Favourite Pub in Ireland

Started by toby47, April 28, 2023, 09:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

You walk into a pub, what's your first drink?

A stout
A pint of beer
A Cider
A wee one (Whisky, Gin, Vodka etc)
Bottle of beer
Other

redhandloo

That was a great read. He died of cancer shortly afterwards if I recall correctly.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!

pbat

Quote from: redhandloo on April 29, 2023, 12:19:45 PM
That was a great read. He died of cancer shortly afterwards if I recall correctly.

Was he the same lad that wrote "Around Ireland with a Fridge"?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: pbat on April 29, 2023, 01:48:29 PM

Was he the same lad that wrote "Around Ireland with a Fridge"?
No, that was Tony Hawks (not the skateboard guy). MccCarthy's Bar is very funny. The Road To McCarthy is the 2nd one.

snoopdog

Quote from: PMG1 on April 29, 2023, 12:55:57 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on April 28, 2023, 02:39:07 PM
Some great pubs mentioned here. Old Tom's in castlewellan and Lowry in hilltown.  Bowes is good, careful though you could drown in the urinal. Gravediggers in glasnevin is magnificent
You won't get a better pint in Dublin. Forget mulligans.  Special mention to 2 gems in Sligo. Hopkins in Enniscrone and Austies in Rosses point. Guinness doesn't get better.  Packies in Donegal. I haven't a clue where it is though. I was driven to it by a local. The owner a lovely man serves a magnificent pint.
Is that Packies in Lettermacaward (basically old house in the middle of nowhere? Great spot
Thats it I think. Great wee bar. We could see Jim McGuinness house in the distance. We'll that's what Packie told us.

AustinPowers

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 29, 2023, 11:53:18 AM
There's a travel book called McCarthys bar, think there's two if I can remember right, but the first one is about this guy hitting all the McCarthy pubs in Ireland. So it's on my list one day with my Cuz to do.

There's one in Dingle that I had to go in, lovely Guinness if I can recall

McCarthy's Bar is  the best book I've ever  read. Absolutely loved it.  Written in 2000,  Pete McCarthy died in 2004.  The second book is excellent as well.

The front cover featured  McCarthys bar in Castletownbeare, and apparently  loads of people still  stop there because of the book .  Never got there yet , but hopefully someday.

markl121

As mentioned earlier the Harbour bar in Downings is my favourite. Best in winter where there's only a few there and a turf fire but I do enjoy it in summer too. The steaks in the singing pub in Downings are unreal too, not much of a pub these days though as opposed to full blown restaurant.
Heading down to Kerry in June, I want to stop in the South Pole inn opened by tom Crean, just for the history alone. Has anyone been?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: markl121 on April 30, 2023, 02:23:24 PM
As mentioned earlier the Harbour bar in Downings is my favourite. Best in winter where there's only a few there and a turf fire but I do enjoy it in summer too. The steaks in the singing pub in Downings are unreal too, not much of a pub these days though as opposed to full blown restaurant.
Heading down to Kerry in June, I want to stop in the South Pole inn opened by tom Crean, just for the history alone. Has anyone been?

Been, great wee pub with good food, near Inch beach which is a great spot to go slso
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AustinPowers

Quote from: markl121 on April 30, 2023, 02:23:24 PM

Yes, been to  the North Pole.  Nice spot.  Great photos  and history  on its  walls. Good  food too from what I recall

JoG2

Nancy's in Ardara been mentioned? Great pub, they have a local cider on tap too which is lovely, it's strong enough so tread carefully

Conways in Ramelton is a class wee drinking bar too. The Guinness is excellent. The Bridge Bar in Ramelton is a good spot too if anyone is that area and fancy a crawl, good music most nights

bannside

Love Ardara, and Nancy's is a must....but the Corner Bar is the place for me there, Guinness to die for. The wee cafe on the main street does nicest battered cod ever too, two of life's greatest pleasures!

Is the restaurant with Tom Cream memorabilia not in Kenmare town?

tyrone08

Belfast-Duke of York, Kelly's cellar, brittles, morning star.

Downings /dunfanaghy-Harbour bar, singing pub, patsy Dan's.

Killybegs-fleet Inn, Harbour Bar and rusty mackerel.

Athlone-Sean's

Sligo- thomas Connollys

A few of top of my head lol