Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 18, 2021, 10:48:51 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on June 18, 2021, 10:43:29 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 18, 2021, 10:38:41 AM
Maybe if you PM him rather that airing that stuff on a public forum would be better?

Don't see anything wrong with asking on here MR2, it is pretty common knowledge at this point.

Was just asking DR to clarify.

I think you'd get a quicker response in fairness..

Anyways things are getting out of hand lately on the sidelines and from some players. Some games are a joy to be part of and others you wonder WTF are you doing!!

Hard job for you. I don't envy it.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: groundlie on June 18, 2021, 11:47:58 AM
Sadly, very sadly, we need the American soccer approach where parents are not allowed within 500m of the pitch. I'm not even joking. To me this has to happen or we are going to have a mass migration from our sports which as already been happening for years. Let children play, let them have fun, let people make mistakes on the pitch.

Agreed

NAG1

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 18, 2021, 01:55:11 PM
Quote from: groundlie on June 18, 2021, 11:47:58 AM
Sadly, very sadly, we need the American soccer approach where parents are not allowed within 500m of the pitch. I'm not even joking. To me this has to happen or we are going to have a mass migration from our sports which as already been happening for years. Let children play, let them have fun, let people make mistakes on the pitch.

Agreed

Agreed - but this wasn't a 'parent' in this instance.

podge

https://punditarena.com/gaa/conor-mckenna/gaa-hurling-power-rankings/?fbclid=IwAR1xOPot8YKc_Uxhjc4OsZnnrKbm4XFbE2XQIBG4EAHIq03PP6RsFz2WybU

Lazy analysis if they think Antrim's relative  success is anything to do with money ploughed in from Croke Park (although in fairness they don't explicitly say that).

Has money really put in and what is it being spent on?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: podge on June 19, 2021, 11:07:24 PM
https://punditarena.com/gaa/conor-mckenna/gaa-hurling-power-rankings/?fbclid=IwAR1xOPot8YKc_Uxhjc4OsZnnrKbm4XFbE2XQIBG4EAHIq03PP6RsFz2WybU

Lazy analysis if they think Antrim's relative  success is anything to do with money ploughed in from Croke Park (although in fairness they don't explicitly say that).

Has money really put in and what is it being spent on?

Gaelfast

bannside

Very lazy analysis indeed. It's a long way from Gaelfast to anything remotely happening at development squad level, never mind senior activity.

It has been a fantastic year for Antrim hurling, the icing on the cake would be to topple the Dubs and be competitive against Galway.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: bannside on June 20, 2021, 09:11:53 AM
Very lazy analysis indeed. It's a long way from Gaelfast to anything remotely happening at development squad level, never mind senior activity.

It has been a fantastic year for Antrim hurling, the icing on the cake would be to topple the Dubs and be competitive against Galway.

I absolutely agree..Belfast hurling is in very strong health and there is no way gaelfast could have made impact that quick which is why I've been asking from the beginning why did Belfast get the package ahead of others . In fact I'm glad they did , but other places need same support. There are 15 odd hurling clubs in Belfast and 1 here in Derry. please don't take this as anti gaelfast or Belfast , loved playing up there and genuinely love to see Antrim do well and grow in hurling especially.

imtommygunn

Tbh I agree with this. It is good to see but Derry city probably needs it as much.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: groundlie on June 20, 2021, 11:46:51 AM
Definitely not gaelfast, as much as I would love to say it was. We are actually reaping the rewards of a freakish St Louis winning team. Also, I find it very difficult to work out what gaelfast is? What is actually different or is it just more of the same? I was hoping there would be some really eye catching programmes to set the county alight but it just looks like pe in schools. An insider source said the scheme is on its knees. 4 members of staff are gone. 3 managers and employing another manager, more chiefs than Indians. But sure, what do I know.

Looking in here from Derry Belfast looks like a hurling idyll. Games at all ages all the time ,fantastic facilities, great schools links, massive numbers.

We have a waiting list of 5 primary schools waiting for someone to come in but the days of some lad dandering in fir after-school program doesn't work .
Full-time coaches getting proper wages is what is needed to make proper impact. It is full-time job if done correctly

podge

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 20, 2021, 01:48:57 PM
Quote from: groundlie on June 20, 2021, 11:46:51 AM
Definitely not gaelfast, as much as I would love to say it was. We are actually reaping the rewards of a freakish St Louis winning team. Also, I find it very difficult to work out what gaelfast is? What is actually different or is it just more of the same? I was hoping there would be some really eye catching programmes to set the county alight but it just looks like pe in schools. An insider source said the scheme is on its knees. 4 members of staff are gone. 3 managers and employing another manager, more chiefs than Indians. But sure, what do I know.

Looking in here from Derry Belfast looks like a hurling idyll. Games at all ages all the time ,fantastic facilities, great schools links, massive numbers.

We have a waiting list of 5 primary schools waiting for someone to come in but the days of some lad dandering in fir after-school program doesn't work .
Full-time coaches getting proper wages is what is needed to make proper impact. It is full-time job if done correctly

I agree with you entirely. But I am not at all convinced this is as widespread in antrim as you think it is. In fact I have seen no discernible difference arising from Gaelfast. Happy to stand corrected.

imtommygunn

It's too early to say that though IMO. It isn't that long running and a lot of that time has been in the pandemic. That being said the attrition rates at top levels is worrying on it.

In terms of Belfast I wouldn't say it's as smooth as you think fear though a big issue for me is drop off rate. I finished school late 90s and in my time cbs were invincible. Between then and now I think one city club has won the championship so these amazing school teams aren't transitioning. We now have the St. John's excellent field side and some good Rossa sides coming through. Tbh I think it may be more to do with strong clubs than strong structures in place across the board. I could stand to be corrected on this mind you...

It will be interesting to see what becomes of st endas.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 20, 2021, 08:38:30 PM
It's too early to say that though IMO. It isn't that long running and a lot of that time has been in the pandemic. That being said the attrition rates at top levels is worrying on it.

In terms of Belfast I wouldn't say it's as smooth as you think fear though a big issue for me is drop off rate. I finished school late 90s and in my time cbs were invincible. Between then and now I think one city club has won the championship so these amazing school teams aren't transitioning. We now have the St. John's excellent field side and some good Rossa sides coming through. Tbh I think it may be more to do with strong clubs than strong structures in place across the board. I could stand to be corrected on this mind you...

It will be interesting to see what becomes of st endas.

We used to beat  and compete with at enda regularly up to 2015.  We haven't moved on , they are so impressive now

Antrim Coaster

The thing about St Enda's is they are now reaping the rewards of their move into the North Antrim and South West Divisional boards which improved their underage hurling and football to no ends.

I think they weren't too happy with the amount of cancelled underage games in both codes in the South Antrim board when they played there.

Part of the deal with North Antrim was they had to play all their games away for the first year. I dont think they missed a match.

Is Gaelfast advertising for another manager. I think Neal Peden took over from PD when he stepped down. Seems like its turning into a bit of a Horlicks.

Antrim Coaster

I cant understand why Gaelfast sent a coach into a primary school which is a feeder school for a hurling only club, to coach football. Very poor communication.

I hope that Gaelfast is not going to implode but I think this needs to be managed properly to have each club catered for their needs and not seen as jobs for the boys.

If managed correctly Gaelfast can be a success but needs everyone singing off the same hymnsheet and communications established between all parties.

Its obvious Covid has thrown a spanner in the works but as we return to some sort of normality hopefully it can get on the road that it was intended to do.

ardtole

Are any spectators allowed in at the weekend for the antrim v dublin game?