Are the Bookies nuts?

Started by magickingdom, February 06, 2010, 12:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

i know theres a betting thread but this deserves a thread.

man u v portsmouth today, 2 horse race portsmouth to win 22/1. now i dont think there going to win so any bets will probably be lost but there sure is value there. .

AZOffaly

I think there's only value if you think they'll win. The Bookies have United so short for this, the only way they'll make money on it is by giving Pompey huge odds so people will think there's value.

If Portsmouth do win, they'll probably get a small sting, but it's more likely they'll make a few pound.

If Portsmouth were 4 or 6 to 1, no one would back them.

A Quinn Martin Production

I suppose like any bet it's risk vs. reward...
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

magickingdom

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 06, 2010, 12:23:54 PM
I think there's only value if you think they'll win. The Bookies have United so short for this, the only way they'll make money on it is by giving Pompey huge odds so people will think there's value.

If Portsmouth do win, they'll probably get a small sting, but it's more likely they'll make a few pound.

If Portsmouth were 4 or 6 to 1, no one would back them.

i think theres value at 22/1 az because i think the chances of portsmouth winning are closer to 5/1. the bookies want money on portsmouth and if anyone has some spare they should help the bookies out ;D

muppet

MWWSI 2017

longrunsthefox

Quote from: magickingdom on February 06, 2010, 12:20:58 PM

man u v portsmouth today, 2 horse race portsmouth to win 22/1. now i dont think there going to win so any bets will probably be lost but there sure is value there. .

::)

magickingdom

Quote from: muppet on February 06, 2010, 04:25:23 PM
Quote from: hardstation on February 06, 2010, 04:24:03 PM
4-0 anyway.

MK did you back them?

na muppet, the only time i generally hit the bookies is 3rd round of the fa cup and first round of the qualifiers with the odd punt on the ponies. my point is that if you keep following the value bets you should do ok, some of them will come off

haranguerer

Liar!  :D

I guess the bookies arent nuts then  :P

Lady GAA GAA

I think the OP's point was about the value in the odds, not the actual result. Idiots.

down6061689194

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 06, 2010, 12:23:54 PM
Not a bookie in the land would have lost money had pompey won. Even at 50/1
When you consider 1-0 is the most common win for an away team that means first goal scorer bets are ruled out, then id say 50% of acums today had united. Thats alot, regardless, Rangers screwed a good few acums so I doubt bookies are concerned.

Ross County @ 1.66 today. 9-0. I hate not having a sweat

Maiden1

But are the odds that good?

Manchester United have only lost at home twice in the last 2 seasons so they only lose 1 in 15 at home on average (2 out of 31 games).  So make the odds 1 in 22 for a team that is bottom of the league by quite a distance, doesn't make the odds from the bookies that good.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

randomtask

the bookies nearly always wins...

Doire abú

Quote from: magickingdom on February 06, 2010, 12:20:58 PM

3 horse race - Utd win, Portsmouth win and the draw.

Hope you kept your money in your pocket! ::)

under the bar

QuoteAre the Bookies nuts?

patently not. they get rich from mug-punters like you, no matter what odds they offer!

magickingdom

Quote from: under the bar on February 07, 2010, 12:27:02 AM
QuoteAre the Bookies nuts?

patently not. they get rich from mug-punters like you, no matter what odds they offer!

did you even read my post ffs?