Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Tempoman

unfortunately lisbellaw were beaten yesterday 2-13 - 2-5. The score was 1-5 to 1-3 at half time to the cork men, but the law had young duffy sent off.
Hard luck to all involved, they've done the county proud, and they will be back to compete at this stage in the future.

FermGael

How did McDermott stay on today??
He gave Finlay the freedom of Brewster park today. 

We had no midfield today at all.  Both Sherry and O'Brien were disappointing today in the primary job of winning or breaking ball.
SOB scored 2 nice points but he was given a lesson today at midfield.
Goan and Lyons played well at the back and Jones recovered well after a doggy first 15.
Upfront Ferris showed abit and Ryder was not bad in the first half.  Tired in the second.
Eamonn was well marshalled and Lyttle was disappointing and his man scored 1-2.

we will do well to stay up.  These new rules do not suit us and McGrath, Owens, Murphy and McCluskey are a huge loss.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

FermPundit

I was just saying in the NFL division 2 thread that today showed the real lack of strength in depth we have at the moment. In the final 20 minutes today we had such an inexperienced team. Jones, Kille, Ryder, O'Brien, Foy, Ferris and Daryl Keenan where all making their national league debuts today. There was no way we were going to peg back a strong Monaghan team. I wouldn't be too critical of anyone today though. Malachy O'Rourke is planning for the future by blooding these talented but young players in the senior squad. It might take time but we must be patient. If we avoid relegation this year it will be a massive achievement. Its essential that we get senior players like McCluksey and McGrath back as soon as possible.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

FermGael

agree and disagree FermPundit.
Monaghan did not have a full team on today.
Woods and D Freeman came of the bench along with a few other players who would have started last year.
They played very well today and looked to KICK a ball 30 yards.  There players are comfortable kick passing the ball and running with it.
We are not confident with our kick passing and always look for the short fist pass. 
We were easy to defend against today because Monaghan just dropped men back, invited us to shoot from 30 yards +
and when the attack broke down they hit us at pace and then gave a good ball into the full forward line or hit good cross field passes.
They had variation in there tactics

From the sounds of it, McGrath and Owens are going to be out for a while.  Clucker has other commitments with the soccer from what i heard today
and Murphy is in Oz for a another while yet.  That is the best we have.  Maybe Ciaran Reilly to throw in but he will not solve the midfield sector.
Shane O'Brien has potential but he is a bit light for midfield yet.  How many time did Clerkin out muscle him when they were competing for a kickout.
Where was Carson today??  We needed his physical presence in midfield.  He played most of the Mckenna cup but did  not feature today.  Is he off the panel?

I hate to go on about it but Finlay destroyed McDermott today.  He should have been switched off him but he was not.  We then moved him into midfield
and guess what Monaghan did??  Moved Finlay to midfield where he scored the point that secured the game after Fermanagh had got within touching distance.
Surly Lyons would be a better man at CHB and drop McDermott back to Full back where he did a good job last year. 

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

FermPundit

I actually thought McDermott improved when he went to midfield today. Yes, Finlay dominated here again but we really no other options at centre field. Carson is still included in the squad but wasn't available for selection today. Anyway, Carson isn't fit enough for midfield. O'Rourke tried him there in the McKenna cup and he struggled badly. Unfortunately the bad habits from last season where still present today. The inability to score from distance and hit long passes meant that Monaghan were able to nullify most of our attacks quite easily. Despite the defeat today, the lads derserve credit for fighting for the whole game. Monaghan are one of the best teams in this division, so this was always going to be a difficult game to start the league campaign. I saw enough today to be optimistic about the rest of the year. We're not that far away. If we can get some of the senior lads back in the next few weeks we have every chance of staying in this division. Its going to be a challenge but we just have to get our heads down, work hard and do our best in the remaining 6 games.

ExiledGael

FERMANAGH SENIOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
ROUND 1:
LISNASKEA v. BROOKEBOROUGH
BELCOO v. ENNISKILLEN
ROSLEA v. TEEMORE
ST PATRICKS v. ERNE GAELS
QUARTER FINALS:
BELCOO/ENNISKILLEN v. DEVENISH
ST PATRICKS/ERNE GAELS v. ROSLEA/TEEMORE
LISNASKEA/BROOKEBOROUGH v. NEWTOWNBUTLER
DERRYGONNELLY v. TEMPO
INTERMEDIATE CHAMPIONSHIP
QUARTER FINALS :
KINAWLEY v. AUGHADRUMSEE
IRVINESTOWN v. ST JOSEPHS
SEMI-FINALS:
COA v. IRVINESTOWN/ST JOSEPHS
KINAWLEY/AUGHADRUMSEE v. DERRYLIN
JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL
MAGUIRESBRIDGGE v. BELNALECK

Surprised no-one posted this, sorry for the capitals it's taken from Hoganstand.

Caid

Quote from: FermGael on February 01, 2009, 10:38:37 PM
Woods and D Freeman came of the bench

From what I read on the Monaghan message boards Damian Freeman is a spent force and is unlikely to feature much this year, whilst Woods is heavy but granted will improve as the year goes on

Division 2 will be a battle.  Murphy is the big loss at the minute.  We could probably survive without any of the others apart from him and Marty.  Indeed if Sherry could've stepped up to the plate then we could have moulded Womble into the Full Forward that we were so lacking last year....

What about Niall Leonard? No sign of him getting a run out in the full back line?  Put him FB and Lyons CHB?
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

FermPundit

Quote from: Caid on February 05, 2009, 10:42:28 PM

From what I read on the Monaghan message boards Damian Freeman is a spent force and is unlikely to feature much this year, whilst Woods is heavy but granted will improve as the year goes on

Division 2 will be a battle.  Murphy is the big loss at the minute.  We could probably survive without any of the others apart from him and Marty.  Indeed if Sherry could've stepped up to the plate then we could have moulded Womble into the Full Forward that we were so lacking last year....

What about Niall Leonard? No sign of him getting a run out in the full back line?  Put him FB and Lyons CHB?

Yeah, I would have Leonard in my squad but he didn't appear to impress Malachy in the trials before Christmas. When Clucker is back in the squad, he'll go to CHB. I'm actually happy with Lyons at FB. He had a decent game on Sunday. Young Niall McGovern has been getting rave reviews this year playing for QUB as well, but this is probably a long term option only. Given our limitations at centre field is there a possibility that Barry Owens could play here with Marty later in the year, provided he's back to full fitness?

inisceithleann

Quote from: FermPundit on February 05, 2009, 11:17:35 PM
Quote from: Caid on February 05, 2009, 10:42:28 PM

Yeah, I would have Leonard in my squad but he didn't appear to impress Malachy in the trials before Christmas. When Clucker is back in the squad, he'll go to CHB. I'm actually happy with Lyons at FB. He had a decent game on Sunday. Young Niall McGovern has been getting rave reviews this year playing for QUB as well, but this is probably a long term option only. Given our limitations at centre field is there a possibility that Barry Owens could play here with Marty later in the year, provided he's back to full fitness?

I think Owens could defiently play midfield, but it would depend on his fitness though. Shane Lyons is best suited to CHB, so I'd say in the Championship, McDermott will play full back.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Erne Man

Think I saw enough to give me a bit of optimism for the summer - we were badly beaten up in the middle of the field - but when we consider that we were missing 4 key men in McGrath, Murphy, Mccluskey and Ciaran McElroy from this area we were always going to struggle.
I would love to see Barry playing midfield later on in the year, but as has been said above it will depend on his fitness. O'Brien will be a great option in the half forward line - plenty of drive and decent strength, and an eye for a score or two which is something we badly need. If Ryder proves himself playing in Division 2 and can get fitter and sharper as the league goes on, I have seen enough from him to suggest he can do a job in the championship. He has great vision and showed some decent touches - on a different day we could have had another goal or two off some of his flicks.
I was disappointed with James Sherry on sunday - I don't know whether he is a realistic option any more come championship - hence the need for Barry in midfield. Agree that Lyons should be given a run in the half back line through the league - CLucker will man no. 6 when he returns, but Lyons could be a useful option in the halfback line.
Little and Keenan were well off the pace on sunday - but hopefully that is only shortterm.
If we could go to Navan and get 2pts off a Meath team who appear to be in disarray it would be a huge result - we then have 3 weeks before the next game to get a few of the injuries cleared up, and maybe give Malachy a few more options before we head to Cork.

Caid

Inspired by some of the threads on the main board, I had a discussion via email today with one of my friends regarding Fermanagh's best XV over the past 15 or 20 years.  I relay it here for comments/criticism:

My XV

McAdam

McGuinness      Owens           Goan

Johnston        McCluskey       K Gallagher

McGrath               Brewster

M Little                Rory G          T Brewster

Ray G           S Maguire       E Maguire
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Caid

My mate's XV and my response:

Fermanagh's best team of last 10-15 years

Christopher Breen

Paddy McGuinness

Barry Owens

Paul Courtney

Shane McDermott

Ryan McCluskey

Tommy McElroy

Paul Brewster

Martin McGrath

Shane King

Rory Gallagher

Mark Little

Raymond Gallagher

Stephen Maguire

Eamon Maguire

How the hell can you pick McDermott?! He's been one of Fermanagh's worst players in many games over the years - never reproduces his St Pats form.

Also, Tommy McElroy, a telling contribution over the last few years granted, but selection over Raymie Johnston? Arguably Fermanagh's most consistent performer over the last ten years?  That is akin to selecting Rafael at right back in a Man U XI over the last ten years ahead of Gary Neville!

ExiledGael

Interesting one and it's hard to ever come to agreement, suppose that's the whole point of it.
Cormac McAdam would have to get the keeper spot. From your initial team Goan I suppose would be a little fortunate but I'm not old enough to offer many viable alternatives, Collie Curran maybe unlucky around midfield but it's hard to argue with Marty and Paul Brewster. Certs would have to be McAdam, Paddy McGuinness, Barry Owens, Clucker, Marty, Little, Eamon, both Gallaghers and big Stevie. That's talking of the last 10/15 years though really but this is to determine the best Fermanagh team ever.
McGinnity obviously takes his place in that, Tommy Durnien too from the older generations I know of.

FermPundit

Good debate this. The team named by Caid has everyone you would expect. The only other players you could possibly include would be Shane King, Mickey Lilly, Ciaran Campbell, JJ Treacy. You really could go on all day naming players who deserve a starting position. What would be more difficult is naming the greatest ever Fermanagh player. Now that would cause a few arguments!! In my opinion, I think you would have to go for Peter McGinnity as best all round player. Raymie Gallagher is the best forward and Paddy McGuinness/Barry Owens would be the best defender.

Caid

Paddy McGuinness was an excellent football and servant of Fermanagh football.  But Barry Owens is considered by many across the length and breadth of the country to be the best full back in the land.  The only time we ever had a player talked about in a similar breath was McGinnity.  As a result these two would have to be numbers one and two.