Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grounded

Quote from: maddog on January 26, 2021, 11:47:42 AM
Quote from: grounded on January 02, 2021, 11:20:18 PM
New year's resolutions/goals

Obviously with covid 19/restrictions in mind.

Myself, I would love to do Mizen-Malin (or vice versa) later in the year over 2 or 3 days.

Any big plans for the rest of ye?

When i looked quick i thought that said Mizen to Milan. ::)

Hope to get close on 5000 miles in. Weather not helping at the moment but getting a bit done on Zwift. Sportives could be a disaster this year, no one seems to be planning guess they can't really with covid situation. The Birmingham velo is scrapped, organisers cancelled last year and tried to keep the money. Seems they have form for it. I got mine back off the credit card company.
Mizen to Malin would be right going in 3 days. There is a group from Birmingham (BICA - Birmingham Irish cycle appeal) that do it a lot of years but i think they take a week at it with a few refreshment points shall we say.

On a side note - thinking about road pedals. I'm still using Look delta pedals (ancient), wondering what the clip in pedal of choice is these days ?

Yep, not looking good for sportives and the like. I seen that with the Birmingham Velo and Midlands Velo also? I think. Fair play for getting the refund. Shitty thing for the organisers to pull.
       As for pedals theres a lot to be said for the good old shimano spd pedal/cleat. I've nearly broke my neck a few times slipping with the spd-sl cleat and they dont last a crack if you do any walking at all on them.

grounded

With this filthy weather and the covid restrictions, im considering this Zwift lark. 
   Anybody using Zwift and would you recommend it?
        What set up do you have? And what trainer would you recommend.
        Apart from the initial costs what are the costs of membership?

Thanks 

laoislad

Quote from: grounded on February 12, 2021, 11:31:04 AM
With this filthy weather and the covid restrictions, im considering this Zwift lark. 

Thanks
Think it's €15/month.
I use it for running and cycling. I prefer running to cycling but I have a Kickr Core smart trainer. Think it was €800 or thereabouts. It's an impressive piece of kit to be fair. I only mainly cycle as a means of cross training for running so I'm probably not using the smart trainer to it's full potential.
Zwift is a great platform though, would highly recommend it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

maddog

Thanks

Bennydorano will be able to answer you better however in my own limited experience its a case of either Zwift or i don't get out until weekend. If the weekend weather is crap then you dont get out at all. So a god send i find. I've the Tacx Flux which compatability wise once was sorted with an Apple Tv everything was hunky dory. If like me are a glasses wearer it is so much better hooked up to a big TV. The tablet or phone is a bit of a strain. Zwift contains some set training programmes as well as lots of routes around London, Yorkshire, Watopia, New York, Innsbruck and the trainer will adapt to any hills in it to give you a real feel of gradients etc. One thing i do find is that as the bike is in a much more rigid position you can get sore behind and wrists much quicker than you would on the road. So to counteract this you can buy an expensive rocker plate or you can come up with a home solution like a pair of old trainers under the legs and some bubble wrap. Ahem.

BenDover

Quote from: maddog on February 12, 2021, 12:03:15 PM

Thanks

Bennydorano will be able to answer you better however in my own limited experience its a case of either Zwift or i don't get out until weekend. If the weekend weather is crap then you dont get out at all. So a god send i find. I've the Tacx Flux which compatability wise once was sorted with an Apple Tv everything was hunky dory. If like me are a glasses wearer it is so much better hooked up to a big TV. The tablet or phone is a bit of a strain. Zwift contains some set training programmes as well as lots of routes around London, Yorkshire, Watopia, New York, Innsbruck and the trainer will adapt to any hills in it to give you a real feel of gradients etc. One thing i do find is that as the bike is in a much more rigid position you can get sore behind and wrists much quicker than you would on the road. So to counteract this you can buy an expensive rocker plate or you can come up with a home solution like a pair of old trainers under the legs and some bubble wrap. Ahem.
Glad I'm not the only one finding the wrists get sore when zwifting.

I've been using it the past few months, followed a few plans and joined a few of the events, enjoyable and can be addictive. Equipment wise I've a Tacx flow (basic smart trainer), speed and cadence sensors. Casting my phone to the TV works well.

bennydorano

Nothing further to add other than there's plenty of training plans and great individual workouts, races,  group rides, group workouts. Most of the serious cyclists in our club prefer Trainer Road, Zwift is definitely more interactive and has more variety than TR, the TR plans are there in Zwift in a slightly different guise. TR is a £10 i think compared to Zwift at £12.99. I tried TR  few years back and came to conclusion that I'm not disciplined enough for it.

maddog

Anyone tried fullgaz.com? From the little bit have seen of it, it is real footage as you ride various famous climbs etc.

Dearg

I bought a Wattbike Atom second hand there last summer.
Got a great deal on it and it was practically brand new.
Very happy with it and it connects to Zwift.

Tony Baloney

I have zero interest in cycling outdoors but have had some interest in this Zwift carryon for fitness reasons. Could you run a mountain bike on one of those smart turbo trainers as the eldest fella got a new bike there and the old one is in good nick.

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 13, 2021, 09:49:56 AM
I have zero interest in cycling outdoors but have had some interest in this Zwift carryon for fitness reasons. Could you run a mountain bike on one of those smart turbo trainers as the eldest fella got a new bike there and the old one is in good nick.
If you got a wheel on turbo trainer then I'd assume you'd have to change out the tyre on the mountain bike to a training wheel tyre.

grounded

Quote from: bennydorano on February 12, 2021, 01:09:10 PM
Nothing further to add other than there's plenty of training plans and great individual workouts, races,  group rides, group workouts. Most of the serious cyclists in our club prefer Trainer Road, Zwift is definitely more interactive and has more variety than TR, the TR plans are there in Zwift in a slightly different guise. TR is a £10 i think compared to Zwift at £12.99. I tried TR  few years back and came to conclusion that I'm not disciplined enough for it.

Right, i've used trainer road in the past with a basic turbo +speed/cadence set up. Trainer road produced a virtual power reading based on my turbo. I'm not sure of the accuracy of this since i dont own a power meter.
        In any event it didnt really matter since you were using the original baseline ftp virtual power reading when doing any of the plans. Any improvement was still an improvement.
         I did find it awfully boring though, just graphs and numbers and didnt stick at it.
         In terms of Zwift, is it a similar sort of virtual/estimated power if you dont have a smart trainer or power meter? Do you really need a smart trainer? Or would my current set up be ok, perhaps buy a power meter?
           Anyway thanks everyone for advice, just want opinions before I shell out.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on February 13, 2021, 09:58:14 AM
If you got a wheel on turbo trainer then I'd assume you'd have to change out the tyre on the mountain bike to a training wheel tyre.
You could stick your trainer in the post as it doesn't look as if you are using it.

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 13, 2021, 10:34:28 AM
You could stick your trainer in the post as it doesn't look as if you are using it.
Just go and buy one ya cheap fecker  ;D

bennydorano

Quote from: grounded on February 13, 2021, 10:08:14 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on February 12, 2021, 01:09:10 PM

Right, i've used trainer road in the past with a basic turbo +speed/cadence set up. Trainer road produced a virtual power reading based on my turbo. I'm not sure of the accuracy of this since i dont own a power meter.
        In any event it didnt really matter since you were using the original baseline ftp virtual power reading when doing any of the plans. Any improvement was still an improvement.
         I did find it awfully boring though, just graphs and numbers and didnt stick at it.
         In terms of Zwift, is it a similar sort of virtual/estimated power if you dont have a smart trainer or power meter? Do you really need a smart trainer? Or would my current set up be ok, perhaps buy a power meter?
           Anyway thanks everyone for advice, just want opinions before I shell out.

Yeah, same - You can Zwift away with the basic set up but it is all algorithms for your power, I did it when I started, but it's much better  with a smart trainer.

Also, I bought a 4iiii PM for the winter bike there not long ago, £250 for a 105 crank - that would be a cheaper option into the power side of it, but it wont simulate hills etc.. in Zwift, but its usable indoor & outside obviously.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on February 13, 2021, 12:14:26 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 13, 2021, 10:34:28 AM
Just go and buy one ya cheap fecker  ;D
€800!  :o I wouldn't spend that on a bike never mind something to attach a bike to!