Hadden steps down as Scotland Coach

Started by anportmorforjfc, April 02, 2009, 07:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anportmorforjfc

Frank Hadden has stepped down as head coach of the Scotland national rugby side with immediate effect.

Former Edinburgh coach Hadden was given the Scotland job in September 2005 and enjoyed success in his first Six Nations, with three victories.

However, the 2007 and 2008 campaigns were disappointing, yielding just one victory from five outings each time.

And he failed to meet the SRU's minimum target of two Six Nations victories per season in last season's campaign.

SRU chief executive Gordon McKie said: "It was agreed that a change in head coach is required to allow us to plan for the Rugby 2011 World Cup.

Scottish Rugby will begin the recruitment process for a new head coach with immediate effect.

Hadden's departure will come as no surprise to followers of Scottish rugby, although his position was under threat after another poor Six Nations tournament.

Scotland have finished in the bottom two of the Six Nations five times in the last six years, which is the same record as Italy.

Their 26-12 Calcutta Cup defeat by England in the final game of this season's competition was Scotland's 12th in their last 16 matches.

After the defeat by England, Hadden claimed his squad were capable of winning the Six Nations if he had the the preparation time as ngland, Ireland and Wales.

"I honestly believe that we can win the championship with this squad," said Hadden.

"We have a squad of players that is capable of being very competitive at the very highest level but I am frustrated we don't get the preparation time we want.

"I still believe we have a squad capable of doing something, with the proper preparation and the time to develop.

"The fact that the other teams have the control over the players they do makes life much easier for them.

"The two teams with the poorest preparation are at the wrong end of the championship. That's a fact.

"There's absolutely no doubt. England have had eight weeks' continuous preparation, whereas our guys have been going back and forward."