Rule change on the way for kick-outs?

Started by Jinxy, January 13, 2017, 10:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: haranguerer on January 16, 2017, 08:17:55 AM
Bollocks. 15 is the right number - a ridiculous amount of ground to cover for 13.

Promoting 13 a side is just a lazy solution imo. It won't fix any of the problems mentioned, and will create a host more. Tactically gaa has a long way to go, but currently its clear that most of the pitch isn't used, which is why we see the bunching. Forward systems and runs in particular are by and large shite, and only use a small part of that area, making it easy for sweepers and hard for themselves.

I actually agree with this. When you see a game from an elevated vantage point, it's fairly obvious that as a rule, we are not making the most of space, nor are we delivering the ball quickly/accurately enough to maximise the benefit of the space we have. One of the hardest things I've found in coaching is getting our forwards to make space for themselves. It's only natural, I suppose, that an inside forward will want drift out the field to get on the ball, but it's actually self defeating, especially if your gameplan is to get the ball in diagonally, or direct, and quickly. Very often your inside man is running into a congested area, or else out to the sideline. Getting lads to make space in front of themselves by talking to their half forwards and by staying in close to the endline so that when they make their run, they are running to collect a ball 20 metres out, rather than running to collect a ball 40 metres out, after starting on the 20m line is one way of maximising the space we do have. Also intelligent angled runs and understanding those runs by the lads out the field are definitely ways to make it harder for a defence to deny the space. It's an area where I think the next tactical advance will be.