Bailing Out The Farmers.... What's Different?

Started by Norf Tyrone, April 10, 2013, 10:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Know I am asking this question as I am not sure of the answer (For now) as opposed to stirring things up.

After last week's bad snow storms, I note that Stormont is giving the farmers affected £5 million to help them out. Why?

We all had a good gripe when the banks got bailed out. What's different now?

Farmers' incomes, I'd guess, would be in the mid to top range of people in the country, and I know they work hard for it, but why do they get a bail out from the government? What makes them special?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnneycool

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 10, 2013, 10:53:02 AM
Know I am asking this question as I am not sure of the answer (For now) as opposed to stirring things up.

After last week's bad snow storms, I note that Stormont is giving the farmers affected £5 million to help them out. Why?

Farmers' incomes, I'd guess, would be in the mid to top range of people in the country, and I know they work hard for it, but why do they get a bail out from the government? What makes them special?

Sure aren't the builders getting a bail out as they couldn't build in the snow?

Stall the Bailer

You must be joking.
When dividing out what they make by hours spent, it wouldn't be even minimum wage that they earn

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Rossfan on April 10, 2013, 10:57:15 AM
Do you eat anything?

I do. I also use banks, but people objected to their bail out.

bogball88

I guess its part of the whole subsidies which farmers get from both government and the EU. The idea behind this is that if farmers didnt get such support, then they would have to sell their animals, milk etc for a much higher fee to shops and supermarkets in order so they are not operating at a loss due to cost of animal feed, diesel, fertiliser etc-then its people like Norf who would be crying "those bloody farmers, look how much I am paying for a pint of milk, or a fillet of steak-they must be bloody loaded!"

If they weren't "bailed out" as Norf so elequently puts it, it wouldnt just be the farmer who is left out of pocket but, the ordinary man on the street who would have to pay a much higher price for their food!

Surely Norf Tyrone you aren't that naive not realise this given the nature of your locality??

deiseach

Conclusion made, data to follow.

J70

I grew up on a farm and I don't know where this myth of wealthy farmers comes from, at least when it comes to places like Donegal. Sure, you have assets in the form of land and whatever buildings and machinery you put yourself in debt for, but the income is barely (and not always) sufficient to just keep your nose above the water.

Rois

A couple of things:
a. Relative quantum - £5m is less than the policing cost of the flag protest
b. Control - banks conducted reckless lending which drove property prices up and the inherent greed/ambition of those in control of the funds directly contributed to the financial mess.  No wonder rolling heads are called for.  The farmers, for all their percieved (and perhaps real) lack of preparation, could not control the weather and its impact, nor could they control the lack of resources in the public sector to get to their animals and help.  It was a freak period of weather.  I would tend to hold people accountable for things they could reasonably control, which in my mind doesn't fit the snow circumstances, so I'm happy enough with the support they are getting. 

God14

Quote from: Rois on April 10, 2013, 11:44:16 AM
A couple of things:
a. Relative quantum - £5m is less than the policing cost of the flag protest
b. Control - banks conducted reckless lending which drove property prices up and the inherent greed/ambition of those in control of the funds directly contributed to the financial mess.  No wonder rolling heads are called for.  The farmers, for all their percieved (and perhaps real) lack of preparation, could not control the weather and its impact, nor could they control the lack of resources in the public sector to get to their animals and help.  It was a freak period of weather.  I would tend to hold people accountable for things they could reasonably control, which in my mind doesn't fit the snow circumstances, so I'm happy enough with the support they are getting.

+1

Thats your answer there Guys, debate closed.

Norf Tyrone

All that's fair enough. Just curious as much as anything, and perhaps a tad ignorant.

Would they not be insured for such events?

J70

Given Ireland's weather, I can't imagine insuring a farming operation against it would be cheap, if even possible.

bogball88

I believe insurance companies do not provide cover for instances of severe weather like snow as it is regarded as an act of God or something like that

Bearly on loose

Agreed Rois.  Points well made.  I do feel however, despite claims made to the contrary, Norf is indeed on the wind up!

To digress somewhat from the topic at hand and to expand briefly on Bogball's sentiments - there already is a massive disparity between what a farmer is paid for milk/meat etc and what consumers pay for said products in shops/butchers etc.  Obviously there are numerous costs to be considered from when the product leaves the farm premises to it reaches the store.  But my point is the money you may pay for your litre of milk, or your fillet steak is in no way even close to what the farmer receives.

Farmers incomes may not be what you think Norf!

bogball88

Quote from: Bearly on loose on April 10, 2013, 12:14:51 PM
Agreed Rois.  Points well made.  I do feel however, despite claims made to the contrary, Norf is indeed on the wind up!

To digress somewhat from the topic at hand and to expand briefly on Bogball's sentiments - there already is a massive disparity between what a farmer is paid for milk/meat etc and what consumers pay for said products in shops/butchers etc.  Obviously there are numerous costs to be considered from when the product leaves the farm premises to it reaches the store.  But my point is the money you may pay for your litre of milk, or your fillet steak is in no way even close to what the farmer receives.

Farmers incomes may not be what you think Norf!

I agree, but can you imagine what the prices we pay for said foods would be like without government and EU subsidies if farmers put their prices up to operate without a loss?