NFL Division 2 - 2021

Started by Farrandeelin, May 12, 2021, 08:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Yes indeed Cunny. Mayo only scored 9 points in the second half and my heart was in my mouth until they scored the last point to make it four. Whilst not sounding too arrogant, I did expect us to win today. We're either a serious football county or we're not. I did expect Clare would put it up to us however partly because we never put teams to the sword fully and our defensive 'system'. COC's injury just proves how valuable he is to the team. The forwards struggled to penetrate the Clare backs and if he was there, I think he might have steadied the ship up front. Job done however and promotion secured. Lots to work on in the coming weeks if Connacht is to be retained, especially if Cillian is out for a lengthy period.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macker15

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 13, 2021, 09:35:20 PM
Yes indeed Cunny. Mayo only scored 9 points in the second half and my heart was in my mouth until they scored the last point to make it four. Whilst not sounding too arrogant, I did expect us to win today. We're either a serious football county or we're not. I did expect Clare would put it up to us however partly because we never put teams to the sword fully and our defensive 'system'. COC's injury just proves how valuable he is to the team. The forwards struggled to penetrate the Clare backs and if he was there, I think he might have steadied the ship up front. Job done however and promotion secured. Lots to work on in the coming weeks if Connacht is to be retained, especially if Cillian is out for a lengthy period.

How serious is O'Connor injury? Was it knee or ankle?

Wildweasel74

What height that lad middle of the field for Clare, seemed to have a few inches over O'Shea.

Gael85

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 13, 2021, 10:18:18 PM
What height that lad middle of the field for Clare, seemed to have a few inches over O'Shea.

Darren O'Neill 6ft 6

Blowitupref

Quote from: Gael85 on June 13, 2021, 10:23:47 PM

Darren O'Neill 6ft 6

He looked to injured for the majority of the match, limping around a lot with a bandage on his knee
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Gael85

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 14, 2021, 12:06:06 AM

Darren O'Neill 6ft 6

He looked to injured for the majority of the match, limping around a lot with a bandage on his knee

He got a knee in the back and elbow in head from AOS in first 5 minutes. O'Shea dominated him around the middle after that.  He only came into game when went to full forward.  Did he bundle ball over for goal not given? I know Clare got  goal a minute later.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Gael85 on June 14, 2021, 12:41:07 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on June 14, 2021, 12:06:06 AM

Darren O'Neill 6ft 6

He got a knee in the back and elbow in head from AOS in first 5 minutes. O'Shea dominated him around the middle after that.  He only came into game when went to full forward.  Did he bundle ball over for goal not given? I know Clare got  goal a minute later.
The ball was clearly over the line but officials thought otherwise.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Lar Naparka

Ya know the old saying about somebody snatching victory from the jaws of defeat?
I'm afraid in Mayo we tend to do things arseways and yesterday was a perfect example of this. Over the years, aAttempting to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory has been far more likely to happen and it could well have happened in Ennis.
Countless times over the years, Horan's teams have played scintillating football early on and could/should have been out of sight by half time, only to lose the plot in the second half and be left hangin on in the end if they are lucky.
They were lucky yesterday and make no mistake about it. Like against Westmeath, they were 7 to 8 points a better side yesterday and still just about managed to hang on at the end. I can't see Sligo beating us but, from there on, we could be riding our luck.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

rosnarun

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 14, 2021, 11:05:30 AM
Ya know the old saying about somebody snatching victory from the jaws of defeat?
I'm afraid in Mayo we tend to do things arseways and yesterday was a perfect example of this. Over the years, aAttempting to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory has been far more likely to happen and it could well have happened in Ennis.
Countless times over the years, Horan's teams have played scintillating football early on and could/should have been out of sight by half time, only to lose the plot in the second half and be left hangin on in the end if they are lucky.
They were lucky yesterday and make no mistake about it. Like against Westmeath, they were 7 to 8 points a better side yesterday and still just about managed to hang on at the end. I can't see Sligo beating us but, from there on, we could be riding our luck.

dont see how  you can say mayo were lucky yesterday . they were in front all the way and even if they dosed off a bit in the 2nd half they still never looked like losing. nor can i see where being lucky come into it losing the 2 o connors . Cillian esp looks very worrying . any team would miss  the all time best scorer
and some bull shit artist above was saying mayo still relying on old crowd .1 the old crowd  have mainly left the scene and Boyler never gets a look in . a lot of these guy are still learning their way in senior football but 13 different scorers suggest they are taking lessons on board
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

APM

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 13, 2021, 05:54:56 PMOh to be in Ulster or Connacht and genuinely believe you have a chance at provincial honours. Finished with a very young team today. Kildare's attitude was good, Meath look like they need to freshen up management. Old heads pulled them back into it and remarkable considering Kildare's dominance for 60 mins almost pulled something out of it but not what you want to see when trying to develop and build a squad. So many teams lie between 3rd ranked and 14th ranked that it would be an exciting championship if Dublin and Kerry didn't exist. Well maybe just Dublin.

McEntee comes across very reactionary. You would imagine this year will be the end of the road for him. 
Hard to believe that Meath are where they are. Boylan was there for 23 years and in the 16 years since they have had 6 managers and done nothing.  With their populations, Meath and Kildare should be doing so much better.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: rosnarun on June 15, 2021, 04:38:24 PM
some bull shit artist above was saying mayo still relying on old crowd .1 the old crowd  have mainly left the scene and Boyler never gets a look in . a lot of these guy are still learning their way in senior football but 13 different scorers suggest they are taking lessons on board

The O'Connor brothers are part of the old guard. One made his senior County debut in 2011 the other in 2014. Both remaining on the field instead of going off in the 1st half and Mayo would have won that match far more comfortably.

The core of the current Mayo starting team is seasoned campaigners who have played in numerous All-Ireland semi finals or finals. Hennelly, Durcan, Keegan, Coen, D O'Connor, K McLoughlin, A O'Shea, C O'Connor and plus a few more options off the bench in  Doherty, Boyle, Harrison likely there for the upcoming championship.

All players that Mayo rely on nowadays and if you want to think differently and think it's a "new" Mayo team well go ahead and knock yourself out.

larryin89

Yiu dont just change the whole team in a transition period, ffs.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Blowitupref

Quote from: larryin89 on June 15, 2021, 07:51:58 PM

Some in the media would led you to believe that Mayo did change their whole team. The likes of Mullin, McLaughlin, Conroy are bedding into a ideal environment of so many experienced players to play along side with and Horan of course whos into his 7th year as Mayo manager to guide them along.

Achilles is the rumoured injury Cillian O'Connor has got if true he'll probably miss all of the Connacht championship campaign.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: rosnarun on June 15, 2021, 04:38:24 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 14, 2021, 11:05:30 AM

dont see how  you can say mayo were lucky yesterday . they were in front all the way and even if they dosed off a bit in the 2nd half they still never looked like losing. nor can i see where being lucky come into it losing the 2 o connors . Cillian esp looks very worrying . any team would miss  the all time best scorer
and some bull shit artist above was saying mayo still relying on old crowd .1 the old crowd  have mainly left the scene and Boyler never gets a look in . a lot of these guy are still learning their way in senior football but 13 different scorers suggest they are taking lessons on board
Mayo were 11 points ahead at the break and looked to be in a different class. I was still nervous because Mayo has a long-standing tradition of failing to close out games they should be able to win by double scores. I'd say if Dublin or Kerry and about a half dozen others had such a lead at the break, they wouldn't let the opposition take the game to them in the second half.
Mayo were still 10 points ahead by their 45th minute and then they were down to one single score with a few minutes left.  Having conceded two soft goals already, there was every chance they would have leaked another one.
Sure, they hung in and the last point was the insurance score but they made very hard work of winning.
Also, I think we'd have made no mistake about it a long before the end if the OConnors hadn't gone off but the damage was done at the other end.Mayo's defence is decidely shaky.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

larryin89

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 15, 2021, 08:47:01 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on June 15, 2021, 07:51:58 PM

Some in the media would led you to believe that Mayo did change their whole team. The likes of Mullin, McLaughlin, Conroy are bedding into a ideal environment of so many experienced players to play along side with and Horan of course whos into his 7th year as Mayo manager to guide them along.

Achilles is the rumoured injury Cillian O'Connor has got if true he'll probably miss all of the Connacht championship campaign.

Rumour is Achilles but I've been told through rumour of course its lights out for the season
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .