Potential New Armagh Managers (with a bit of luck we'll need one)

Started by topgun, July 09, 2007, 06:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topgun

who are the potential candidates and wat difference will they bring in terms of personel and style of play!!!!
a prophet is not recognised by his own

BallyhaiseMan

If Joe Kernan leaves

id say its between

Paul Grimley and John Rafferty.

Hope Grimley would give Cavan one more year,but if the job becomes available hed go for it.

Spiritof98

Kernan has big influence in the  county board, doubt Grimley will get it, too many of the players like him too much, that why Kernan did the dirty on him.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Armamike

Grimley with McGeeney as his assistant would  be the dream ticket but i doubt it will happen. 

BTW everyone's assuming Kernan will step down. Why?  I can't  remember seeing any direct quote from him at any point saying that this was going to be his last year. The media yes, but not Kernan himself.  The big question is whether the county board will make Joe's mind up for him?

That's just, like your opinion man.

Uladh

thewobbler

Say what you like about Big Joe lads, but the bottom line is that over the past 10 years, between club and county football, almost every single team he has sent out has been 100% committed and extremely well organised. He might have his favourites and he might have his nuances, but that still puts him streets ahead of 99.9% of managers out there - as Armagh fans will find out when he does move along.

Personally, I'd love him in charge of Down...pity we couldn't afford him.

gortnaleck

He should step down I think,but just to give the sons a chance to play for a different manager.I"d imagine they would be delighted too as I"d say they have to take some slagging about their Da getting them on the team.There are loads of other counties who would be glad to have him manage them

mannix

illdecide

Can't remember where i read it (prob on this board somewhere) but someone said big Grimley with Marsden and McGeeney as his side kicks. That mighten be to bad, Grimley for the brains, McGeeney for the discipline and Marsden for the man management of the players and show them a few moves (f**k it i meant the money :D)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

mackers

Wobbler, you'll find the majority of Armagh fans do appreciate what Kernan did and only for him we may well have had no All-Irelands, he certainly brought the X factor to both Crossmaglen and Armagh, but I'm sure you'll agree (with Pete McGrath in mind) that the Same Voice Syndrome can leave the thing a bit stale. I get the impression that players who would have run through a brick wall for him in 2002 wouldn't do it now.  Puts the feats of Sean Boylan in perspective!!!
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

the Deel Rover

we got rid of John Morrison after us getting to an AI he is from Armagh i think he brought a skip to the 1st training session for players to get rid of emotional Garbage now i see why Kerry bet us ;) ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

orangeman

Wobbler - I think you're wrong there - In Ballybofey, I saw one of all the all time great defensive displays from Armagh, only for the goalie to let the side down -
Now consider this for a moment - had Paul Hearty NOT dropped the ball into his own net, Armagh would have gone to beat Tyrone in the Ulster semi final, would steamroll Monaghan in the Final and Joe Kernan would have been King of the Castle AGAIN - And all you Armagh supporters would have been going round the county slapping Joe on the back AGAIN !

naka

orangeman you are right re hearty but the bottom line is that as a team we are too defensive, we only scored 9 scores in both games which are not enough to win champioship games

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Spiritof98 on July 09, 2007, 07:51:11 PM
Kernan has big influence in the  county board, doubt Grimley will get it, too many of the players like him too much, that why Kernan did the dirty on him.

I'd love to know what the dirty is? - The only thing i've heard is that Grimley may/or may not have been in line to take over at one stage, & Big Joe never stepped aside!? Hardly did the dirty on him if this is the case!?

thewobbler

mackers - the biggest difference between Joe Kernan and Pete McGrath is that even when McGrath had a good team they occasionally got stuffed, and when he had a poor pick to choose from, they almost always got stuffed. Armagh may not have achieved their full worth over the past 5 years (although I would argue they have), but they have always been competitive, in every single game. Not many managers can lay a claim as strong as that.