Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

Mano

Quote from: Owenmoresider on July 29, 2008, 11:53:14 PM
Harps won the Division 1 final, 0-13 to 0-9. Poor conditions ruined the game as a spectacle, but neither side looked like title-winning material. And guess who got himself sent off, again::) Oh and Egan got the line at the end too, a few scrapes with Donovan did for him.

So O'Hara and Egan got sent off. Was it for 2 yellows or for straight red? If the latter we are in huge danger on been in the relegation play offs

baoithe

Quote from: Mano on July 30, 2008, 09:03:49 AM
So O'Hara and Egan got sent off. Was it for 2 yellows or for straight red? If the latter we are in huge danger on been in the relegation play offs

He must be very frustrating for ye at times Mano.

Did any of ye read the Friends of Sligo Football News for this week on Sligogaa.ie? Who is their PRO?

magpie seanie

QuoteDid any of ye read the Friends of Sligo Football News for this week on Sligogaa.ie? Who is their PRO?

Don't you mean the Friends of South Sligo football? Don't get me started on those clowns! I read it every week for the comedy value. Absolutely hilarious some of it. This week - Unless you are on the county board or training with the senior team you must keep your mouth shut (except if you organise a few fundraisers and then you can say what you like).

baoithe

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 30, 2008, 09:34:37 AM
QuoteDid any of ye read the Friends of Sligo Football News for this week on Sligogaa.ie? Who is their PRO?

Don't you mean the Friends of South Sligo football? Don't get me started on those clowns! I read it every week for the comedy value. Absolutely hilarious some of it. This week - Unless you are on the county board or training with the senior team you must keep your mouth shut (except if you organise a few fundraisers and then you can say what you like).

Exactly Seanie. Jesus I nearly died laughing at it. It's worse this week than it has been in a long time. Is it me or does it looks like some of these guys are reading our contributions? I think I might go to their next AGM for the craic.

Mano

He must be very frustrating for ye at times Mano.
[/quote]
Very frustrating. When i played in 90's and early 2000's before every championship game in dressing room he was told to keep it zipped. On field players would try to keep him away from any flashpoints. However as you get older you should be getting more sense but he has seemed to have got worse.
A lot of referees in the county turn against a team if a player is hounding them looking for decisions and i think his injury was an advantage during our championship win last year as we got a fair crack from referees. He is becoming a bit of a liability to be honest.

magpie seanie

You'd bettter be careful Mano or the Friends of south Sligo thought police will be knocking at your door for criticising Eamon!

Come to think of it - aren't they having a pop at the county chairman too who also criticised O'Hara's decision not to play for the county ("sad and disappointing" I believe were his words)?

Some people get too excited about folk expressing a few differing opinions. Maybe they should go and live in Zimbabwe or something!

xwave7000

I agree with what's bein said here - I may get slated for this, but in my opinion O Hara needs to get over himself - he is CLEARLY not the player he once was. The way he tries to influence games by practically screaming at the referee is a disgrace, and I'm glad it's finally becoming an issue.

SLIGONIAN

How do you manage someone like O Hara? Especially when you need him and he takes advantage of knowing that? Has he ever gone to a sport pyschologist? Do people ever look at themselves and try to change...

In fairness this is long standing issue with ohara. In the 1st half against Mayo ohara got a yellow early on but in fairness the ref did hand mayo 1-2 in that half that shouldnt of been so I can understand his frustrations get the better of him but if he went to sports pyshologists he could learn loads of ways of dealing with refs better, call them by first name, ask him why he gave a particular decision in a calm manner etc... all helps get refs on side when you show respect. And we all know in the NFL hes got several reds over last few yrs.

As for friends of sligo football, i was living in dublin a while back and wanted to go to sligo dublin challenge, i contacted a friend of mine who knew one of the selectors on team from south sligo. So i got the selectors contact details and asked where and what time the game was at, he asked before he answered was I friends of sligo football dublin and I said no and he wouldnt tell me then. True story.

I feel myself as big a part of sligo gaa as anyone who plays or is involved in county set up. I pay my money through the gate. To me that gives me the right to criticise or praise anything to do with the game, mostly praise. If someone doesnt give 100% why shouldnt we say it, if someone acts the idiot and get sent off should he be bell rubbed ::).
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

baoithe

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 30, 2008, 01:35:28 PM
As for friends of sligo football, i was living in dublin a while back and wanted to go to sligo dublin challenge, i contacted a friend of mine who knew one of the selectors on team from south sligo. So i got the selectors contact details and asked where and what time the game was at, he asked before he answered was I friends of sligo football dublin and I said no and he wouldnt tell me then. True story.

I can't for the life of me understand the rationale for not telling you the time and venue for that challenge. I mean it was all over the papers at home that it was on. God things are deteriorating at an awful rate. Three year plan? Three years to wipe out any progress thats been made since 1996.

shapes

Both Egan and O'Hara were sent off for two yellows, O'Hara was booked for verbals and then as the referee was running past him he uttered a comment and the ref stopped and scrambled for his notebook to give him a second yellow and red this was five minutes before half time, Egan got a yellow in the first half, he was having a stormer in the second half and got blindsided with a hit from Donovan, it was only a question of time then before he was going to get him back and he got a second yellow for a hit on donovan only 2 minutes from full time. If Tourlestrane had two scoring forwards they would have won it.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: baoithe on July 30, 2008, 01:45:29 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 30, 2008, 01:35:28 PM

I can't for the life of me understand the rationale for not telling you the time and venue for that challenge. I mean it was all over the papers at home that it was on. God things are deteriorating at an awful rate. Three year plan? Three years to wipe out any progress thats been made since 1996.

