Dr Pat Duggan

Started by JMohan, September 18, 2008, 10:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

Interesting commentary.
I'd agree with most of it too fomr what I know ....

Duggan calls for review of Dublin football
18 September 2008

Former Dublin footballer Dr Pat Duggan has accused some of the county's biggest stars of lacking leadership and being disloyal to their clubs in a six-page discussion document issued to clubs in the capital.

The Dr Crokes clubman, who has been a prominent figure on the club scene for many years, also claims in the document entitled 'What is wrong with Dublin football?' that some players lack ambition and are happy to be on the Dublin panel purely for the buzz it brings and to enjoy the fringe benefits while having "no ambition or realistic chance of ever playing championship football."

Duggan pulls no punches in his analysis before offering up a number of suggestions that he believes could help to remedy an ailing situation if implemented.

He wrote: "Having been involved in the Dublin club/county scene for the past 25 years in may roles from mentor/manager, administrator to medical official, I wish to outline my thoughts on where Dublin football is at the moment.

"One senior football All-Ireland in 25 years together with minimal success at under 21 and minor level in recent years points to a critical situation.

"Having been involved in a medical capacity with most of the management teams over the past 25 years, I can only say the level of professionalism by all of them is second to none.

"So let us be clear on one thing. The problem with Dublin football does not lie in the quality of the management teams."

Addressing the issue of the leadership shown by players, he added: "Of major interest to us involved in club football is the alarming fact that many of our senior inter-county players also have a poor record in terms of showing leadership in their clubs.

"Not alone do many not provide any leadership, but some in fact are the most difficult players to manage at club level."

screenexile

Totally agree with what Duggan is saying. When I played for Ballyboden there were 3 County men and I could safely say only one of them cared about the club at all!!! I would even go so far as to say that there was a stage when one of the lads was sent back by Caffrey to play a few games to get his fitness back he nearly considered it an insult!

Unless you have a healthy appreciation for your club I think it's difficult for you to achieve what Dublin are trying to. Especially with all the media and supporter hype that surrounds the team the club is where your feet can be planted back on the ground and your friends can slag you and take you down a peg or two and remind you of who you really are.Dublin are sadly lacking that at the minute and it's something they will need to embrace if they want to do well!

Canalman

Jeez, give it a rest lads. You've got your wish in seeing the Dubs beaten. Leave the threads to the Res Dubs forum. Get the impression this thread is just an excuse  to kick the Dubs when they are down. Dancing on the Grave comes to mind.

screenexile

It's a legitamite point and an article written in the beloved Dubs Indo... the first to jump on the Dubs bandwagon and the first to jump off. Do you think the fact that Dublin players play a very small number of games for their home clubs has a bearing on their mentality and how they play for the county team? I sure think it does!

Canalman

Screenexile,
Indeed have my own theories as to why Dublin are underachieving on a constant basis. Do not wish to elaborate on it in this forum given the hostility shown to the Dubs in the past. Would just give more ammo to the cheap shot merchants who populate the forum  Sin é. 

JMohan

It's in no way meant as a cheap shot at all canalman - way out of order.

I'd actually be delighted to see Dublin win an All Ireland, but I think they are missing a few things and this article is a very good summary of some of the things that they could change to improve it.

Rather than having an inferiority complex or persecution complex it would be well worthwhile looking at the substance of the article rather than abusing the messenger as I think it would serve Dublin football better.

And trust me, ironically Dublin are not the only one's suffering this afflcition currently ... Louth, Meath, Cavan and a few others could do with reading this piece IMO.

rosnarun

QuoteIndeed have my own theories as to why Dublin are underachieving on a constant basis. Do not wish to elaborate on it in this forum given the hostility shown to the Dubs in the past. Would just give more ammo to the cheap shot merchants who populate the forum  Sin é. 
Why come onto a discussion board if your afraid of giving your opinions?

but as to the main point I dont think Dublin are underachieving they are just not nearly as good as they think they are and no matter how much hype their is they im afraid are the bare facts/
Like ithe IRFU they have a team excellently prepared  but they have to ask themselves what are they prepared for ?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

JMohan

In the interests of fairness ...

Whelan rejects Duggan criticism

Dublin midfielder Ciaran Whelan
18 September 2008

Dublin midfielder Ciaran Whelan has reacted angrily to criticism levelled at him and his team-mates by Dr Pat Duggan, and has accused the former Dublin team doctor of being "out of touch".

In a discussion document entitled 'What is wrong with Dublin football?', the Kilmacud Crokes clubman and former Dublin player questioned the leadership qualities of the Dublin players and accused them of being disloyal to their clubs.

Whelan, who has yet to make an announcement regarding his inter-county future, said: "The Dublin team accepts criticism when they under-perform but this is over the top. He has judged a panel of over 30 players without knowing the facts. Obviously, he is out of touch.

"All the lads know what an honour it is to play for Dublin and are acutely aware that they are representing their clubs when they do so. Lads have families and professions and give an incredible amount of time and commitment to the intercounty cause."

Reacting to suggestions that members of the Dublin squad are disloyal to their clubs, Whelan added: "We are not professionals and while some players will take a holiday at the end of their inter-county summer and may miss club training sessions, they all played with their clubs in the recent Dublin senior football championship. It is hardly a crime to take a short break after a season which began right at the start of the New Year.

"If he has issues within his own club, they should be tackled there but to tar all Dublin players with the same brush is not on."

JMohan

Quote from: rosnarun on September 18, 2008, 03:14:48 PM
QuoteIndeed have my own theories as to why Dublin are underachieving on a constant basis. Do not wish to elaborate on it in this forum given the hostility shown to the Dubs in the past. Would just give more ammo to the cheap shot merchants who populate the forum  Sin é. 
Why come onto a discussion board if your afraid of giving your opinions?

but as to the main point I dont think Dublin are underachieving they are just not nearly as good as they think they are and no matter how much hype their is they im afraid are the bare facts/
Like ithe IRFU they have a team excellently prepared  but they have to ask themselves what are they prepared for ?

That is VERY debatable