Most likely provincial finalists

Started by seafoid, March 02, 2023, 09:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreadnought

Quote from: seafoid on March 02, 2023, 05:54:17 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on March 02, 2023, 05:49:00 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 02, 2023, 05:31:42 PM
Cavan have only themselves to blame if they aren't in the Sam Maguire group stage. Fell to Division four when they should be at the very least a Division two team and wasted their opportunity by not winning the Tailteann cup.

Way to miss the point that I was trying to make

And remember we had that joke Covid league split on geography in the middle of that. Could easily have been up to Div2 with a proper league and not that setup based off 3 games
That league was awful.

It really was. It was a nonsensical layout, split on such arbitrary lines. And some were affected more than others. We were grouped with Derry and Fermanagh, while there was a harsher lockdown in the South. They were out doing group training and playing challenges something like 4 weeks ahead of the other 2 teams when the North allowed opening sooner.

Should have been a better solution that deciding placings on 3 group games

Captain Obvious

Cavan have only themselves to blame if they aren't in the Sam Maguire group stage. Fell to Division four when they should be at the very least a Division two team and wasted their opportunity by not winning the Tailteann cup.

And remember we had that joke Covid league split on geography in the middle of that. Could easily have been up to Div2 with a proper league and not that setup based off 3 games

Covid league is a excuse.  Could have avoided relegation to Div 3 in 2020 by beating or drawing with Roscommon at home who was missing half their team due to covid. Then somehow allowed themselves to drop to Division four by losing to Wicklow in the play off.

This is Clare's eighth year in a row in Division 2 doing what at a minimum Cavan should be doing.

seafoid

Quote from: Solo_run on March 02, 2023, 05:50:27 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on March 02, 2023, 01:29:02 PM
is their a scenario where say tyrone dont make sam maguire group stages.

A very unlikely scenario but it is possible Tyrone do not make the AI.

A D1 or high ranked D2 must not feature in the Ulster final/Leinster final or Munster. If the below provincial finals or equivalent played out Tyrone would not be in the AI.

Mayo vs Sligo
Tipperary vs Cork/Clare
Cavan vs Fermanagh
Kildare vs Louth

Westmeath are already there.

Based on current league standing

Mayo - Their ranking is irrelevant as they would be in the provincial final. Same could happen for Galway or Roscommon.
1. Roscommon
2. Kerry
3. Galway
4. Monaghan
5. Armagh
6. Derry
7. Dublin
---------------------
8. Donegal
9. Tyrone

If Tyrone were relegated from D1 at the bottom of the league they would replace the 2nd placed teams in D2 ranking making them the 9th ranked team where Mayo are omitted because they are in the final.
Has such a scenario ever happened in the last 50 years ?
Covid in 2020 had 2 D3 winners in Cavan and Tipp but Dublin won Leinster and Mayo won Connacht.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

twohands!!!

I think the fact that the provincial losers are going into the group stages as the second seed is a mistake.

To me it feels like the reward for getting to a provincial final is far too high compared to the difficulty of being one of the top 4 league sides (after the 8 provincial sides are taken out)

I think it would make far more sense to have the four provincial losers as the third seeds.

If the provincial losers remain second seeds, I think you will end up with a situation where most of the time the second seeds will end up losing by greater scores to the first seeds than the third seeds.

I think the reason that provincial losers are going to be the second seeds was due to the provincial councils and the size of their voting block.

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 02, 2023, 06:09:45 PM

Covid league is a excuse.  Could have avoided relegation to Div 3 in 2020 by beating or drawing with Roscommon at home who was missing half their team due to covid. Then somehow allowed themselves to drop to Division four by losing to Wicklow in the play off.

This is Clare's eighth year in a row in Division 2 doing what at a minimum Cavan should be doing.
Galway also were relegated to D2 that season after losing to Monaghan la cucaracha . 3 matches was not enough. The allocations were arbitrary. We had Dublin, Kerry and Ros.

seafoid

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 02, 2023, 06:18:47 PM
I think the fact that the provincial losers are going into the group stages as the second seed is a mistake.

To me it feels like the reward for getting to a provincial final is far too high compared to the difficulty of being one of the top 4 league sides (after the 8 provincial sides are taken out)

I think it would make far more sense to have the four provincial losers as the third seeds.

If the provincial losers remain second seeds, I think you will end up with a situation where most of the time the second seeds will end up losing by greater scores to the first seeds than the third seeds.

I think the reason that provincial losers are going to be the second seeds was due to the provincial councils and the size of their voting block.
The GAA are hoors for the provincial championships and all that go with them.

Sportacus

Was chatting to a friend who'd be more the Ulster Rugby type, and he was telling me him and his mates have fairly lost interest in the rugby because the format has changed so much and they could hardly even tell you anymore how the competitions work.
I fear GAA is making the same mistake.  I'm completely lost.

Solo_run

I do not like the new format.

It is crazy that Mayo or Roscommon could win this weekend and choose not to play another game for 10+ weeks when the AI series starts.

Tbf that goes for any of the teams that secure D1 status.

I would prefer having an open draw and setup two divisions with the top 8 from each division going into the AI last 16 and the best ranked provincial teams contest a provincial final. 

Captain Obvious

Quote from: seafoid on March 02, 2023, 06:28:28 PM

Galway also were relegated to D2 that season after losing to Monaghan la cucaracha . 3 matches was not enough. The allocations were arbitrary. We had Dublin, Kerry and Ros.

Losing to Monaghan in Clones one of the toughest places in the league to earn a result is more acceptable than what Cavan did.

Rossfan

Quote from: Sportacus on March 02, 2023, 06:34:26 PM
Was chatting to a friend who'd be more the Ulster Rugby type, and he was telling me him and his mates have fairly lost interest in the rugby because the format has changed so much and they could hardly even tell you anymore how the competitions work.
I fear GAA is making the same mistake.  I'm completely lost.
Everyone else understands it perfectly as no doubt the 90+% of Congress delegates who voted for it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dreadnought

Not an excuse, we still should have stayed up. Doesn't mean it wasn't a ridiculous setup though and was completely lopsided against certain counties from the start. The 2 things can be true

And should be alright. Also got relegated from Div 2 on a high points total that no one since has got relegated on. On a head to head v Clare too on another Covid split league. Clare have certainly done well but got the rub of the green at times too. Didn't they push Cork out of that Covid league on a few points difference, even after Cork beat them? Again, that league was a joke.

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 02, 2023, 06:47:55 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 02, 2023, 06:28:28 PM

Losing to Monaghan in Clones one of the toughest places in the league to earn a result is more acceptable than what Cavan did.
It was very traumatic.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/darragh-o-se-galway-s-defeat-at-the-death-to-monaghan-is-shocking-and-unforgivable-1.4594401
Conroy was having a great game, he was driving Galway on from midfield, really standing out. And then he got involved in a stupid tussle with Hughes over a sideline ball and pulled his ankle from under him for the easiest black card David Gough will ever give. That's one of your leaders taking himself out of the game with relegation on the line. No wonder Joyce didn't want to talk to the media after the game.
As for Duane, he probably didn't feel overly comfortable being the last man back on the edge of the square. But even so, you can't get turned like that so close to goal. At least make Hughes shoot with his bad foot. Duane made such a bad decision that it would actually have been better for Galway if he hadn't moved at all. If he had literally stood still, there was a better chance of Hughes hitting him with the ball. Instead, he opened up the only route to goal.
That was the killer score. But even after it, Galway didn't need to lose the game. They got themselves a point ahead and tackled like demons through the last play of the game to try and turn Monaghan over. And they very nearly got there. But in the end, they allowed Conor McManus to score an equaliser from the middle of the pitch on the edge of the D.
Great players make great plays. All you can do is try to make them have to do something special to beat you. Monaghan have called on McManus countless times over the years to get them out of a hole – would this one even be in his top 20? Once he had possession, all he had to do was cut inside onto his good foot and score from straight in front of the posts.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Solo_run on March 02, 2023, 06:40:21 PM
I do not like the new format.

It is crazy that Mayo or Roscommon could win this weekend and choose not to play another game for 10+ weeks when the AI series starts.

Tbf that goes for any of the teams that secure D1 status.

I would prefer having an open draw and setup two divisions with the top 8 from each division going into the AI last 16 and the best ranked provincial teams contest a provincial final.

My hot take is that the leagues should be reset to the old A and B format, so that they mirror the championships. Redraw Div1 and Div2 into 1A and 1B based on previous year and so on. Have bottom 2 in each 1A and 1B playoff for 2 relegation spots l, top 2 in each 2A and 2B playoff for 2 promotion. It's more equitable, and means each year every team has the chance to go up or down and gain entry to Sam. Could still add the stipulation for Tailteann winner or provincial finalists who didn't go up from the 2 divisions to get into Sam ahead of the relegation playoff winners and so on. Also creates a league with good mixing of the current Div1 and Div2, and Div3 and Div4 teams in each and prevents teams pulling ahead or falling away too much, with ability to move up or down yearly.

Won't happen though. Those in Division 1 like being up there by themselves. For me though, it makes sense to feed properly into the Championship seeing as we're down that linked to League path.