Lions Tour

Started by bennydorano, June 03, 2017, 07:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 02, 2021, 11:31:07 AM
And I was castigated for saying the lions was nothing but a jolly.

And you should be again.

Quote from: 6th sam on August 02, 2021, 12:29:19 PM
a contrived, overhyped gather-up.

Contrived? The first Lions Tour was in 1888!?!

However how somebody from Munster can get worked up about playing alongside someone from Northampton, genuinely baffles me

Your bafflement can be more easily understood by others when it is considered that you label a sporting institution, in its third century of competing, as 'contrived'. 

thewobbler

The writing has been on the wall for years, but Rugby is doomed; it has become a game for over-coached, over-steroided, over-aggressive robots, who have an unusual willingness to sacrifice their future health to run headfirst into likeminded people.

It's not entertainment and it's now among the least safest sporting endeavours on earth.

Until they can widen all top level pitches by 10-15 yards, they should go to 12 or 13 a side.

Rudi

Quote from: thewobbler on August 02, 2021, 03:00:02 PM
The writing has been on the wall for years, but Rugby is doomed; it has become a game for over-coached, over-steroided, over-aggressive robots, who have an unusual willingness to sacrifice their future health to run headfirst into likeminded people.

It's not entertainment and it's now among the least safest sporting endeavours on earth.

Until they can widen all top level pitches by 10-15 yards, they should go to 12 or 13 a side.

+1, the game has gone horrendous. Saturday was shocking entertainment.

6th sam

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on August 02, 2021, 02:31:27 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on August 02, 2021, 11:31:07 AM
And I was castigated for saying the lions was nothing but a jolly.

And you should be again.

a contrived, overhyped gather-up.

Contrived? The first Lions Tour was in 1888!?!

However how somebody from Munster can get worked up about playing alongside someone from Northampton, genuinely baffles me

Your bafflement can be more easily understood by others when it is considered that you label a sporting institution, in its third century of competing, as 'contrived'.

The Act of union was 1800. So from 1888 it was The "British" lions, fair enough.  incredibly it continued with that name even after The 26 counties became an independent nation in 1921, and only became the "British and Irish " lions in 2001. Surely if international players needed an extra representative layer, then there should be a European team. I just don't get the "British isles " thing. I could even understand a UK lions team , giving unionist players in the North the opportunity to play for a British representative side , with which they could clearly affiliate . But how a Munster man , kisses the badge of a "British and Irish" team , I can't understand . Why not team up with the French for an Atlantic team then?😂🤦🏻‍♂️.
Rugby's issue is that only a handful of nations take the sport seriously and they are a cut above everybody else. In Only NZ , pacific islands and Wales is it the major sport. Because teams are sometimes on the opposite extremes of the planet , matches are organised in elongated tours, and an extra representative layer provides a few extra matches, which many rugby people find interesting, and fair play to them. But for me a lot of it is contrived and unnatural . Only my opinion, it doesn't keep me awake at night 😂

bennydorano

I actually agree that top level rugby can't go on as is, as much as I love watching it, it is shocking brutal, some of the hits are wince inducing and dangerous (the legal ones). Turning pro could be responsible for killing it long term. (But then again I look at hurlers nowadays and think how can this sport keep moving forward when you've now got 2 X 15 sets of players at 6ft 2+ and 16 st and not a dermy to be seen).

trailer

Quote from: bennydorano on August 02, 2021, 04:21:53 PM
I actually agree that top level rugby can't go on as is, as much as I love watching it, it is shocking brutal, some of the hits are wince inducing and dangerous (the legal ones). Turning pro could be responsible for killing it long term. (But then again I look at hurlers nowadays and think how can this sport keep moving forward when you've now got 2 X 15 sets of players at 6ft 2+ and 16 st and not a dermy to be seen).

An easy solution would be to reduce the number of Subs. We often see front rows completely changed in a game. Reduce the sub option and those players need to become fitter and leaner to survive the 80 mins. Leaner and in theory lighter players would hopefully reduce the force of the collisions. Rugby does recognise the problem, at least internally anyway. But the rule changes etc are simply window dressing. More drastic changes are needed.

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on August 02, 2021, 04:36:26 PM

An easy solution would be to reduce the number of Subs. We often see front rows completely changed in a game. Reduce the sub option and those players need to become fitter and leaner to survive the 80 mins. Leaner and in theory lighter players would hopefully reduce the force of the collisions. Rugby does recognise the problem, at least internally anyway. But the rule changes etc are simply window dressing. More drastic changes are needed.

Gotten a bit like American football alright.

Lord help the front rows if subs are limited.

thewobbler

It's an interesting idea Trailer.

I just can't help thinking that if there's an advantage to be gained in injuring someone who can't be replaced, then it'll be exploited.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnnycool on August 02, 2021, 04:50:01 PM

Gotten a bit like American football alright.

Lord help the front rows if subs are limited.
There has been a definite shift away from that in the last couple of years. Players are getting hammered by the refs for anything above shoulder height and you rarely see "Superman" dives through a ruck. That's not to say these hits don't happen, but when offenders continue to get binned or lined they'll eventually have to adjust their style.

bigarsedkeeper

There's always rugby league if that's the direction you want to see rugby go, but it doesn't reduce the collisions involved. Heard a former pro talking about the amount of pain killers involved with the sport, union is the same too. I never really got into league, maybe it's because I had no natural team to support in it, but I always found it very repetitive.

I have found I have watched less and less union over the last few years too for all the reasons mentioned here. I thought it peaked around 10 years ago but hasn't been as good to watch since.

trailer

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on August 03, 2021, 10:14:30 AM

There's always rugby league if that's the direction you want to see rugby go, but it doesn't reduce the collisions involved. Heard a former pro talking about the amount of pain killers involved with the sport, union is the same too. I never really got into league, maybe it's because I had no natural team to support in it, but I always found it very repetitive.

I have found I have watched less and less union over the last few years too for all the reasons mentioned here. I thought it peaked around 10 years ago but hasn't been as good to watch since.

The size of players who now play on the wing or centres is dramatically different even in 10 years. A lot of them would've played in the pack 20 or 30 years ago such is their size.
I definitely think adjusting the game so players are lighter or fitter would be a good starting point. Probably not the magic solution but coupled with these changes we see around the tackle it might make a change.
Society is changing, it's only a matter of time until heading in soccer is severely reduced or banned outright at least at amateur level anyway. Rugby will be no different. When ex players start to talk about the effects it's pretty shocking and I don't doubt it was a factor in CJ Stander retiring when he did.

screenexile

Quote from: Capt Pat on July 31, 2021, 07:40:32 PM
I see the GAA are running the Limerick all Ireland hurling semi final in direct competition with the Lions decider 5 o clock on saturday. That is Limerick rugby city. I will of course watch both at the same time on my various devices.

I presume this is a wind up.
The all-ireland semifinal of our national sport , should bow to a contrived, overhyped gather-up.
I can just see it , lads on tables in pubs around the country (outside and socially distanced of course) , singing the fields of Athenry , beating their chests and roaring with tears in their eyes , "I'm British & Irish to the core" 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

I used to enjoy Irish rugby internationals , but my interest has wained in recent years as the game has got more boring and high risk of head/neck injuries. But I can still relate to the sense of place eg  club, province , country. However how somebody from Munster can get worked up about playing alongside someone from Northampton, genuinely baffles me

You might be in for a shock when someone explains professional sport to you . . . on some occasions lads might play together for club teams and not even be from the same country  :o :o :o

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/matt-williams-rugby-in-desperate-need-of-a-major-overhaul-to-its-antiquated-laws-1.4635204

Rugby's current blight was the blight of the first Test. A huge number of aimless kicks from both teams, ridiculous chunks of game time wasted with exactly nothing happening, as the forwards stood about, refusing to form scrum after tedious scrum.

Add in the long delays that are sadly now part of every match, as replacements spluttered onto the pitch and the match officials endlessly stopped play to talk to each other.

Running rugby
What was missing from the first Lions Test and so many other games is rugby's unique selling point. Rugby is different from every other ball sport because it is the only game on the planet where you have to run forward and pass the ball backwards.

It is the players running with the ball in their hand and passing to a teammate that is not only unique, it is also a joy to behold. Running rugby has a magic that mesmerises people. Words fail to adequately describe the exhilaration it creates and, much more importantly for the future of the game, running rugby can be monetised. Running the ball is sexy and fun. Parents want their kids to play it and advertisers and sponsors will pay for it.
If the future of rugby is represented by the first Lions Test, then our beautiful game is gravely ill and in desperate need of a major overhaul to its antiquated laws.

Rugby supporters have longed for the day when World Rugby would begin the overdue reforms to the laws that we can all see are required. So a few weeks ago, when World Rugby announced the new law changes for 2021-22 the rugby community was hopeful. The changes since announced were so inconsequential I will not even bother to list them. Rugby people across the globe were stupefied at the lack of meaningful law changes.

There was nothing to reduce the endless mauls and box kicks. Zero on the huge amount of time-wasting at scrums and goal kicks. Nothing to enhance the current imbalance and advantages that defenders have over the attackers. Nothing to reduce referees' non-stop, needless talking.

In not acting to restoring the much-needed balance between attack and defence, World Rugby's legislators continue to punish players who want to do what the young William Webb Ellis did. That is to pick the ball up and have a reasonable amount of time and space to catch the ball, run with it, then pass it. This is every player's birthright and the pure essence of the game which is now under threat.

Whether it is competing at the Olympic Games or ensuring a Lions tour in a pandemic, when rugby puts its substantial, collective will behind a project there is almost nothing the game cannot achieve. And there is your answer. Rugby's legislative elite simply do not have the collective political will for essential internal reform.

Rugby is in desperate need of administrative champions who will be able to pursue the relentless simplification of the labyrinth of obsolete laws that have been left untouched for decades because rugby's current crop of politicians simply don't have the political balls to make the hard calls required to do what the entire rugby community knows is urgently needed.

PS If World Rugby's officials had seen Rassie Erasmus's video privately, it would be just another tough talk with a coach. Conversations like this happen face to face, at most Test matches. Rassie was justified to cite the three exceptionally dangerous pieces of play by the Lions that all required cards and went unpunished.

In publicly releasing the video Rassie crossed a line.

Like all in rugby, Rassie is frustrated at World Rugby's decades-long refusal to meaningfully reform officiating. Our referees are failing because they are required to judge an impossible number of situations far too quickly.

Rassie has shed some light on rugby's officiating problems. Whether he has damaged the game and his own career at the same time remains to be seen.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

DuffleKing