Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

tintin25

Saw the 2nd half....poor enough showing.  Ryder took his goal well and also scored a nice point from play in the first half.  It was pretty scrappy in the 2nd half from what I seen, so difficult to pick any players of note out, but for me, Ryder and Carson would appear to be the best out of the newcomers.

orangeman

Ryder looks handy - saying that the Donegal no. 3 gave him too much room. But he took his goal well and could be one for the future alright.

FermGael

Just back from BallyShannon there now.
Very poor game played in very bad conditions.
From a Fermanagh perspective the positives were Shane Lyons at full back and Paul Johnston at corner back.
Midfield was disappointing but they were up against a very strong and experienced Donegal midfield.
Still think Carson would make a great full forward or center half forward. He hit one or two lovely passes.
Up front Ryder did well when they got the ball into him.  He looks like he could be a rough diamond but as somebody else pointed out,
the Donegal full back was not the best. 
Killie did well in the corner and hit a couple of very nice frees.  Just needs to back himself more often.

Do not think Fermanagh were to annoyed about the game.  I think O'Rourke would prefer to get them at hard training for the next month or so
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Slapdash

Donegal full back was Eamon McGee, who I have witnessed curbing Stevie McDonnell quite effectively in the past.  Whilst he is probably not Donegal's first choice for full back, he is certainly not a bad player and is better than a lot of full backs across the country. 

FermPundit

I never get too concerned about the results of any McKenna cup games. Given the weather today and the fact Fermanagh have only been training for the last two weeks, I thought they put in a solid performance. Ryan Carson played well in patches but he definately isn't a midfielder. His best positon would be full forward or centre half forward. He doesn't have the mobility for centre field. Seamus Ryder showed well today. He took his goal really well and as FermGael has mentioned he is a bit of a rough diamond. With good coaching over the next few months, he grow into that full forward position. Paul Johnston played well today and Michael Jones and Rory Foy put in a decent performances against Derry last weekend. Any ideas on team O'Rourke will put out on Wednesday night against Jordanstown?
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Fermanaghandsam

If we can get even 2 new players from these games i think they will be considered very useful. I feel ryder with a bit of work could make a decent full forward, but he needs to play alot of the league games to build up experience of playin at this level. Foy and Jones will also put Sherry under alot of pressure for the corner back spot. Blobby could make an impact but currently seems very unfit so until this fitness level is built up it is hard to judge. Cecil seems to lack confidence at the minute at this level but he has shown me enough glimes of what he can do to make me think he has a chance of making it. Outside these however I dont think any of the other new players will make any impact this year anyhow.

ExiledGael

Anyone in Brewster last night? Sounds like a decent result. Was Gallagher really lobbed from 30 yards? Was gonna happen some time I suppose, best now. Did Ferris do enough to keep his place in the NFL panel? Jones and Foy must have also impressed judging by the papers.

118cmal

Raymie Johnston, Niall Leonard, Paul Ward and James Connolly dropped from the squad.  A little harsh after a few McKenna cup games?  Had high hopes for Ward myself, he was very good for Derrygonnelly last year. 

Would I be right in thinking that Niall McGovern is the only university player with any chance of coming into the squad??

Tempoman

Just want to wish all the lisbellaw hurlers all the best for sundays all-ireland semi final against Dripsey.
Its some achievment for the hurlers to get this far, and only one match away from being the first fermanagh club to play in croke park!!
Come on the law!!!!!!

FermPundit

Quote from: 118cmal on January 20, 2009, 12:04:45 PM
Raymie Johnston, Niall Leonard, Paul Ward and James Connolly dropped from the squad.  A little harsh after a few McKenna cup games?  Had high hopes for Ward myself, he was very good for Derrygonnelly last year. 

Would I be right in thinking that Niall McGovern is the only university player with any chance of coming into the squad??

I was sad to hear that Raymie Johnston had been dropped frm the squad. He has been a great servant to Fermanagh football over the years but I suppose its the right decision by Malachy with regards planning for the future. I wasn't that surpirsed to hear that Ward or Connolly didn't make the cut. Both are decent club players but neither has been able to replicate that form at county when given the opportunity.

I think Kieran (Jimmy) Leonard might also be on the Queens squad this year. He's a decent footballer and he could be drafted into the squad after the McKenna cup.

Quote from: Tempoman on January 20, 2009, 02:14:01 PM
Just want to wish all the lisbellaw hurlers all the best for sundays all-ireland semi final against Dripsey.
Its some achievment for the hurlers to get this far, and only one match away from being the first fermanagh club to play in croke park!!
Come on the law!!!!!!

Yep, good luck to Lisbellaw at the weekend. Let's hope they do the county proud.

wanderer

"Niall McGovern - One to watch

By Ciaran Woods

c.woods@gaeliclife.com

His Queen's manager rates him as one of the best around, and Fermanagh county players have backed him to be part of their squad this summer. So who is the Fermanagh man who is grabbing so much attention in the QUB rearguard?

Belcoo's Niall McGovern has enjoyed a rapid rise to prominence over recent weeks, making the Queen's number three shirt his own. This Sunday he will put the shackles on Armagh's Ronan Clarke in the McKenna Cup, having already turned in an impressive display against Cavan last weekend. He's tipped for the very top by all those who have worked with him, and it seems almost a certainty that he will be a senior inter-county player before too long.

As a man who has been there and done that at the very highest level, including picking up an All-Ireland winners medal, Queen's boss O'Rourke is well placed to run the rule over the Belcoo man, and he is in no doubt about his capabilities.

"To me, he's a starting inter-county full-back, it's as simple as that. He's a top quality player."

McGovern has exploded onto the colleges scene this season, starring in each of Queens' Ryan Cup ties and has followed that up with an impressive start in the McKenna Cup against Cavan last Saturday night. Although admitting that he knew nothing of the player, O'Rourke says he has now firmly cemented his position at the heart of the Queen's defence.

"To be honest, I didn't know anything about the lad until he arrived at trials at the start of the year. Nobody at Queen's knew anything about him, and then this big lad showed up and was brilliant, right from day one.

"He went in for the first Ryan Cup game and hasn't looked back. We'd put him in at corner-back because we knew nothing about him, with Luke Howard at full-back. But he quickly made the move to full-back for us and he's been fantastic."

Like his Queen's boss, McGovern is a commanding figure in the back line. He gives his opponents few chances, and O'Rourke is impressed with what he has seen so far.

"He's very fast, and he's got great hands. Teams don't tend to test you too much in the air, but any time a high ball goes in, he comes out with it. He's got a great head on him, technically a very good tackler. A big focus of our game is how we play defensively, and he attacks the ball well when the time is right and gets in the right positions when it's not."

This Sunday, McGovern will again line out in the number three shirt for Queen's, and the Fermanagh man faces up to one of the toughest tests possible in the form of Armagh's Ronan Clarke. O'Rourke has played alongside and against Clarke enough times to appreciate his quality, and believes that it's the perfect test for the rookie full-back as he continues to build towards the Sigerson Cup and what he believes will be a summer in Fermanagh colours for McGovern.

"Sunday will be a massive test for him, and if he can handle Ronan Clarke, who is probably the best full-forward in the country, then the signs are good for what he can achieve.

"I'm sure that Fermanagh are keeping an eye on him and that they're aware of what he's doing. I think it's only a matter of time before you see him in Fermanagh senior colours."

What makes McGovern's rise to prominence all the more impressive is the fact that he has only just bounced back from a potentially career-threatening injury. In 2007 he played just two league games for the Belcoo club before damaging his cruciate ligament, causing him to miss the remainder of the 2007 season and returned in time for the 2008 campaign.

John Joe Stewart was manager of the Belcoo minors who, including McGovern, claimed the league and championship title. He went on to take charge of the club senior side, delivering the league title in 2007. Although McGovern missed that season through injury, he saw enough of the defender to know his capabilities and his versatility.

"He was impressive all year for the seniors. His preferred position I would say is centre-half, that's where I would have planned to play him. In the middle of the season we had to put him to full-back because our full-back got injured, but he moved back out the field for the rest of the year again."

"He's a lad who if he does get a chance then he'll grab it with both hands. He dedicates himself to his football and to his training. He doesn't mess around, and when he was out injured he put in serious hard work to get himself back.

"He's a player you'd definitely look forward to seeing more of in the future. I think that if he can keep himself injury-free and can keep on improving, then he's got a very bright future ahead of him."

McGovern's leadership qualities certainly cannot be questioned. Before making the move to Queen's, he was joint captain of the St Michael's Enniskillen MacRory Cup side. He has been a key player throughout his club career, and those who play alongside him are glowing in their praise of the defender.

One such colleague is Fermanagh's attacking ace Shane McCabe. A Belcoo club colleague, McCabe admits that running into McGovern is a daunting experience for any forward, the defender having worked hard to ensure that he's in the best possible condition for the challenges he faces.

"He's got tremendous strength. I'd have went up against him in training a few times, and he's the wrong boy to be running into! He reminds me very much of Barry Owens. He's very strong and powerful on the ball, and once he has possession he's not going to be knocked off the ball.

"He knows his own limitations. If he feels that he's not going to distribute it well enough, then he'll play a simple pass and offload it to one of his team-mates.

"He missed out for us when we won the league title, and he was sorely missed. I think he showed last season that he's a very good player, he's back in the fold and I think he's got a very big season ahead of him."

McCabe was part of the Fermanagh squad which took on Armagh in last year's Ulster final, and he knows just how tough of opponents the Orchard men are. It's never easy lining out against the likes of Ronan Clarke, especially when you're a relative newcomer to the scene as McGovern is, but McCabe is backing his clubmate to handle anything that is thrown at him, and emerge as a better player as a result.

"Those are the type of challenges you want. He's come strong again since his injury, and games against inter-county teams like Cavan and especially Armagh are what will bring him on as a player. They will add to his experience, and I think he'll be a much better player with a more complete game as a result."

McGovern will certainly be part of boss Darren Chapman's plans for the Fermanagh Under-21's in the coming months, but McCabe firmly believes that come championship time the defender will also find himself as part of the Fermanagh senior set-up. And if Malachy O'Rourke needs the Belcoo man's phone number to invite him into the panel, then McCabe will be only too happy to oblige.

"One thing about Fermanagh, because of the size of the county, is that you have to get your best players in. Malachy will be up to date with how Niall is getting on with Queen's. He's got the ability and the mentality, he's got the whole package there and I'm sure we'll soon be seeing him lining out with Fermanagh."

PULL QUOTE

"He's got tremendous strength. I'd have went up against him in training a few times, and he's the wrong boy to be running into! He reminds me very much of Barry Owens. He's very strong and powerful on the ball, and once he has possession he's not going to be knocked off the ball.
"

haranguerer

great, just what we need, a full-back...

FermPundit

The Impartial Reporter have recently updated their website and I must say its first class. Its very much appreciated by those of us who don't live down at home.

As always, their GAA coverage continues to be impressive

http://www.impartialreporter.com/plus/

ExiledGael

Anyone hear the Lisbellaw result?
John Mitchell's Liverpool won with a few Fermanagh men in tow.

inisceithleann

Quote from: ExiledGael on January 25, 2009, 05:37:06 PM
Anyone hear the Lisbellaw result?
John Mitchell's Liverpool won with a few Fermanagh men in tow.

Yeah, great results for the Merseysiders. Paul Melanaphy (Kinawley) and John McDermott (Brookeboro) are part of the squad. Didn't hear how Lisbellaw got on yet.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth