Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Started by Angelo, October 22, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Yes
122 (71.8%)
No
48 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 170

JoG2

Quote from: J70 on October 22, 2020, 01:02:04 PM
Depends on the process it has passed through.

Personally, I have relatives in the field, so I'll be relying on them for their advice and expertise.

I'd agree. It seems with a fair percentage that if you're 'anti', you're anti everything. Anti lockdown, anti vax etc. You'd have to believe a vaccine will not be rolled out until it is 100% safe. So to that end, a vaccine will help eliminate lockdowns in the future.
However, the level of paranoia with some people means they are unable to think straight atm.

RedHand88

Depressing that nearly half of respondants said no.
Do these people like the status quo at the minute?
Maybe it's a "well ill let someone else try it first" sort of attitude.

Angelo

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 22, 2020, 01:33:38 PM

I don't see as depressing, I see it as pragmatic.

Take your chance with a vaccine rushed through the normal process that has not been tested as stringently as it normally would.

Or take your chance with a virus you or may not contract that has an extremely remote chance of hospitalising or killing people in your demograph.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

RedHand88

Quote from: Angelo on October 22, 2020, 01:49:36 PM

Take your chance with a vaccine rushed through the normal process that has not been tested as stringently as it normally would.

Or take your chance with a virus you or may not contract that has an extremely remote chance of hospitalising or killing people in your demograph.

What processes would you like the vaccine to go through that it isn't, and why?

Angelo

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 22, 2020, 01:51:13 PM

Vaccines normally take 4-5 years for approval.

The problem for me is that Covid does not significantly impact people in my demograph and that's if I catch it.

What is the fatality rate for people 30-40 with no underlying health conditions? What is the rate of hospitalisation?

I'd probably rather take my chances with the possibility of me getting Covid or not than taking a vaccine that has been rushed through the normal process, has not been sufficiently tested. I'd imagine that rationale would be the same for many who have said no but I'll let them give you their reasoning.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Seaney

Why don't you volunteer to aid in it's testing.

Seaney

Proper clinical trials in which long term complications can be monitored. And why - selfishly so I don't end up worse taking an untested vaccine than I would catching a virus that won't significantly affect me.

sid waddell

Simples

If Fauci says it's safe, then it's safe

It Trump says it's safe and Fauci doesn't say that, then it's not safe

lenny

Quote from: Angelo on October 22, 2020, 02:00:05 PM

Vaccines normally take 4-5 years for approval.

The problem for me is that Covid does not significantly impact people in my demograph and that's if I catch it.

What is the fatality rate for people 30-40 with no underlying health conditions? What is the rate of hospitalisation?

I'd probably rather take my chances with the possibility of me getting Covid or not than taking a vaccine that has been rushed through the normal process, has not been sufficiently tested. I'd imagine that rationale would be the same for many who have said no but I'll let them give you their reasoning.

The reason vaccines normally take so long is due to lack of funding at each stage. Vaccines are not that attractive for pharmaceutical companies. They prefer chronic illnesses which require ongoing treatment because that's a complete guaranteed money spinner. Vaccines are often a one off treatment which is initially lucrative but it's a one off. The difference here is that this is a worldwide illness which is so damaging to economies that there has been no issues at all getting funding. Britain has funded around 60 million doses of each of about 7 or 8 vaccines because they are hedging their bets over which gives the best outcome. I've heard a few scientists talking about it and they are absolutely convinced about the safety not being in any way compromised by the speed of testing. That's good enough for me and I'd love to be one of the first getting a vaccine once they're given the all clear.

trueblue1234

There has never been a vaccine process that has had as much resources and money thrown at it as this. That alone was going to significantly reduce the length of time for a vaccine.
If I was making a decision on whether to take it or not I'd need to know what stages were cut out of a normal process. Just saying it's happened too quickly doesn't cut it unless there's evidence to say processes were changed to try and fast track it. And if there is, you'd have to evaluate the risk factor of those changes. Were they just fast tracked administrate stages, or was it on the testing? Just saying it's too quick isn't really enough.

That said, I'd definitely be researching it before deciding to go ahead. The problem will be the amount of disinformation that will be out there. It'll be a nightmare.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Chief

Quote from: Rossfan on October 22, 2020, 04:38:07 PM
If a vaccine is approved by the EU I'll be taking it.

Anybody with half a brain will do likewise.

You have to wonder how it is even a debate

sid waddell

Quote from: Chief on October 22, 2020, 04:44:21 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 22, 2020, 04:38:07 PM
If a vaccine is approved by the EU I'll be taking it.

Anybody with half a brain will do likewise.

You have to wonder how it is even a debate
Three words: Right wing propaganda

macdanger2

The reason for the shorter approval process is that anything associated with covid vaccine projects goes straight to the top of the pile, that's at the development stage, regulator review and manufacturing. The vaccine candidates are being fast tracked, not short cut.

The phase 3 trials are including 30-50k people so it's a decent sample size. However, if you give several billion people an injection of something, there will be individuals who have adverse reactions, that's just the maths of it, nĂ³ study will be large enough to mitigate that risk. Once the phase 3 trials are completed, this risk will be extremely low but not zero.

Fairly depressing that almost half of people are taking the "I'm alright Jack" approach in this survey

RedHand88

Quote from: Seaney on October 22, 2020, 03:31:57 PM

Proper clinical trials in which long term complications can be monitored. And why - selfishly so I don't end up worse taking an untested vaccine than I would catching a virus that won't significantly affect me.

Long term complications are being monitored.

Its why we don't have a marketed vaccine yet.
What is it about the current trials that isnt proper?