Derry v Kerry AISF Sunday 16th July 4pm

Started by JoG2, July 03, 2023, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawshank

I was in the bar yesterday evening and was fortunate for a current county ref to call in. He had been at the game and the Sunday game was on as we in the bar.He said, and I will quote him 'absolutely a free and a minimum yellow card for rough play. Joe definitely had a good enough view to at least award a free out to Derry'
My reply was 'how does a ref at that level not know that when I did', his reply 'I don't think a free and further sanction should have been missed in that position with a clear view 20 yards away'

what can you say. Kerry point and then the complete  nonsense free given at the end that gave Kerry the opportunity to push up on Derrys kickouts.

Wildweasel74

Well everybody to their opinion, we played the same corner forwards with zero return, make the same subs as Gallagher, Shea Downey should be the first sub of the bench. And we left the best player in Ireland one on one with Chrissy. Tyrone totally closed him down. Derry needed a man in front of him. I no problem Meenagh staying on in the team, but this team not progress unless Derry show abit of balls and, Make O'Rourke manager. Hard decision in light of what we achieved but Derry will not progress unless they play a man or 2 up front, a flat 15 defence only gets you so far.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Orior on July 17, 2023, 10:01:54 AM
Quote from: redzone on July 16, 2023, 11:09:11 PM
Rodgers was brilliant, love watching him play. Glass was poor I thought and when Kerry pushed up on the kickouts in the last 10 they won them. Derry had chances but couldn't take them and just are not good enough to win Sam

I wish Rodgers played for Armagh.

Was one of the Kerry panel giving Shane McGuigan grief after the final whistle?

Elaborate on that one for us. Verbals?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 17, 2023, 09:52:44 AM
Quote from: Derryman forever on July 17, 2023, 09:38:16 AM
Regardless of the debate whether Ryans challenge was a foul, in the interest of protecting the player, was mc Quillan  obligated to stop play for a potential head injury?

That is a very valid point.

Yes he is but when players (not in this case) keep holding their heads at every 'tackle' it can be the a bit much to keep working out was he hit, how bad or where was it on the body.

In this particular incident, the ball was played across the pitch? so the position the keeper was in was natural enough? plus he was really reaching for it and collected it, the aftermath was worse than what I had thought though, but it wasn't a charge, I thought he caught the ball first and collided second.

It's all about opinions though, people want a physical game and when it suits them and non contact when it doesn't
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

There was something going on at the final whistle, as I seen O'connor stuck in the middle of it.

Wildweasel74

Wasn't hard to see he took a bad head hit, the ref blind from 20m.I pointed out to you last year that u dislike of Derry is embrassing Milltown. Maybe you should focus on why Antrim are so poor. Sure Derry were at there level 4yrs ago.

Rudi

Shane Ryans hit on McGuigan was deliberate. Protecting himself my hole, he eyes him up & throws his back end into McGuigans head. Kerry are as dirty as you get anywhere. Really hope Dublin bate them.
That challenge could have broke McGuigans neck, GAA needs to get real about head high challenges. McGuigan was a sitting duck, Ryan a complete arse, with scant regard for player safety.

shawshank

Quote from: Rudi on July 17, 2023, 10:17:47 AM
Shane Ryans hit on McGuigan was deliberate. Protecting himself my hole, he eyes him up & throws his back end into McGuigans head. Kerry are as dirty as you get anywhere. Really hope Dublin bate them.
That challenge could have broke McGuigans neck, GAA needs to get real about head high challenges. McGuigan was a sitting duck, Ryan a complete arse, with scant regard for player safety.

and a clown of a ref ignored what is a free and a yellow, at the cost of a point to Derry.

Derryman forever

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2023, 10:09:08 AM
Regardless of the debate whether Ryans challenge was a foul, in the interest of protecting the player, was mc Quillan  obligated to stop play for a potential head injury?

Yes he is but when players (not in this case) keep holding their heads at every 'tackle' it can be the a bit much to keep working out was he hit, how bad or where was it on the body.

In this particular incident, the ball was played across the pitch? so the position the keeper was in was natural enough? plus he was really reaching for it and collected it, the aftermath was worse than what I had thought though, but it wasn't a charge, I thought he caught the ball first and collided second.

It's all about opinions though, people want a physical game and when it suits them and non contact when it doesn't

Wise up.
You are making a fool of yourself.
The referee had unobstructed vision from less than 20 yards.

redzone

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 17, 2023, 10:24:12 AM

Wise up.
You are making a fool of yourself.
The referee had unobstructed vision from less than 20 yards.

Mcguigan is great at inviting contact and getting the free. He had plenty of time to put his hands up to protect himself but he tryed to take one for the team. Joe didn't buy it. And rightly so

tbrick18

Quote from: shawshank on July 17, 2023, 10:23:10 AM
Quote from: Rudi on July 17, 2023, 10:17:47 AM

and a clown of a ref ignored what is a free and a yellow, at the cost of a point to Derry.

You know what, even it wasn't a free (which I absolutely think it was), McGuigan took a hit to the head and landed on the deck. The play should have been stopped immediately for a head injury. Mistake by the ref, which resulted in a point.
Yes Derry missed enough chances to win the game, but the ref made a number of calls which swung momentum in Kerry's favour at crucial moments. This undoubtedly influenced the game.
All you want is a fair crack at it and I think Derry were denied that by the ref.
Hats off to Kerry, they have the best footballer in the country by a mile and he dragged them through that game.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 17, 2023, 10:12:14 AM
Wasn't hard to see he took a bad head hit, the ref blind from 20m.I pointed out to you last year that u dislike of Derry is embrassing Milltown. Maybe you should focus on why Antrim are so poor. Sure Derry were at there level 4yrs ago.

I agreed he should have stopped play, I'm not arguing, first glance it looked ok, after seeing it yeah it should have been stopped, what have Antrim got to do with this discussion is just silly talk! 

I've absolutely no beef with Derry either ya header..

Focus on why ya never won the game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

InnocentByStander

You are one to talk, once gave a free for the best shoulder I've ever saw. Antrim twitter even posted it on their twitter feed it was that good.

But you somehow saw it as a free  ;D ;D

imtommygunn

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 17, 2023, 10:09:30 AM
There was something going on at the final whistle, as I seen O'connor stuck in the middle of it.

McGuigan didn't look very willing to shake his hand. Tbh it very much looked like O'Connor sent a team out to take him out so I wouldn't blame him.