Hotels in Dublin

Started by Norf Tyrone, May 13, 2013, 06:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Hi Norf

Looks likes the lads & ladies have already given you good advice here.
Lots of options in Dublin as you know but don't be expecting a cheap few days.
The zoo & Tayto park are both very expensive, though we have membership for the zoo which works out very good for shorter visits.

I'd recommend ye go to the Tayto park on the way down or else back up again, as there's loads to do when yer based in Dublin.
The wife tells me Imaginosity is good but its like a smaller version of W5 in Belfast. Its away out on the south side though.

There's a great huge kids playground out in Argillian castle near Balbriggan & also that Newbridge house has a great playground and the farm is quite good though being from Norf Tyrone as well as me this might seem alien to ya. It was for me for the first few times.
If its raining there are loads of ball pools/indoor play areas
The viking splash tour is meant to be great for kids but I've never done it and of course there is the wax museum and leprechaun museum too. I've not been to either.

If the kids like a swimming pool in their hotel then yes the Castleknock is probably the best bet though a trip to the NAC.ie would probably be very popular but again its not cheap.

If you wanna be near town then the Aisling is a good bet.

Have ye taken the kids on the Croke park tour? Its quiet good and now they do the sky walk thing too.
I'd recommend a wee drive out along the coast road past Clontarf towards Howth.
You can feed seals out in Howth harbour and see the ships coming into Dublin bay from the summit. Some nice fish restaurants out there as well.

One wee tip ye might already know
Don't leave ANYTHING on view in your car as its likely to get a window smashed. I've lived here for years and my car has never been touched but my brother came down with the wife & kid one weekend and they parked outside a church for mass. When they came out the window was smashed and their suitcase stolen.

seafoid

Quote from: Rois on May 13, 2013, 11:13:33 PM
Castleknock Hotel - brilliant spot, near zoo, has pool and play area, close to Blanchardstown for cinema and train from Castleknock station into town. Just off m50 too.

Really like the place, great for families. A well known former fruit and veg supplying family in the parish all went there with kids recently, plus my sis took hers on hols there too.

Possibly kids club in summer.
I think kids clubs only run during the summer holidays

Bingo

Re people saying the trip to the Zoo been dear - i think it is great value and you can literally spend hours in it. What makes it dear is landing with one hand longer than the other and buying food, drinks and snacks once inside. Stock up before you land, plenty of outdoor picnic tables and the like in it, so shop ahead.

Minder

You will see loads of Tyrone ones in the zoo Norf
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

laoislad

If you do stay in Castle knock hotel there is a place called Fort Lucan very nearby which the kids should love.
Its like a playground on steroids.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Denn Forever

Quote from: laoislad on May 14, 2013, 08:08:06 PM
If you do stay in Castle knock hotel there is a place called Fort Lucan very nearby which the kids should love.
Its like a playground on steroids.

Very true.  And release the inner child and have a ball yourself.  My one gripe was that adults were not supposed to use the trampolines.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Lecale2

Quote from: laoislad on May 13, 2013, 07:08:53 PM
The Ashling Hotel is good and in a decent location.
Never stayed myself but members of my family have now and again and they seem to like it.
http://www.ashlinghotel.ie

Excellent spot. I stayed there last August and got a very good deal.

Fuzzman

Yeah if ye get a sunny day would strongly recommend Fort Lucan. It's a wee bit hard to find if you don't know your way around as its near Lucan. The kids will love it

For the zoo for 2 adults and 3 kids it's €50. There's a decent restaurant as ye head in on the right near the meerkats but I am always amazed how they never put in any other good restaurants further around the area. There's like a fast food style restaurant further on in the African plains but its not great. Sandwiches even bought from a shop before hand might be the way to go.

lynchbhoy

Fuzz, there is a great cafe in the phoenix park beside aras an uachtaran.
At the roundabout in front of the Aras (fyi North - its the first roundabout heading from th Zoo away from the city side) take the road up to the left and into the car park and walled gardens.
there is a wee stone  mini castle and a timeber walled cafe behind this.
there is a big enough childrens playground the far side of the walled gardens (whch are lovely to walk around to see the flowers and veg growing and loveingly tended to).
While not cheap, the cost of food etc in this cafe isnt too bad. The food is good and the desserts are lovely.
If its not windy or raining then you can eat out in the large courtyard behind the cafe.

Aishling hotel is just below phoenix park, but while the area has been scrubbed up in the past 2 years, its a gritty industrial enough location.Adjacent to some tough housing estates. Its on the luas line and handy for city centre.
Clarion beside liffey valey shopping centre, well located for going north or south along the M50.
Castleknock hotel is very nice to stay in I believe, but like the clarion- that bit further out - yet only a couple of miles from phoenix park. Near a couple of good pubs/restaurants (+golf clubs) and blanchardstown shopping centre.
there is a crowne plaza besde blanch shopping centre. Dont know anyone that has stayed in it but its a decent location.
If you have any questions about castleknock or blanch- pm me.

Denn Forever

Ashtown castle I think it is.  It is the old Papal Nuncio's gaff.  They also do the history of the Phoenix park there.
means what he says...

Fuzzman

Yeah I know it well. The kids like the wee small maze there as well.
That's a great playground but its always jammed when its a nice day.

Denn Forever

The maze follows the walls of the old Papal Nuncio's house which was demolished when the Castle was reinstated.
means what he says...

Misscalculate

Have stayed in the crowne plaza near blanchardstown a few times. It's usually great value, good hotel, clean and reasonably priced. Only downside is I don't think it has a pool, probably better with a pool for kids. Citywest usually has some good deals and has pool, is a bit further out but has the luas line close by.

bigfrank

Headin to croker sat night but have nothing booked,was thinkin of somewhere outside city like the citywest as its pretty cheap and has luas line at front door that would take me to Connolly station which is 15 mins walk to croker? its about £3.10 return,am I right with what im readin online? any other hotel suggestions maybe a bit closer to croker with access to luas? luas line stay open late? think I read 6.45pm return to saggart stop outside citywest?

illdecide

Guys i'm staying down in the capital on Sat night and was wondering if someone could recommend a couple of eating houses for the weekend. I have the wife and two kids with me so bear that in mind...I always struggle to find somewhere nice to eat out in Dublin...(not a Burger King or McDonald's fan TBH)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch