Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

time ticking away

canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

tiempo

In 03 and 05 U21 players played for Tyrone in the afternoon and again for their clubs in the league later that same evening.

time ticking away

Quote from: tiempo on April 20, 2015, 11:12:05 PM
In 03 and 05 U21 players played for Tyrone in the afternoon and again for their clubs in the league later that same evening.
ah well that makes it ok then

Sunny Day

To be honest fella's both sides have a strong argument here.  Every year there is always going to be a gripe with when club games should be halted and club games go ahead.  This year its U21's, next year it could be minors, the following year it could be our seniors stopping club football.  I think Dublin HQ need to show more leadership immediately.  This is not confined to Tyrone, its a national problem. There needs to be stringent rules and legislation passed regarding these issues.  The GAA needs to align itself more as an organisation and make citrical decisions regarding player welfare and games promotion.  Club football can not be halted at a whim!  The show for the life blood of the GAA (Club Football) must have a set stage to play it's games, their leagues and their Championships on a fair and even basis. County Teams also should be given their times,  but what it does seem like at the minute is a tipping of the scales toward County Football.  The length of the GAA County Calender is way too long - it begins in January and finishes in September if the AI Final is not a draw which takes it into October! This is completely ridiculous.  The National league that began on January 31st is still not completed some 13 weeks later, and remember there is only 7 games to play.  That is complete madness.  Head Quarters needs to change if games at grass roots are to develop.  I'm sorry but our Tyrone CCC is not the issue or the blame, the source of the rot must be tackled at the top from HQ on Jones Road, Dublin.  As one would say 'The Fish Rots from the Head'. 

tiempo

Quote from: time ticking away on April 20, 2015, 11:13:24 PM
Its an improvement is it not?

time ticking away

Quote from: tiempo on April 21, 2015, 12:22:18 PM
Quote from: time ticking away on April 20, 2015, 11:13:24 PM
Its an improvement is it not?
Yep, player welfare has come a long way.

time ticking away

In 1990, Peter Canavan played in an Ulster U21 final against Down and then immediately after played against Armagh in a Mc Kenna cup final. There were also club games that evening but I think he was spared the third game in a day as the Glencull issue had yet to be resolved

Mikhailov

Quote from: time ticking away on April 21, 2015, 12:57:27 PM
In 1990, Peter Canavan played in an Ulster U21 final against Down and then immediately after played against Armagh in a Mc Kenna cup final. There were also club games that evening but I think he was spared the third game in a day as the Glencull issue had yet to be resolved

From memory there were possibly 3 or 4 players who would have played in the U21's, part of the McKenna cup final and the club games that evening...I stand corrected but quite a lot of players from them good U21 teams from that era played senior county football very early in their careers as Tyrone were at a rebuilding stage in them days.

However, that doesn't mean we should be doing this now - the current episode is embarrassing. We have a chance of an U21 title and we are forcing young players to choose between club or county and that is unfair IMO

Aaron Boone

Wee Peter was registered to Killyclogher Hurling Club back in those days.

The Trap

For a balanced debate can we have posters giving the reasons for and against:

1. Playing the first round of the championship in May
or
2. Playing the first round of the championship when the county season is over

time ticking away

Only one reason to play the first round of a knockout championship in May...
Get money into the coffers to help fund the county teams for the year.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: time ticking away on April 21, 2015, 02:12:39 PM
This sort of BS arguement is what p1sses me off when this sort of thing is discussed.
While i am not bothered whether its played in May or not, having around a bit earlier is certainly better than shoehorning the whole championship into about 4 weeks in september /october (which we have had before.)
Ironically, we have alot of the same fellas on here bemoaning the lack of preparation time for the uslter club games as well. You cant have it every way.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

redhandloo

Surely you mean fund the county senior team?
Tough times don't last, tough people do!

time ticking away

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 21, 2015, 02:15:49 PM
This sort of BS arguement is what p1sses me off when this sort of thing is discussed.
While i am not bothered whether its played in May or not, having around a bit earlier is certainly better than shoehorning the whole championship into about 4 weeks in september /october (which we have had before.)
Ironically, we have alot of the same fellas on here bemoaning the lack of preparation time for the uslter club games as well. You cant have it every way.
Do you honestly believe the county board have championship fixtures in May to provide preparation time for the winners to compete in the Ulster club. You really are deluded. Omagh had at least 5 weeks after the county final last year before their game with Crossmaglen. The gap between the championship semi finals and final last year was a month. Loads of room for manoeuvre.
Championship fixtures in May is purely a financial decision. It's all about cash flow

tiempo

Could the ACL not be run off as a series of blitz days involving 3 divisions to be played at the 3 nearest pitches to the Tyrone match which will have just finished, that way the players wont have to cool down, hopefully