Hurling 2024

Started by seafoid, January 01, 2023, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Limerick just pull away in the second half. With Tipp it was 5 minutes in. With Galway last year it was 10 minutes from the end.
The result is the same.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

The semi-final yesterday lacked any real intensity, very much "excuse me" type hurling, which IMO was down to Corks approach, they never really went at Kilkenny who were comfortable throughout, Collins in the Cork goals kept it respectable. Blanchfield in the halfback line, is growing on me, no messing with him..

Tipp put up a decent showing on Saturday evening considering where they were in the championship last year, the question is can they kick on again come championship as you know Limerick certainly will as they've another few gears yet to go through.
Ominous looking for everyone else come championship.

imtommygunn

I was very impressed by Blanchfield when I saw him up close against Antrim.

Cork were very fired up for someone that didn't go at them tbh. They seem to be trying to do an equivalent of Limerick's short passing game and more often than not pass to a man who is surrounded. I thought they were quite naive.

In saying that too I thought Kilkenny hit too many 50-50 balls into the forwards. The game has evolved from that. They are very good at fighting for it etc but Limerick wouldn't be wasting the amount of balls they did. They still have Reid, Cody and Mullen to come back though I would expect that to improve a lot.

Kidder81

Quote from: johnnycool on March 27, 2023, 08:28:55 AM
The semi-final yesterday lacked any real intensity, very much "excuse me" type hurling, which IMO was down to Corks approach, they never really went at Kilkenny who were comfortable throughout, Collins in the Cork goals kept it respectable. Blanchfield in the halfback line, is growing on me, no messing with him..

Tipp put up a decent showing on Saturday evening considering where they were in the championship last year, the question is can they kick on again come championship as you know Limerick certainly will as they've another few gears yet to go through.

I thought Blanchfield was v good in the league last year a few times I saw KK, of course when the league is over Cody goes back to his old faithfuls & who could argue with him. John Donnelly another player that seems to be revelling since Cody has gone.

seafoid

Cork were very disappointing. OTB have a Cork hurling analyst and she was singing their praises all League.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on March 27, 2023, 08:05:00 PM

Cork were very disappointing. OTB have a Cork hurling analyst and she was singing their praises all League.

I think we're now seeing that because of the close proximity of the championship to the league teams are holding back somewhat, but we'll find out soon enough whose got a kick in them come championship.

In fairness to Cork they've tried a lot of young players as well, the soundings coming out of their camp was that they were going to give the Kilkenny game a real rattle but it was anything but.
Harnedy is proving to be every bit as crucial to them as Horgan and they need a physical type lad in Dalton to show up in the championship as he really hasn't done anything since U21 a few years back.

seafoid

It was a good idea for Galway to take the League handy. Cats 7 points behind. Tipp got blown away. Cork ran out of gas. Not good for confidence.

imtommygunn

This is a wee bit depressing. Limerick are just a mile above everyone else.

marty34

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 09, 2023, 03:25:39 PM

Limerick on a different level.

Theirs to lose again this year.

Getting stronger and stronger.  KK will be disappointed with their low scoring total. Just swamped by Limerick.

seafoid

The time to beat Limerick is in the championship endgame, not the start of April.

north_antrim_hound

This time last year limerick was only starting to get going, this year they seem to have nearly peaked before championship has even started. Will they keep this up for the summer probably but it wouldn't be a complete shock if someone like Tipp ambushed them either.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

seafoid

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 10, 2023, 10:03:08 AM
This time last year limerick was only starting to get going, this year they seem to have nearly peaked before championship has even started. Will they keep this up for the summer probably but it wouldn't be a complete shock if someone like Tipp ambushed them either.
https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2023/0106/1345281-timing-is-everything-calendar-sharpens-january-focus/

"In hurling, more so than football, this time of year there is no similarity to what we see in May, June and July. It's all about trying to get your timing right and not to overdo it in these months, in this weather.
"The pace of the game in the Munster Senior League is probably 25% of championship, in my opinion. The league would be more like 50-75% depending on the stage of it.
"That extra 25% comes once championship starts and pitches are better, everything is faster. Can guys can adapt to that, not just physically but also mentally, in terms of decision-making, instinct and having the character to do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXCh9OhDiCI

imtommygunn

The worrying thing is I am not sure they have peaked. I dunno what gear they were in yesterday but I am not convinced they were full throttle.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 10, 2023, 10:22:02 AM

The worrying thing is I am not sure they have peaked. I dunno what gear they were in yesterday but I am not convinced they were full throttle.
but neither did Kilkenny .

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on April 10, 2023, 09:40:29 AM
The time to beat Limerick is in the championship endgame, not the start of April.

So, that leaves an AI semi-final or final.

I get your logic but on the way there you've a load of hurdles to get over, a bit of luck with injuries, suspensions and the likes, Limerick however seemed to have even more strength in depth to cope with all that better than anyone else.

It would be hard to see the pick of the rest of the other counties in Munster beating them at this stage.

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 09, 2023, 03:25:39 PM

We'd the same when Kilkenny were in their pomp, there were AI finals the game was over after 20 minutes. Enjoy it for what it is, an exceptional team at their finest.