Feigning Injuries

Started by mrdeeds, March 06, 2023, 12:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 07, 2023, 01:21:02 PM
Quote from: befair on March 06, 2023, 10:00:27 PM
Tyrone introduced diving/feigning injury in the 2000s, but as it's proven to be effective, there's been a culture change, and every team is at it, even at club level. Impossible for a ref to determine if an injury if being feigned, even if they have a MRI in their pocket.
And there are other consequences; with so many faked injuries, identifying the real one becomes more difficult

Lol what a load of nonsense. That team was known for its intensity, running after a ball like your life depended on it. It did not introduce feigning injury into GAA   :o

they were good at it tho

Wildweasel74

Brian McGuigan not go down like a bag of crap after poor Greg levelled him with a throw ball??

yellowcard

Tyrone introduced diving/feigning injury in the 2000s, but as it's proven to be effective, there's been a culture change, and every team is at it, even at club level. Impossible for a ref to determine if an injury if being feigned, even if they have a MRI in their pocket.
And there are other consequences; with so many faked injuries, identifying the real one becomes more difficult

Lol what a load of nonsense. That team was known for its intensity, running after a ball like your life depended on it. It did not introduce feigning injury into GAA   :o

I wouldn't necessarily agree that they introduced it but they were the first team who tolerated a win at all costs mentality. Whether that was sledging, feigning injury or gamesmanship that Tyrone team under Mickey Harte had a win at all costs mentality which still pervades to this day. Players like Jordan, McGuigan, Cavanagh and McCann feigned injury in high profile games before yet the practice never disappeared. While players have to take personal responsibility, it can be easily eradicated by management ensuring that it doesn't become part of the culture. Kieran McGeeney for example would not tolerate a diving culture as it would be anathema to what he believes in. 

CK_Redhand

For player safety I think all injuries on the field should be treated as real and the game should be stopped for head injuries.

If the ref suspects feigning injury he could make a note of it in his book. If there is corroborating tv evidence then the player should be banned for x days/matches.

tyrone08

Quote from: yellowcard on March 07, 2023, 01:55:19 PM

I wouldn't necessarily agree that they introduced it but they were the first team who tolerated a win at all costs mentality. Whether that was sledging, feigning injury or gamesmanship that Tyrone team under Mickey Harte had a win at all costs mentality which still pervades to this day. Players like Jordan, McGuigan, Cavanagh and McCann feigned injury in high profile games before yet the practice never disappeared. While players have to take personal responsibility, it can be easily eradicated by management ensuring that it doesn't become part of the culture. Kieran McGeeney for example would not tolerate a diving culture as it would be anathema to what he believes in.

Would exactly be using mcgeeney as a good reference point given the amount of rows his team got involved in and how they tackle the man first ball second.

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: CK_Redhand on March 07, 2023, 01:59:58 PM
For player safety I think all injuries on the field should be treated as real and the game should be stopped for head injuries.

If the ref suspects feigning injury he could make a note of it in his book. If there is corroborating tv evidence then the player should be banned for x days/matches.

Still unprovable in that scenario.

CK_Redhand

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on March 07, 2023, 02:57:34 PM

Of course not all incodents will be provable. Cases where no contact is made but player reigns injury should be straight forward. Also cases where say contact is made to the chest but player holds his head.

Milltown Row2

The best is to allow the medic to come on and play on, he'll soon get up when his team hasn't the ball or hasn't won a free
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cavan19

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 07, 2023, 03:07:09 PM

The best is to allow the medic to come on and play on, he'll soon get up when his team hasn't the ball or hasn't won a free

QuoteGuys, I'm not going to take responsibility on getting a call wrong on fake or real injury, and playing on that may result in someone swallowing  his tongue from falling to the ground or impact from a fair shoulder charge. It's not a professional sport, it's a passionate sporting pastime, lets put that into perspective.

You changed your view in the last few hours !

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Cavan19 on March 07, 2023, 03:12:57 PM

QuoteGuys, I'm not going to take responsibility on getting a call wrong on fake or real injury, and playing on that may result in someone swallowing  his tongue from falling to the ground or impact from a fair shoulder charge. It's not a professional sport, it's a passionate sporting pastime, lets put that into perspective.

The medic is on looking after the player, the game plays on, I'm not a doctor so me stopping it has no bearing on how he's being looked after by the professional, if he's actually injured he's in good hands
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cavan19

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 07, 2023, 03:18:56 PM

The medic is on looking after the player, the game plays on, I'm not a doctor so me stopping it has no bearing on how he's being looked after by the professional, if he's actually injured he's in good hands

True but you changed your tune from earlier but playing on is the best way to try and eradicate it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Cavan19 on March 07, 2023, 03:22:26 PM

True but you changed your tune from earlier but playing on is the best way to try and eradicate it.

Not really, I've amended my view in that I can't decide if the player is actually injured, the medic (if he actually is one lol) is best for that, playing on won't really interfere with play, rugby manage to do it for periods in the game.

So for me this is the best solution from all the others that have been put out  ;)

PS. I'm a ref, I'm never wrong  ;D

CK_Redhand

Amend definition:
make minor changes to (a text, piece of legislation, etc.)...

Cavan19

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 07, 2023, 03:26:24 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on March 07, 2023, 03:22:26 PM

Not really, I've amended my view in that I can't decide if the player is actually injured, the medic (if he actually is one lol) is best for that, playing on won't really interfere with play, rugby manage to do it for periods in the game.

So for me this is the best solution from all the others that have been put out  ;)

PS. I'm a ref, I'm never wrong  ;D
Except when your not right !  :)

LeoMc

Quote from: yellowcard on March 07, 2023, 01:55:19 PM

Would he tolerate it from Ethan Rafferty?