Hurling 2024

Started by seafoid, January 01, 2023, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: johnnycool on April 12, 2023, 12:41:48 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 10, 2023, 09:40:29 AM
The time to beat Limerick is in the championship endgame, not the start of April.

So, that leaves an AI semi-final or final.

I get your logic but on the way there you've a load of hurdles to get over, a bit of luck with injuries, suspensions and the likes, Limerick however seemed to have even more strength in depth to cope with all that better than anyone else.

It would be hard to see the pick of the rest of the other counties in Munster beating them at this stage.

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 09, 2023, 03:25:39 PM
This is a wee bit depressing. Limerick are just a mile above everyone else.

We'd the same when Kilkenny were in their pomp, there were AI finals the game was over after 20 minutes. Enjoy it for what it is, an exceptional team at their finest.

Fixed that for you, they are a total machine. Can vary their style so effectively in game as well as game to game.

Can mix it when required, can close it down when needed and when they open up I don't think there has been a more effective scoring team ever.

mouview

Quote from: marty34 on April 09, 2023, 04:51:55 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 09, 2023, 03:25:39 PM
This is a wee bit depressing. Limerick are just a mile above everyone else.

Limerick on a different level.

Theirs to lose again this year.

Getting stronger and stronger.  KK will be disappointed with their low scoring total. Just swamped by Limerick.

Possibly, but no AI was won in April and this Limerick team have never peaked so soon in the season. All they beat on Sunday was a very mediocre Kilkenny team (under a new manager) who have been masquerading as an effective one for a few seasons now. If nothing else, Limerick's trip through Munster will become more fraught as opposing counties will start wearing timber off them I predict. They're bound to pick up a few injuries, suspensions, lads losing form etc. in their perambulations around the golden vale over the next 7 weeks.

imtommygunn

I agree with the bit about K  but I am not sure about Limerick peaking yet. I do think the KK team aren't fantastic - the FB was left hung out to dry on Flanagan and tbh so were the entire full back line but more cover should have been provided or changes should have been made. I dunno why that wasn't done.

Limerick will probably have bigger challenges but for me they are half a dozen points better than anyone out there unless something drastic changes.

seafoid

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on April 12, 2023, 07:05:11 PM
Tommy Walsh
How to beat Limerick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQm6SPsxbx8&t=2880s

Man mark that Limerick half forward line and half back lines you're going to have to have your own half backs right up into midfield which is going to leave an acre of space for Guillane, Casey and Seamy Flanagan to work in with no cover in front of you.

It's high risk and you'll need a fullback line with a lot of pace and physique to cope with that, but then again the theory is that the ball in won't be as good and higher in the air, giving the defenders a chance, but get it wrong and the net will be shaking.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on April 13, 2023, 03:16:45 PM
Tommy Walsh
How to beat Limerick

Man mark that Limerick half forward line and half back lines you're going to have to have your own half backs right up into midfield which is going to leave an acre of space for Guillane, Casey and Seamy Flanagan to work in with no cover in front of you.

It's high risk and you'll need a fullback line with a lot of pace and physique to cope with that, but then again the theory is that the ball in won't be as good and higher in the air, giving the defenders a chance, but get it wrong and the net will be shaking.
He says movement and speed...I wonder how that would get on

imtommygunn

Tommy Walsh
How to beat Limerick

Is the no cover thing not pretty much what KK tried? Sure look how that turned out.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on April 13, 2023, 04:38:24 PM
Tommy Walsh
How to beat Limerick

He says movement and speed...I wonder how that would get on

Limerick forwards aren't lacking in that regard either, que big Seamy Flanagan showing the KK fullback a clean pair of heels before passing off to a free Guillane to shake said net.

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 13, 2023, 05:01:41 PM
Tommy Walsh
How to beat Limerick

Is the no cover thing not pretty much what KK tried? Sure look how that turned out.

See above.

Limerick hit 20 wides and still won pulling up by 11 points, Kilkenny had a few sights at goal, but were few and far between.

Serious outfit this Limerick lot.

The Premierview Podcast

might as well,Just hand them the Liam McCarthy now and be done with it

seafoid

Anyone playing Limerick needs goals.
There is no point in trying to match Limerick for power or skill.
Cork did well against them in 2018 and 2019 by creating space and getting runners from deep .

johnnycool

Quote from: The Premierview Podcast on April 14, 2023, 02:08:38 PM

I wouldn't go that far, Clare might give them a bit of a game, but everyone else in Munster are also rans...

;)

clonadmad

Quote from: johnnycool on April 17, 2023, 02:17:46 PM
Quote from: The Premierview Podcast on April 14, 2023, 02:08:38 PM

I wouldn't go that far, Clare might give them a bit of a game, but everyone else in Munster are also rans...

;)

Everyone in Ireland is also rans

What odds are they for 6 in a row ?

north_antrim_hound

Still think Tipp the only team to ambush them by simply moving the ball faster and moving faster themselves but it will only happen if limerick are off colour. Limerick brings there A game for rest of year and it's a done deal.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

seafoid

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 17, 2023, 04:54:31 PM
Still think Tipp the only team to ambush them by simply moving the ball faster and moving faster themselves but it will only happen if limerick are off colour. Limerick brings there A game for rest of year and it's a done deal.
They have to ambush them outside Munster

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on April 17, 2023, 05:04:17 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 17, 2023, 04:54:31 PM
They have to ambush them outside Munster

With Munster being so tight I don't think anyone can keep their powder dry for an "ambush" in an AI semi-final or final.

It'll need to be full tilt in Munster from the get go.