "on the territory of the relevant association".

The Good Friday Agreement of 1998 provided for Northern Ireland-born people to claim either British or Irish nationality.

Kearns, who attended the CAS hearing, was released by English club West Ham last season."

the above quote should be handed out to unionists households who still havent grasped the gfa. the relevant territory for irish nationality/passports is the 32 counties of ireland.

Rouge_Diablo

Can we now assume that the FAI can actively engage players at underage level in the 6 counties?

If the players played for Ireland at this level, it would put the transfer argument to bed wouldn't it?

The general consensus of the "outraged",in the public domain anyway, is one of lost investment, so that would no longer be the case.  Maybe its not just about the money?

13aside

muppet

Quote from: haranguerer on July 30, 2010, 03:46:51 PM
Quote from: delboy on July 30, 2010, 03:40:58 PM
Well im glad that a decision has been made so at least this issue can be put to bed. Players that don't want to play for NI can play for the republic, at least we will know the players that do declare for NI are 100 % commited to us, as a fan you can't ask for more than that  :)

In the grand scheme of things a few lost players won't make a titter of difference we won't be gracing any of the euro/world cup finals anytime soon either with or without them. But then supporting your team is more than just about qualifying for tournaments its about watching 11 players representing northern ireland on the pitch and giving it there all, this decision won't change that so as a fan as far as im concerned its business as usual for norn iron  :)

You're bound to be embarrassed that those IFA muppets took it to court then. I can't get over their stupidity at times , well all of the time really...

Muppets everywhere are offended at this comment.
MWWSI 2017

MW

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 30, 2010, 03:14:35 PM

amalgamation of teams the only way.

Ah right, so denying players choice isn't so bad after all then? ::)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: MW on August 03, 2010, 12:12:15 AM

oh the irony !! :D

deiseach

Zing!

MW

Orior

Quote from: MW on August 03, 2010, 09:12:38 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 03, 2010, 09:26:28 AM

Precisely.

Ah the old circular argument.

Its like Unionists telling us to accept a democracy which carefully manufactured by the creation of a majority in six counties. Yet ignore the democracy of an all Ireland.

If UK had a referendum to jettison the six counties then how do you think they would vote?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

MW

Quote from: Orior on August 03, 2010, 09:47:30 PM
Quote from: MW on August 03, 2010, 09:12:38 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 03, 2010, 09:26:28 AM

Precisely.

Ah the old circular argument.

Its like Unionists telling us to accept a democracy which carefully manufactured by the creation of a majority in six counties. Yet ignore the democracy of an all Ireland.

If UK had a referendum to jettison the six counties then how do you think they would vote?

Not sure how you class it as a circular argument.

I'm pointing out that anyone championing "choice" for players from NI at international level by definition can't support merging the NI & ROI teams. Well not without a great deal of hypocrisy.

Orior

Quote from: MW on August 03, 2010, 10:39:31 PM

I'm pointing out that anyone championing "choice" for players from NI at international level by definition can't support merging the NI & ROI teams. Well not without a great deal of hypocrisy.

Yeah but, no but, yeah but, no but

Choice infers that you have more than one option. Which is the case with players born in the occupied six.

What choice do you suggest players will have after re-unification? Will they want to align themselves with England? Maybe they could team up with Isle of Man?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

MW

Quote from: Orior on August 03, 2010, 11:04:10 PM
Quote from: MW on August 03, 2010, 10:39:31 PM

Yeah but, no but, yeah but, no but

Choice infers that you have more than one option. Which is the case with players born in the occupied six.

What choice do you suggest players will have after re-unification? Will they want to align themselves with England? Maybe they could team up with Isle of Man?

I think you're missing my point.

An all-Ireland team (in the context of an international border still existing on this island) would represent a denial of choice: a very odd position for any supporter of the right of "choice" to play for the RoI to take.

Main Street

Not a denial of choice, as it would have to be an agreed choice to have an All Ireland team in the first place.