Dustin set for Eurovision

Started by Tyronelass, January 29, 2008, 05:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyronelass

From http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/0129/eurovision.html

Dustin going for Eurovision gold?
One week after the deadline for submitting potential Eurovision songs to RTÉ, rumours are rife of an unusual entry.

Newspapers are reporting that Dustin the Turkey is one of the contenders, with his song '12 Points' ('Douze Points'), which may in itself be a tongue-in-cheek parody of all things Eurovision.

If the Dustin rumour is true, and he is selected for the Irish final, it will mean that the remaining five Eurosong finalists have to face one of the country's biggest and best-known stars in the race for Belgrade, where the 53rd Eurovision Song Contest will take place in May.

'The Den' legend, who has been an RTÉ star since 1990, has outlasted his fellow puppets on the show, Zig and Zag, and four human co-hosts: Ian Dempsey, Ray D'Arcy, Damien McCaul and Francis Boylan Jr.

The entertainer has previously released six albums and dueted with a number of singers including Bob Geldof, Chris De Burgh, Ronnie Drew, Dervla Kirwan and the late Joe Dolan.

Ireland still holds the record as the country with the biggest number of Eurovision wins, with seven awards.

After a disappointing last place result in 2007, RTÉ assembled a committee of music and media professionals, including 1992 Eurovision winner Linda Martin, to review the broadcaster's strategy for selecting the 2008 entry.

RTÉ received some 150 submissions and the committee will select six entries that will compete in Eurosong, which RTÉ will broadcast from Limerick in February.

Puckoon

Dustin, classic.

Cant find any on youtube, but that song he did with Joe Dolan was cracker. He gets my vote.

full back

He couldnt do any worse than the rest of the muppets that are on it

Rav67

I loved "32 counties and 40 shades of green"- video was hilarious.  I remember around that time a fella in my class actually had the Dustin album, it was called "Poultry in Motion"!  Gets my vote too.

his holiness nb

Joking aside, thats the sort of gimmicky shite that does very well in the Eurovision these days.
Ask me holy bollix

Square Ball

is Dustin not some sort of vulture, Oh he would get my vote, a legend indeed
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Darndale Anto

Alrigh buds i think it be bleedin rapid if dustin da turkey done de eurvision...or maybe Sprial the deadly rapper from big brother straight out of Finglas shud be da man to do it he is bleedin deadly man im tellin yeez

AZOffaly

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

qub la la la

dustin da torkey is bleedin great.

Shamrock Shore

He'll do better than John Walters and Dervish, no matter how bad he is.

Lord above that was awful shite last year.

Puckoon

Quote from: Rav67 on January 29, 2008, 05:33:59 PM
I loved "32 counties and 40 shades of green"- video was hilarious.  I remember around that time a fella in my class actually had the Dustin album, it was called "Poultry in Motion"!  Gets my vote too.

I have his faith of our feathers album. Quality tunes

"Catriona will ye stop it, yer like a red setter breadin down me neck"

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

The countdown continues to Ireland making a turkey of itself.

'Irelande Douze Pointe', sung by Dustin, a fowl-mouthed turkey puppet with a thick north Dublin accent, is now hot favourite with the bookies to win Ireland's national song contest, as the country's entry for Eurovision in Belgrade in May.

Dustin has been a star of RTÉ's The Den since 1990, and hosts his own show, Dustin's Daily News.

He has a keen interest in politics and despite never officially standing, his name has appeared on Irish election ballot papers as a protest vote.

Dustin has already released 14 singles and six albums.

His last album - Bling When You're Minging - was released in 2005 and featured the duet with Chris De Burgh, Patricia The Stripper.

His entry draws strongly on the campness of the Eurovision, featuring the lyrics: "Shake your feathers and pop your beak, shake it to the west and to the east/wave Eurohands and Euro-feet, wave them in the air to the turkey beat."

Lads, it's a Saturday night, albeit in Lent, half the country's gonna be voting for Dustin after a few beers and bottles of vino in them.  Jaysus, Mary and Joseph.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

thejuice

Great, hope he does win it, the Eurovision is a joke anyway. We must be about the only ones who still take it seriously.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016