Interrailing

Started by anportmorforjfc, April 30, 2013, 11:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anportmorforjfc

Thinking of going on the 22 day interail from the first week of July. Anyone done this? Have any advice on where to go, funding etc?

Denn Forever

Haven't heard of anyone doing this in a long time.  Best of luck.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

WeeDonns

I did it in 2007.
Went to Krakow, Prague, Vienna, Zagreb, Dubrovnik, Venice, Milan, Nice, Biarritz.
It was absolutely class, wish I'd done it more times.
There's another thread on the board somewhere with more detail on it

Shamrock Shore

I did it in 1985 so I doubt my advice could be of any benefit.

My only regret is not heading to East Berlin or behind the Iron Curtain.

WeeDonns

I replied to this kinda old thread as i was going back through the pages looking for something else and the search function is broken.
Then it dawned on me, if i go to google and stick in the topic I'm looking followed by gaaboard I'll find it :)
e.g "InterRailing gaaboard"

here's the old thread;
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=8368.msg424173#msg424173

armaghniac

QuoteI did it in 1985 so I doubt my advice could be of any benefit.
I probably passed Shamrock Shore in some railway station......

My comments in the modern age is to go to places that don't have frequent cheap flights from Ireland, as these can easily be visited again.
So Nuremberg instead of Munich, Dresden (when not flooded) instead of Berlin, Kosice instead of Prague etc. With it all to do again, I'd definitely include Slovenia and places like Zagreb.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on June 12, 2013, 03:02:40 PM

My comments in the modern age is to go to places that don't have frequent cheap flights from Ireland, as these can easily be visited again.
So Nuremberg instead of Munich, Dresden (when not flooded) instead of Berlin, Kosice instead of Prague etc. With it all to do again, I'd definitely include Slovenia and places like Zagreb.

I did it in 1982. We went Larne, Stranraer, Portsmouth, Paris, Marseille, Rome, Bari, Corfu, Athens, Yugoslavia, Vienna and  Innsbruck and Berne. One of the best trips ever.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

I did it a few times in the Down wonder years

Eastern Europe is much cheaper than Western Europe so the money goes way further.
Scandinavia and Switzerland are best avoided if you want to string out the money for a while.

A tablet is probably better than a mobile for internet. Free Wifi in lots of places to draw in custom
and no savage roaming charges .

Buy a guidebook - it will be interesting to read in 20 years' time.

ziggy90

Quote from: armaghniac on June 12, 2013, 03:02:40 PM

Beautiful city, I visited it a few months ago with my daughter and her Slovakian in-laws. I'd never heard of it before but was really impressed. Reminded me a bit more of Krakow than Prague though.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered