Bronx Grant

Started by Baile Brigín 2, March 15, 2023, 10:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on March 15, 2023, 11:20:30 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 15, 2023, 10:53:06 PM
I've no interest at all in the GAA growing globally. I would like its entire focus to be in Ireland.

Am I alone in thinking this?

They have been at the US thing since the "American Invasion" of 1888, but have little to show for it. Having New York and London in the "All Ireland" competitions is a distraction.

Incorrect on a number of levels.

Gaelic games were played in the states since before the GAA existed, to say nothing of the American Invasion.

Today 1 in 5 GAA members are based outside of Ireland. There are about 450 clubs outside of Ireland, and they're increasingly appearing in places where there's no tradition of large scale Irish migration, some clubs started by people with no connection to Ireland. The growth of Gaelic football in Brittany and Galicia is remarkable, driven pretty much exclusively by French and Spanish people who are keen to carve out a distinctive identity for their respective regions. In 2003 there were two GAA clubs in Brittany and one in Paris. Now there are nine clubs in Brittany (where Gaelic football is now part of the school curriculum) and 25 in France.

The youth movement is going from strength to strength. The biggest GAA youth tournament in the world is the North American Continental Youth Championship that has grown to a 4-day event attended by 2,500 kids and their families.

There's plenty to show for it.

Eamonnca1

I've no interest at all in the GAA growing globally. I would like its entire focus to be in Ireland.

I could not disagree more with this.

It was okay for the English to spread their sports to so many corners of the Earth that they became global standards. What's wrong with sharing Gaelic games with the rest of the world? What's wrong with welcoming people into the GAA from all backgrounds no matter where in the world they live? What's wrong with such a positive and genuine expression of Irish culture? What's wrong with building networks for emigrants? What's wrong with forging links with communities around the world?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 15, 2023, 11:04:46 PM

This isn't a sports grant, at least not officially. The controversy seems to be that the NY county board sold the place in 1991 so we are handing 500k over to a private college. Looks like bar facilities rather than a stand.

There will be war if the capital grants are cut but there is money for this

GP already has a stand. Last time I was there the clubroom was looking a bit old and tired. Could use a makeover.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 16, 2023, 06:14:25 PM
Grant for something else but Gaelic Park could do with a new pitch, must be the only pitch in the Inter County championship that has astro turf?

It has to host lacrosse, rugby, soccer, and softball as well as Gaelic games. I'm no expert but I don't know if a natural grass surface would take the pounding if it were in frequent use, or maybe astroturf is cheaper to maintain.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 16, 2023, 09:38:08 PM

I could not disagree more with this.

It was okay for the English to spread their sports to so many corners of the Earth that they became global standards. What's wrong with sharing Gaelic games with the rest of the world? What's wrong with welcoming people into the GAA from all backgrounds no matter where in the world they live? What's wrong with such a positive and genuine expression of Irish culture? What's wrong with building networks for emigrants? What's wrong with forging links with communities around the world?

Sin é! We're no Little Irelanders, Little Englanders is more than enough for one group of Isles.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...