Rugby rules.

Started by 5 Sams, October 08, 2011, 08:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: take_yer_points on October 10, 2011, 02:08:54 PM
In what instance does the attacking team have the throw in at the line out when they're the ones who kicked the ball out?

And what's the rule for bringing the ball back to where it was kicked from for a line out? Is it because the ball hasn't travelled a certain distance? In what situation is this rule applied?

In the first one it is when they are awarded a penalty and kick for touch...I think the second one is when it is kicked out on the full when the kicker is outside the 22....I think.....
The Aristocrat Years

haranguerer

Quote from: thewobbler on October 10, 2011, 01:53:26 PM
Haranguerer, the technique you are talking about is actually employed quite often in that the guy standing at no.2 in the lineout is thrown up in the air as a shield. But to do this normally commits your best 2 lifters to that jumper, and if he's not up early enough, the other team have a huge advantage at the middle and back of the lineout.

Cheers wobbler.

Why do some fouls give a team a 'free kick' (to either solo and run, go for the posts, or kick for the corner, while others are a scrum?

One other thing that confuses  me, altho its tactical rather than abou the laws - going for drop goals. When a team is in that position, they're likely to get the three points from a penalty or indeed get a try, as they are to score a drop goal , it seems to me anyway. I've seen (I think) teams turn down a kick at the posts to go for a try, then end up going for a drop goal, which is usually appluaded by the commentators, with never any mention of the fact that no benefit has been gained, in that they could have had the 3 points from a set piece moments ago.

It just seems to my ignorant eyes drop goals are a lottery rarely worth entering.

AZOffaly

Usually drop goals are attempted if the attacking team feel that the defense is holding firm, and doing a good job of keeping their discipline as well. It becomes a sort of 'well we might as well get something out of it'. Drop goals are actually a pretty easy skill when you factor in that they are normally in the middle of the pitch, and if it is being engineered by a skillful drive, normally within 30 yards or so.

The other scenario is the last minute attack a lá Ireland's grand slam. In that situation, you are up against a solid defense, and are running out of time. You need a score, and the longer you bring the ball into contact, the more chance of a turnover or knock on. Therefore, you consciously try to set up the high percentage shot. You can't force the defense to give away a penalty.