Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

Arsenal's invincibles get a mention?

BennyCake

The United 1999 team was better than the 2008 team.

Most positions had probably among the best in the world at that time: Schmeichel, Stam, Irwin, Keane, Scholes... they had probably the best strike partnership around in Yorke and Cole, plus the best crosser of the ball in Beckham. Gary Neville was no slouch either. You had great options in Sheringham, Solskjaer, Butt and Phil Neville too.

Rich Ricci

Quote from: An Watcher on May 21, 2021, 06:51:18 PM

That was a very good Arsenal team but I think the "invincible" season is one of the most overrated achievements ever. Give me a one point title win and a champions league or even an fa cup any day of the week. When Utd were at their peak Ferguson rotated the squad so that they could compete on all fronts even if meant the odd slip up on the league. Arsene Wenger's ego prevented a great arsenal side from doing that.

On the Utd 08-11 side if they hadn't of ran into the probably the best club side of all time they would have had another 2 champions leagues. An incredible group of players with an incredible manager.

Armagh18

Quote from: Rich Ricci on May 21, 2021, 07:10:15 PM

That was a very good Arsenal team but I think the "invincible" season is one of the most overrated achievements ever. Give me a one point title win and a champions league or even an fa cup any day of the week. When Utd were at their peak Ferguson rotated the squad so that they could compete on all fronts even if meant the odd slip up on the league. Arsene Wenger's ego prevented a great arsenal side from doing that.

On the Utd 08-11 side if they hadn't of ran into the probably the best club side of all time they would have had another 2 champions leagues. An incredible group of players with an incredible manager.
Not to mention Rooney's injury in 2010 and Nani's ridiculous red in 2013. Those were the days.

Boycey

Surprised by Bailly playing today... Maybe Maguire closer than originally thought

Cunny Funt

Impressive to finish the Premier league season unbeaten away. Today was arguably Uniteds best away result this season when you consider it was a 2nd string United team and Wolves didn't lose any of their recent home games to United.

Bailly or Tuanzebe to play alongside Lindelof on Wednesday. Highly unlikely Maguire will be able to play.

Boycey

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 23, 2021, 06:19:16 PM
Impressive to finish the Premier league season unbeaten away. Today was arguably Uniteds best away result this season when you consider it was a 2nd string United team and Wolves didn't lose any of their recent home games to United.

Bailly or Tuanzebe to play alongside Lindelof on Wednesday. Highly unlikely Maguire will be able to play.

Why play either today then? No other potential starter featured

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Boycey on May 23, 2021, 06:22:22 PM
Why play either today then? No other potential starter featured
No other centre back options, was rumours before the game that Jones would play but that proved false.

Boycey

Sure Ole and Carrick could have played for all the difference it would have made.... Or one of Bailly/Axel and Fish who played a cameo anyway. Ah ur likely right but an unnecessary risk in a nothing game if Maguire defo out.

Big big call for Ole for Wednesday night, assuming Cavani starts up top and a defensive midfield of McT/Fred he's got to start Pogba, Fernandez and Greenwood in front of them. Rashford on the right just doesn't work....

Edit or else play Rashford instead of Pogba...

NAG1

Quote from: Boycey on May 23, 2021, 08:03:55 PM
Sure Ole and Carrick could have played for all the difference it would have made.... Or one of Bailly/Axel and Fish who played a cameo anyway. Ah ur likely right but an unnecessary risk in a nothing game if Maguire defo out.

Big big call for Ole for Wednesday night, assuming Cavani starts up top and a defensive midfield of McT/Fred he's got to start Pogba, Fernandez and Greenwood in front of them. Rashford on the right just doesn't work....

Edit or else play Rashford instead of Pogba...

I think the only call is that one, Rashford or Pogba and on recent form Pogba edges it with Rashford coming on later in the game to add pace to the attack.

No chance Maguire plays, that makes it a tight call between Bailly and Tuanzebe. The latter has looked comfortable in recent games.

Such a pity that Teles isnt right footed think he would be a serious threat coming down the right and Shaw on the left. The way things are, more likely to be another one that moves on.

johnnycool

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 21, 2021, 09:18:48 PM
Quote from: Rich Ricci on May 21, 2021, 07:10:15 PM

Not to mention Rooney's injury in 2010 and Nani's ridiculous red in 2013. Those were the days.

Ferguson winning the PL in 2012-2013 was probably his greatest achievement. That team was ladened with quite a lot of average Joes.

Farrandeelin

Happy trebleversary folks. Hopefully Ole can win his first major trophy as manager this evening.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Armagh18

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 26, 2021, 08:24:35 AM
Happy trebleversary folks. Hopefully Ole can win his first major trophy as manager this evening.
Written in the stars...

Milltown Row2

This game (and I thought I'd never say it) will be difficult without Maguire, the balance or communication seems missing.

The one thing they should not do tonight at any stage is pass the ball out from the kickouts and give it to Fred, my dog is called Fred, he'd have more sense not to give the ball away, in fairness to my dog though, its impossible to get the ball of him !!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

Paul Merson be proud of that analysis Milltown  😃

Edit - minds me of a weddin i was at yonks ago, we were expected to say few words and my mate had nothin prepared, ended up rambling about the grooms 2 gay dogs (they werent as far as i know) 😂😃