Recent posts

Antrim / Re: Antrim Football Thread
Last post by bannside - Today at 03:55:00 PM
He's a young lad who starred at college and under age level and maybe the expectation was he would go into Antrim seniors and start shooting the lights out.

It didn't work out that way but I'll tell you what, fair play he stuck it out two full years and didn't ever spit the dummy. He's a class big lad who is a real handful at club level and maybe under a different manager Big Pat would have got a lot more game time. Thats not a reflection on Andy, just different people see different things. And certainly would have got a lot more game time the way the game used to be played!

And a player who gives his all for the county dosent deserve an ounce  of criticism from people on here whom there is a very strong chance either couldn't lace his boots or say it to his face.
GAA Discussion / Re: Joe Brolly
Last post by Truthsayer - Today at 03:46:35 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on Today at 03:39:34 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on Today at 02:36:29 PM
Quote from: Truthsayer on Today at 02:09:49 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on Today at 01:55:20 PM
Quote from: Truthsayer on Today at 12:14:03 PMWhile I believe Harte is out of his depth and a disaster for Derry, much of Joe's rant was not researched or indeed factual. The best was that Tyrone and Derry supporters totally get behind each others county at the later stages of the championship when their own team has exited. Maybe true in '93 as he cited but not now. No way!

Ffs, some mad hoors about

So, let
Not so mad!... explain why Harte didn't beat Kerry, Dublin or Mayo in the championship 2009 to 2020 (2021 new management won Sam) or why Dublin obliterated Louth last year but with Ger Brennan they put up a respectable show against the Dubs. Harte is not up to that top level coaching, has got left well behind. He was pre-2010 or so... thems the facts. Derry are in freefall .. no?!

Spot on

Ah ffs, more aul lazy Brolly nonsense. Harte had a Tyrone team knocking on the door for near a quarter of a century. The team Mickey built won the Covid Sam (and, fair play to them, none are easy one)

As for the Louth craic, christ of almighty, either Dublin will toy with you as they've done in the past or blitz you depending on how hungry they are. It's Leinster, it's a training session for the. Brennan, again, availing of a team put together by....? A team who finished 2nd behind Derry and Dublin. They must have got promoted this year, no?
😅 most of Tyrone figured that out long before Brollys latest tirades... is why they let him go! Mickey was holding that team back, once he went the shackles came off and Sam's your man! Not sure what 'Covid Sam' means.. 2020 was much bigger lockdown so Dublins number 6 must def be a Covid Sam... As you say teams taken so far by Harte but can't take them to the next level. Currently taking Derry apart...
General discussion / Re: TV Show recommendations
Last post by J70 - Today at 03:43:10 PM
Watching a new documentary on Stax records on HBO Max. Really good so far, with the story of how a tiny Memphis white country music record label, in the racist south, veered into southern soul with its integrated house band, Booker T and the MGs. The second episode is quite an emotional watch if you're somewhat informed, with the pending death of the label's superstar, Otis Redding, hanging over the story as it moves through 1967. It's hard to believe he was only 26 when he died, three days after recording Sitting on the Dock of the Bay.

https://www.hbo.com/stax-soulsville-usa
GAA Discussion / Re: Joe Brolly
Last post by JoG2 - Today at 03:39:34 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on Today at 02:36:29 PM
Quote from: Truthsayer on Today at 02:09:49 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on Today at 01:55:20 PM
Quote from: Truthsayer on Today at 12:14:03 PMWhile I believe Harte is out of his depth and a disaster for Derry, much of Joe's rant was not researched or indeed factual. The best was that Tyrone and Derry supporters totally get behind each others county at the later stages of the championship when their own team has exited. Maybe true in '93 as he cited but not now. No way!

Ffs, some mad hoors about

So, let
Not so mad!... explain why Harte didn't beat Kerry, Dublin or Mayo in the championship 2009 to 2020 (2021 new management won Sam) or why Dublin obliterated Louth last year but with Ger Brennan they put up a respectable show against the Dubs. Harte is not up to that top level coaching, has got left well behind. He was pre-2010 or so... thems the facts. Derry are in freefall .. no?!

Spot on

Ah ffs, more aul lazy Brolly nonsense. Harte had a Tyrone team knocking on the door for near a quarter of a century. The team Mickey built won the Covid Sam (and, fair play to them, none are easy one)

As for the Louth craic, christ of almighty, either Dublin will toy with you as they've done in the past or blitz you depending on how hungry they are. It's Leinster, it's a training session for the. Brennan, again, availing of a team put together by....? A team who finished 2nd behind Derry and Dublin. They must have got promoted this year, no?
General discussion / Re: Euro 2024 Competition - Cl...
Last post by AustinPowers - Today at 03:34:28 PM
Bowl 1:  England, Italy, France, Germany

Bowl 2: Spain, Netherlands, Portugal, Belgium

Bowl 3: Turkey, Austria, Switzerland, Denmark

Bowl 4: Czech Republic, Scotland, Ukraine, Croatia

Bowl 5: Serbia, Poland, Hungary, Romania

Bowl 6: Slovakia, Slovenia, Georgia, Albania

Portugal to beat Croatia in the final
Tyrone / Re: Tyrone Club Football and H...
Last post by tiempo - Today at 03:20:29 PM
Can't see past Carmen this year, under new management and a renewed focus about them
Down / Re: Down Club Hurling & Footba...
Last post by Sheedy - Today at 03:20:10 PM
Quote from: manwithnoplan on Today at 02:53:40 PM
Quote from: naka on Today at 01:50:13 PMtbf i though price was fair
its €25 to watch armagh on sunday

That is a rip off.
Quote from: naka on Today at 01:50:13 PMtbf i though price was fair
its €25 to watch armagh on sunday

it's €25 for the Down match as well, the price I had was sterling, imo it's too much
General discussion / Re: TV Show recommendations
Last post by tbrick18 - Today at 03:18:24 PM
Its been out a while, but I've watched the first season of Patriot on Prime.
I thought it was really good.

Quote from: johnnycool on Today at 01:59:37 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 12, 2024, 11:07:04 PM
Quote from: marty34 on June 12, 2024, 10:32:23 PMOr the Kildare candidate who wants to get women breeding.

'We're great women and we want them breeding'. 

Wtf?

And he got elected!
Nothing wrong with that, we'd love to get the Clifford genes up to Armagh and breeding!

Reminds me of the great story about the lads sitting in a bar in Wexford mulling over yet another hammering at the hands of kilkenny when it was muted they'd need to go up to Kilkenny and bring a few women back with them when a wise old sage at the corner of the bar interjected "Make sure they're already pregnant before you bring them back down"

;D  ;D
Hurling Discussion / Re: Hurling 2024
Last post by Milltown Row2 - Today at 02:54:03 PM
Quote from: Franko on Today at 02:02:45 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on Today at 01:48:13 PMDefinite striking action as opposed to a throw would need to be separation from the ball and hand prior to the strike, is that 5mm, 10mm or 100mm?

Two peoples definite strike is subjective.

Fair point, but there are many rules of play in the GAA - both codes - which are subjective

The referee has to make a call

And this is what I mean around the issue of getting them all to police it the same

Whilst it would maybe be best to define this more specifically, I don't think anyone could dispute that a huge amount (overwhelming majority?) of handpasses in the current game do not contain a 'definite striking action'

If that was policed as a start off - I think the issue would fade away

I would say that vast majority of games that I do or watch locally, are policed well enough, the games you see on TV are not the the vast majority of games played up and down the country at all levels, its 1% if that, I'd break it down even further and say that its mainly a few players from one county team that are 'masters' of throwing the ball as they have it down to a T..

Technical fouls and ordinary fouls are part and parcel, ref's don't get all the technical ones and certainly depending on what side of the fence you are they don't get any of the other ordinary ones!