Snooker to trial shorter format- World Championship 2009

Started by anportmorforjfc, April 09, 2009, 12:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anportmorforjfc

Snooker to trial shorter format 

A new shorter form of snooker is set to be trialled at the World Championship in Sheffield later this month.

The reduced version - provisionally titled 'Super6s' - will feature the same number of colours per frame as the regular format but only six reds.

It is hoped the new format will help snooker replicate the success of Twenty20 cricket.

It will be trialled with a contest between a legends team and a rising star side at the Crucible event.

"As an observer of snooker you cannot churn out the same diet year after year," said the chairman of World Snooker, Sir Rodney Walker. "Look at what Twenty20 has done for cricket.

"It has brought in a whole new audience so what we have in mind we think would be appealing to a younger audience.

"The working party who looked into this thought that a six-ball tournament with matches that take an average of six to seven minutes to play, with maybe the best of five, best of 10 frames," he added in the Guardian.

World Snooker has come in for some criticism of late for not doing more to keep the sport fresh or appealing.

World number one Ronnie O'Sullivan branded snooker a "dying" sport and called for it's governing body to seek ways to revitalise it.

Two-time world champion John Higgins has been particularly critical of the inability of the WPBSA to promote snooker overseas.

In August last year, the sport's two biggest sponsors - World Championship backers 888.com and Saga Insurance who supported the Wembley Masters - terminated their contracts, costing the game £1.5m.

However, on Wednesday, World Snooker announced online bookmakers Betfred.com had signed a four-year deal to sponsor the World Championship.

Puckoon

In fairness thats a load of balls. I for one shall not be cueing up for a ticket.

Speed snooker? Sure they will all need a rest.

The Watcher Pat

6 reds? It would still take that arsehole Ebdon half a hour or more to complete the frame....It would probably make him even more safety conscious as 1 mistake almost definitely costs you the frame..
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

milltown row

Mark allen doing well so far on Ronnie, one up and Ronnie missing easy ones

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: milltown row on April 23, 2009, 08:37:57 PM
Mark allen doing well so far on Ronnie, one up and Ronnie missing easy ones

Back to 2-2 now... Ronnie missed some very pott-able shots in the first frame, doesn't look on his game

milltown row

hey i was watching what i thought was live ya Ballix :o

Ronnie should kick on though steve davis talks some shite

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: milltown row on April 23, 2009, 08:45:41 PM
hey i was watching what i thought was live ya Ballix :o

Ronnie should kick on though steve davis talks some shite

Thought you were a bit slow!! I was watching the Beeb website!! No more updates then...

milltown row

6 each now, ronnie was 60 up on that last frame and Mark came back and stole it from him. maybe a shock on here

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

anportmorforjfc

Hendry 9 Ding 8. If Hendry wins the next frame its 1000 frames won at the crucible

Caid

Allen 10-9 up now

Won a classic frame

Was 60 odd points down, won on a respotted black

Great stuff
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Square Ball

Quote from: Take Your Points on April 24, 2009, 08:30:06 PM
You may all be a bit young to remember that snooker started on B&W television as Pot Black which was a one frame competition that made snooker as a TV sport.  It's popularity was down to the single frame format and hence sudden death.

diddnt it have the classic line that went something like, "for those watching in black and white, the blue ball is behind the pink!"
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Caid

When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

FermPundit

Quote from: Caid on April 25, 2009, 11:18:14 AM
Ronnies on a 147 now http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/7661693.stm

Ah he missed the last black - super stuff

Yeah, very unlukcy for Ronnie but Mark Allen has been a made a superb start to this morning's session. If Alllen can get the lead, I fancy him to go on and win. He plays with no fear and rarely refuses a shot. Great to watch
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.