It wasnt the Dublin challenge this yr im on about just to clarify, it was 2yrs ago in dublin. I was just showing the how differently you may get treated by being a member and not in my case.

It was a wierd conversation, he said it was behind closed doors friendly but if I was member of friends of sligo football hed tell me, I should of just said yes but he caught me on the hop. I obviously didnt get to the game but loads of people were at it. He also asked me who gave me his number. I'll put it this way it wasnt the friendliest conversation ive ever had. Looking back it was sad but being part of that clique seemed important to this south sligo selector and i wasnt so tough shite. I think he asked me what club i was from aswell which probably didnt aid my cause.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

I hear Geevagh won their objection to Connacht council about the system used by Coiste na n-óg to seperate teams on the same points in the league. We had a similar situation in U-16 where we got through (it looks now wrongly) at the expense of Curry.

baoithe

With growing discontent within the county specifically in respect of the County Board Chairman, the county board have issued the following statement:

'Centre of excellence' to go ahead
Sligo County Board will be going ahead with their plans to construct a new centre of excellence in the county, despite the current economic downturn in the country.

The development will include two three full size pitches, dressing rooms, medical rooms, meeting rooms and a host of training facilities, all due to amount to a cost of four million euro.

While sufficient funds may not be available from the government for a few years, the Sligo County Board will be hoping to secure grants from the National Lottery as well as Croke Park.

County Board chairman John Murphy has stressed that the Board are adamant to start the project as soon as possible and that the disappointing years the senior footballers have had will not effect the plans whatsoever.

"We remain very positive about the future of Sligo football and our determination to pursue the provision of a centre of excellence is an indication of our ambition," said Murphy.

It is understood that the board are also looking to construct the project within a close radius of Sligo town.

Yeah that'll appease us John for another year.

Jesus they must think we are all morons: No confirmation of funding and merely 'hoping' to receive funding from Croke Park. To top it all off it appears they don't even have a specific site now. I'm surprised they dont want to build it out in Tubber although I bet it was proposed by the clique. This statement is complete pie in the sky sh*te.

Seánie, is the planned co-operation with your club dead in the water altogether?

Teeling Gael

For various reasons Baoithe, proposed deals with Coolera and Owenmore Gaels have both fallen away. Only thing I'd say is that €4 million was a multiple ofthe figure that they felt they could contribute 12 months ago. Would question the strategic wisdom of talking about €4 million when they have ads in local paper looking for land.Smacks of soundbytes rather than strategic thinking.

Funny over the last few years , I have grown very uneasy about the exalted position "Friend of Sligo Football" have got within the County Board structure and from recent posts I dont appear to be alone. From the last PRO piece and it was no once off , they feel that their position in raising some money for the County Board gives them the right to talk down to gaels throughout the county who contribute time and effort in clubs and in the words of Sligonian , pay through the gate to watch Sligo teams. Friend of Sligo football was a very worthwhile committee certainly 5-10 years ago but in my mind has become way too politically involved in Sligo football and needs to take a hard look at itself and its purpose.

Fair play to CCC in finishing league on time but personally feel they need to take a look at fixture list of one game in 7 weeks in the middle of summer for most clubs. Indeed for a lot of teams that game is meaningless and its extremely hard to survive on a diet of challenge matches in the middle of the summer. Our chairmans address at county agm last year advising us to play our games in the summer rather than in the winter is getting more and more ironic by the week. Having 6 matches by Patricks day and 1 in 7 weeks in the middle of summer is not developing Sligo football only turning people away from GAA and causing undue stress financially for clubs and players ( lights , training , ground maintenance in the depths of winter). In fairness to CCC they have improved year on year and I hope this scheduling wont be repeated next year.

Club of the month is St Mholaises winning 2 leagues and having minor and U16 captains. Urge slight caution to Sligonian in his dreams of county domination within a few years. They wouldnt have to look too far away for a club who dominated underage football for approx 7 years in the not too dstant past and then never even threatened at senior level. But obviously they are doing huge work underage producing high quality footballers and that can only bode well for them and Sligo football.

baoithe

Quote from: Teeling Gael on August 01, 2008, 03:23:51 PM
For various reasons Baoithe, proposed deals with Coolera and Owenmore Gaels have both fallen away. Only thing I'd say is that €4 million was a multiple ofthe figure that they felt they could contribute 12 months ago. Would question the strategic wisdom of talking about €4 million when they have ads in local paper looking for land.Smacks of soundbytes rather than strategic thinking.

That's my point TG - this is just a release aimed at appeasing the growing unease at the way Sligo GAA is progressing under the stewardship of the chairman and his crew. The press release is essentially an anouncement that nothing is happening but we are 'adamant' it will happen. Holy mother of god they must think we're all complete gombeens.

Quote from: Teeling Gael on August 01, 2008, 03:23:51 PM
Funny over the last few years , I have grown very uneasy about the exalted position "Friend of Sligo Football" have got within the County Board structure and from recent posts I dont appear to be alone. From the last PRO piece and it was no once off , they feel that their position in raising some money for the County Board gives them the right to talk down to gaels throughout the county who contribute time and effort in clubs and in the words of Sligonian , pay through the gate to watch Sligo teams. Friend of Sligo football was a very worthwhile committee certainly 5-10 years ago but in my mind has become way too politically involved in Sligo football and needs to take a hard look at itself and its purpose.

Friends of Sligo Football was, as you say, a great organisation a number of years but fell away since circa 2003. Subsequent to John Murphy taking the hotseat it would seem that FOSF was rejuvenated (presumably it's raison d'etre was to raise funds) and ever since we have had to endure the weekly condescending/farcical/comical weekly propaganda statements on behalf of the clique. Give me strength.