Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: tiempo on June 09, 2021, 10:10:40 AM
Quote from: trailer on June 09, 2021, 09:16:37 AM
Quote from: tiempo on June 07, 2021, 02:56:17 PM
Fast forward 3 or 4 months and into the business end of the club season. You could have county subs/fringe squad players with 3 or 4 games played in 4 months at club level going in against lads with 10-12 games behind them in the same spell. I'm sure there's plenty of lads outside the county panel itching to get a crack at the county men to show they're at the level and worth consideration for county, but it's a bit harsh on those subs to sit there only training and then expect them to deliver anything for club or county going in against lads with game time under their belt at both levels. The life of a fringe County player is worse than reserve players at this stage, second class citizens in the same respect

I think it has been clear from the outset. County panel don't play in starred games. It's shite if you have county players but that's the way it is. Some hybrid fringe subs nonsense won't work and will only lead to more upset.

Upshot, at least the meat suits know where they stand.

Out: football
In: protein shakes and star handpass drill

Difficult to keep everyone happy. The other option they tried whn I played was to train like a dog Mar - Apr. Pause entire football ad hoc from May to Oct but importantly not give players any notice so continue to train like a dog. Cram entire league and championship into 8 weeks before Christmas. Pitches getting worse every week.
Upshot you had county players, downside everyone was completely fucked off and club player dropouts was huge.

tiempo

I agree Trailer, it's not possible to keep everyone happy, but there's clearly one group of stakeholder here being treated as second class, first and foremost in this situation keeping them happy should priority. We are treating gifted County standard players worse than reserve footballers, there is a cohort who haven't kicked a ball yet this year, its June, while their club and county team mates have games and minutes under their belt.

The whold world has gone through a shit show of a pandemic, we're potentially coming out the other side of it and we're still preventing lads from playing, treating them as mere collateral to keep other people happy.

The walkouts speak for themselves (McClure aside), lads not starting for the county care deeply for their clubs and want some sort of football to get up to speed, endless training is no use to any manager when down the line their player is burnt out training with no competitive match practice and potentially confidence shot to bits.

And the biggest blowback this will have is when McShane returns, is jettisoned straight into county 15 or immediate subs ahead of these other lads who have toiled away. That fucks the whole thing up as a) Cathal has nothing behind him at the lower level to get up to speed and test himself following a long layoff and b) the rest of the county fringe players get further disenfranchised.

Its not that hard to square the circle, let the lads who played less than 1.5 of the 3 NFL to date play club football.

trailer

Quote from: tiempo on June 09, 2021, 05:09:07 PM
I agree Trailer, it's not possible to keep everyone happy, but there's clearly one group of stakeholder here being treated as second class, first and foremost in this situation keeping them happy should priority. We are treating gifted County standard players worse than reserve footballers, there is a cohort who haven't kicked a ball yet this year, its June, while their club and county team mates have games and minutes under their belt.

The whold world has gone through a shit show of a pandemic, we're potentially coming out the other side of it and we're still preventing lads from playing, treating them as mere collateral to keep other people happy.

The walkouts speak for themselves (McClure aside), lads not starting for the county care deeply for their clubs and want some sort of football to get up to speed, endless training is no use to any manager when down the line their player is burnt out training with no competitive match practice and potentially confidence shot to bits.

And the biggest blowback this will have is when McShane returns, is jettisoned straight into county 15 or immediate subs ahead of these other lads who have toiled away. That fucks the whole thing up as a) Cathal has nothing behind him at the lower level to get up to speed and test himself following a long layoff and b) the rest of the county fringe players get further disenfranchised.

Its not that hard to square the circle, let the lads who played less than 1.5 of the 3 NFL to date play club football.

Agree with a lot of that. A split season solves all these issues. Hopefully the GAA see that as well.

smort

I believe there is a split season from next year. Looking forward to it, although would have preferred if club went first, think its going to be county for first half of the year

tyroneman

Are we any closer to knowing if McShane will play?

I'd say if he doesn't get any football this wekeend, it's hard to see him featuring at all this year (at least in Ulster)

southtyronegael

Very positive interview from fergal Logan in today's Irish news. Really looking forward to tomorrow evening's game now

Fuzzman

I heard Cathal played a few in-house matches and is coming along nicely regarding his injury but his fitness is well behind others.
I'd expect him to come on as a sub today.

Will we go all out to win this today with the benefit of another match v the Dubs or will we be bate before we walk on the pitch.
I see it's on TG4 at 5pm.

Met a few Cavan lads this week in Downings and they seem confident enough for the match with us.
They see us as very unsettled just now with no definite starting 15 and a very weak MF area.
Naturally they are unsure will they beat Donegal in the semi but they certainly don't seem to fear us which is surprising when you look at their record against us.

inroundthesquare

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 12, 2021, 08:38:30 AM
I heard Cathal played a few in-house matches and is coming along nicely regarding his injury but his fitness is well behind others.
I'd expect him to come on as a sub today.

Will we go all out to win this today with the benefit of another match v the Dubs or will we be bate before we walk on the pitch.
I see it's on TG4 at 5pm.

Met a few Cavan lads this week in Downings and they seem confident enough for the match with us.
They see us as very unsettled just now with no definite starting 15 and a very weak MF area.
Naturally they are unsure will they beat Donegal in the semi but they certainly don't seem to fear us which is surprising when you look at their record against us.

"Probably a week too soon" for McShane according to Dooher on BBC

God14

Mcshane doesn't even make the 26.

southtyronegael

trailer

McGeary starts. Can't wait to watch him kick the ball away.

Gaafan2

Quote from: trailer on June 12, 2021, 04:22:26 PM

What did McGeary do to you, you have some vendetta against him ::)

clarshack

McGeary proving you wrong so far.

CK_Redhand

Started brightly enough but the defence is wide open at times. Hope canavan is ok but doesn't look good

trailer

Quote from: clarshack on June 12, 2021, 05:14:13 PM

McGeary proving you wrong so far.

This is f**king terrible to watch. An embarrassment so far.