Sam Maguire Group 2 - Galway, Armagh, Tyrone, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markl121

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 18, 2023, 09:09:06 PM
Armagh homecoming plans tomorrow. The team will meet fans at the Carrickdale Hotel at 2pm for a drinks reception. From there they will make their way to Crossmaglen GAC pitch where thousands are expected to be in attendance to greet their heroes. The bus is expected at around 4pm.
In the evening time, the main event of the festivities will be on the Mall in Armagh at 7pm where tens of thousands are expected to gather to see the team on stage with the Finished Top of Group 2 Cup.
Will they be parading the "We didn't really lose the ulster final because penalties don't count" trophy too

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: galwayman on June 18, 2023, 09:12:14 PM
We have made it extremely tough for ourselves now.
Today was further proof - as if it were needed - that we are not the same team without Damo.
You can sing that, there is no focus up front without him.
I'd put any money on Galway Mayo from the draw for next week and given the injuries to key players and that sucker punch today, will be some test of this group. There's fine lines but that was as brutal a one point loss today as you'd get without being knocked out.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Another erratic performance from Tyrone. Probably says a fair bit about the standard of this group that Tyrone almost won it without playing very well in any of the three games.

The black card/penalty decision was incredible but ultimately Tyrone had the game won regardless yet ended up somehow hanging on at the death. The decision to sub off old heads for rookies looked extremely dubious, however tired they might have been.

Tyrone might still be awkward opponents yet - and McCurry obviously makes a big difference - but the team lacks identity. A wasted opportunity in a season where the Championship is pretty open. It looks very much like a managerial change is required once the summer is up.

Thought Westmeath did very well in all of their games. 1 point a poor return for them - they could have won the group.

anportmorforjfc

Armagh homecoming plans tomorrow. The team will meet fans at the Carrickdale Hotel at 2pm for a drinks reception. From there they will make their way to Crossmaglen GAC pitch where thousands are expected to be in attendance to greet their heroes. The bus is expected at around 4pm.
In the evening time, the main event of the festivities will be on the Mall in Armagh at 7pm where tens of thousands are expected to gather to see the team on stage with the Finished Top of Group 2 Cup.

You have little to be at  ::)

seafoid

Today was further proof - as if it were needed - that we are not the same team without Damo.
It's better to have him injured for that match than in the business end.

seafoid

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 18, 2023, 09:17:17 PM
You can sing that, there is no focus up front without him.
I'd put any money on Galway Mayo from the draw for next week and given the injuries to key players and that sucker punch today, will be some test of this group. There's fine lines but that was as brutal a one point loss today as you'd get without being knocked out.
Not unlike the hurlers last week. Both teams have to get over it and win the next day. Flukey losses have to be processed quickly.
Mayo are very inconsistent. 

clarshack

There's a lot of similarities with Armagh and Glasgow Rangers.

bennydorano

Quote from: seafoid on June 18, 2023, 09:28:43 PM
Things change so quickly, I've being saying to anyone who'll listen it's Galway for Sam this year but you could be out on yer hole next weekend if Kelly, Comer and the other lad are struggling for fitness. Unbeknownst to everyone the business end started this weekend.

Orior

Great match. Armagh played much more direct and retained possession if route was blocked. The subs were all introduced at the right time and lifted Armagh's performance.

Ciaran Mackin needs to stop telegraphing his passes, and Ethan only made one real error whoch resulted in a quick point.

I'd like to see Down or Antrim as the warm up for the Armagh match.

PS. The Galway fans at my end of the ground were full of good humour which added to the entertainment
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on June 18, 2023, 09:36:07 PM
Things change so quickly, I've being saying to anyone who'll listen it's Galway for Sam this year but you could be out on yer hole next weekend if Kelly, Comer and the other lad are struggling for fitness. Unbeknownst to everyone the business end started this weekend.
8 teams have to go before the semi finals. That's when the business end starts imo

bennydorano

Quote from: seafoid on June 18, 2023, 09:39:37 PM
8 teams have to go before the semi finals. That's when the business end starts imo
And if you're not there it's none of your business, I'd be more concerned about next weekend if I were from Galway.

An Fhairche Abu

That was a catastrophic loss for Galway in the general scheme of things, such nonsense about "business end". Dubs and Kerry turned up walloping all before them today, no surer sign we're in the business end now.

yellowcard

Quote from: bennydorano on June 18, 2023, 09:44:55 PM
And if you're not there it's none of your business, I'd be more concerned about next weekend if I were from Galway.

If repeat pairings are not allowed then Galway will face either Monaghan or Mayo next weekend. Without those 3 lads they could be gone in the space of a week. They will only have themselves to blame, they lack a killer instinct/ruthless streak or whatever you want to call it. But it's not a lack of talent.

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on June 18, 2023, 09:44:55 PM
It all depends on the draw. We can't get Tyrone. That leaves Ros, Monaghan  and Mayo. Galway are better than last 12. Even in 2018 they were.
None of those 3 are nailed on. And I would be very surprised if Armagh got to the final.

An Watcher

Just enquiring about the welfare of the galway player who got the whole head boxed off him as he was being fouled for the galway penalty