GAA in Britain

Started by BennyHarp, June 20, 2007, 12:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: theticklemister on March 09, 2014, 07:35:27 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on March 09, 2014, 07:27:22 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on March 09, 2014, 06:38:48 PM
Well Benny did you make it up the road to us today for the friendly?

I did aye. Good run out. That was a decent lad you lent us. I'd get him signed up quick smart if I were you. Thanks for the game, I'm sure we'll see you in Leeds later in the year?

Yeah im sure you will. Aye no club yet and not registered so he is coming to us. We have the Wolfe Tone Cup final next week so only going today with the boys we know we have for next week and a few more missing also today. How many were you missing? Some day for the football. I took in the Mitchells v Peters game then. Two teams had bare minimum like, but still a close game which Peters won by three but Mitchells had more men on the sideline than playing! Wouldn't read too much into it. Good luck for year ahead lad!

Cheers, we only had 13 so were missing 7 or 8 of what would be our starting team. One of our lads had his stag do this weekend actually in Liverpool but we could only convince one if them to come along to play today. Was our first outing of the year so was happy enough. Best of luck to yourselves next weekend .
That was never a square ball!!

theticklemister

Well the season is nearly upon us. What's the predictions about Lancashire? Gonna be tight this year. I reckon if Oisins get their act together they could do damage. Any time I seen them last year they had talent but couldn't put a run together. Any of the big four could win this.

BennyHarp

Quote from: theticklemister on March 14, 2014, 12:23:32 AM
Well the season is nearly upon us. What's the predictions about Lancashire? Gonna be tight this year. I reckon if Oisins get their act together they could do damage. Any time I seen them last year they had talent but couldn't put a run together. Any of the big four could win this.

Looking in from the outside but with a fair bit of experience of the teams in Lancs I'd probably not look too far beyond Mitchell's again. The draw looks a bit lop sided and this may make it difficult for Oisins to progress but to be fair they are the team I have seen least over the past few years so they could spring a surprise. We played Brendan's early last year and they look very well drilled but perhaps just lack the know how of Mitchell's in a tight game.

Lancashire looks very strong and much more competitive than Yorkshire were I fear we will see very little senior football outside the Pennine League, as teams most seem to have thrown in the towel. I think it may only be ourselves and Cuchullainnns contesting the senior championship, which is a poor show.

By the way congrats on lifting your first major trophy on Sunday. First of many I hope, as there are  plenty of good people knocking around your club.

theticklemister

Wolfe Tone Final 15/3/14

St.Brendans Manchester 0-07 v 1-07 Wolfe Tones Liverpool

The Wolfe Tones of Liverpool created history when they beat St.Brendans by a goal in a tight encounter to claim their first ever piece of silverware for the club. Since the club's inception in 2010, they have failed to see out a final on a winning score-line; however this all changed on Saturday. A gutsy second-half performance against a hellish breeze, seen the boys in green, white and gold across the line.

The Wolfe Tones won the toss and decided to play with the strong wind at their back.  Through wayward shooting, poor passing and failure to retain possession however, they didn't capitalise on this advantage. It took 10 minutes before they raised the green flag, when a Nigel Grennan free opened their account. St.Brendans quickly replied however before the Wolfe Tones went ahead through a Darragh McCullough effort. This was cancelled out yet again, as the Brendans got on the scoresheet from a free. Down at the other end the Wolfe Tones were still making hard work of their chances. Two super runs from Caomhan Scanlan and captain Conor Lamph failed to produce scores and long-range efforts from McCullough, Peter Cosgrove and Cristy Harkin harmlessly went wide. With 8 minutes to go, Scanlon came out to the middle with Grennan going the opposite way; this had the desired effect.  Consequently, the latter managed to get onto long balls, while the former fetched a few balls in midfield to put the Brendans under pressure as the half came to a close. As the half-time whistle went the score read Wolfe Tones 0-04 v 0-02 Brendans. No doubt the Manchester men the happier bunch of with the wind to come on the second half.

The Wolfe Tones had it all to do in the second half but a classy effort on the restart from Grennan settled the nerves, but on came the expected onslaught from Brendans to add a flurry of scores. The Wolfe Tones defence managed to get their act together however and started to keep the scoring to a minimum after the initial wave-and-wave of maroon attack. Richie Barry's clever kickouts helped negate the threat of a wind-assisted Brendans and in turn mounted attacks for the Tones.  Then came a decisive moment in the game when a Tone's goal was harshly ruled out for a square ball, to still leave the Brendans two points ahead. Instead of this deflating the Liverpool men, they rose to the challenge and strong running from Harkin, Scanlon and Lamph, who also hit the bar; paid dividends. The former two also hit classy efforts from long range to show their new-found belief on the scoreboard to leave the Tones one point up. The Wolfe Tones resurgence then came in the form of a goal when a Grennan effort broke to the onrushing substitute Damien Murphy who simply tapped it into the empty net. This left the Tones four points up. A late siege at the goal of Barry and Co only yielded one point, as the Wolfe Tones deservedly won their first ever trophy.

Anyone wishing to join the Wolfe Tones for football (men and ladies) or hurling for the upcoming season, contact Cathal on 07593923421

Wolfe Tones: Richie Barry (Cork); Gabriel Clerkin (Louth), John Eustace (Wicklow); Johnny Cleary (Tipperary), Peter Cosgrove (Monaghan), Mickey Gallagher (Donegal); Nigel Grennan (Offaly,  0-03 (1f)), Cristy Harkin (Donegal); Conor Lamph (Armagh, (c)), Darragh McCullough (Tyrone, 0-02), Ryan Power (Derry); Caomhin Scanlon (Dublin, 0-02), Adam O'Hare (Antrim). Subs: Damien Murphy (Tyrone, 1-00), Jim Devlin (Tyrone), Kevin Moran (Kerry), Darren Corr (Tyrone), Conor Harpur (Tyrone)

Manager: Cathal Harkin (Derry)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Benny.

What is the strength of Hugh O'Neills and JFK? I know they probably wouldnt touch you or Cu Cuchullians, but how would they fare against us. What about Brothers Pearse?

In years to come I can see the championship being turned into a Penine League type system. With Senior the 6 teams and then Junior championship would be the other teams from Yorkshire and the Junior teams of the senior teams. That would make the Junior championship a hard championship to win as well as have more teams in the senior championship.

BennyHarp

O'Neills would be strong enough if they got all their players out but I suppose thats like most clubs. However, they very rarely ever seem able to get their best players out together and they didnt field in the senior championship last year. Bros Pearse are a great club and are doing brilliant work at underage, however they have lost alot of players over the past few years and had a very young team last year and like Wolf Tones may need a few years just playing junior to get themselves sorted. JFK are a law unto themselves and only really bother fielding for the junior league which is a bit frustrating as they have a few decent players too.

I'd like the idea of merging the two counties but it probably would never happen as the counties would need to give up their individual county boards.

theticklemister

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 20, 2014, 02:42:07 PM
O'Neills would be strong enough if they got all their players out but I suppose thats like most clubs. However, they very rarely ever seem able to get their best players out together and they didnt field in the senior championship last year. Bros Pearse are a great club and are doing brilliant work at underage, however they have lost alot of players over the past few years and had a very young team last year and like Wolf Tones may need a few years just playing junior to get themselves sorted. JFK are a law unto themselves and only really bother fielding for the junior league which is a bit frustrating as they have a few decent players too.

I'd like the idea of merging the two counties but it probably would never happen as the counties would need to give up their individual county boards.

So you reckon they will not field in games?

BennyHarp

Quote from: theticklemister on March 20, 2014, 04:51:12 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on March 20, 2014, 02:42:07 PM

So you reckon they will not field in games?

I'm sure they will in the Pennine League, they just didn't field in last years senior championship which was a bit disappointing.

BennyHarp

theticklemister

One of the boys said this at training. Ill be checking if he is registered before we play them!!

theticklemister

What were the other scores in the pennine lads?

Our game was called off as JFK failed to field and the brendans nd oisins game was called off.

BennyHarp

Quote from: theticklemister on March 31, 2014, 05:20:20 PM
What were the other scores in the pennine lads?

Our game was called off as JFK failed to field and the brendans nd oisins game was called off.

We were well beaten by Cuchullainn, we had a bad day, for a variety of reasons we only ended up with 15 men. Close until the last 10 mins then we conceded 3 goals. Think O'Neills beat Lawrence's and that was the only other game played I think.

Maroon Manc

Peters V Mitchels was called of too.

This weeks fixtures below, its great to see such a competitive Division 1. Should be 3 close games.

06/04/2014   Pennine League 1   CĂș Chulainn          v   St Brendans
06/04/2014   Pennine League 1   John Mitchels   v   Oisin
06/04/2014   Pennine League 1   St Peters                  v             St Bendict Harps

06/04/2014   Pennine League 2   Bro. Pearce   v   Hugh O Neills
06/04/2014   Pennine League 2   JFK      v   St Lawrences

theticklemister

Any scores from Lancashire? Cant get hem.

Our game was called off.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: theticklemister on April 14, 2014, 01:14:34 PM
Any scores from Lancashire? Cant get hem.

Our game was called off.

Mitchels beat us by 4 or 5 points.
Oisins beat Benedicts by a goals.
Peters beat CuChulainns comfortably.

theticklemister

A ref could not be found for us apparently. That means no game for us.